FINKE RIVER GORGE

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 21:42
ThreadID: 109136 Views:2006 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Contemplating doing the FRG next year as part of larger trip to CYP. My question: is it considered sensible to tow a camper south to north up the gorge to Hermannsburg. Towing vehicle is an extensively touring modded 2009 Patrol 3L CRD pulling a Tvan at full GCVM. Would very much appreciate advice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 22:40

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 22:40
Unless something has changed you can't follow the Finke River all the way up to Hermannnsburg. At the point where the Finke and Ellery Ck join (which used to be called Junction Waterhole) you have to follow Ellery Ck to Larapinta Drive then on to Hermannsburg. From Hermannsburg you can go down the Finke to the Rangers Station then in to Palm Valley. The Finke from the Rangers Station turnoff down to Junction waterhole was closed off many years ago to the public due to people getting bogged and calling on the Rangers to help them. Some sections of the river bed through there are very much like quicksand at times. In one place I was walking along on quite firm sand then the leg taking the next step went down to the knee instantly. I did this section 30+ years ago, before it was closed off, with two vehicles and the track zig zagged through the river bed many times. Both of us had some issues but they were dealt with ourselves. Beautiful drive and great overnight camp half way but not advisable by yourself, even if you were allowed to do it. I do hope it will be reopened. I didn't get to do the section further South so can't comment on the advisability of towing a camper but there is a Trek with notes on this site. Like many similar places the track conditions will change quite a lot after each time the river flows.
AnswerID: 537669

Reply By: jdpatrol - Friday, Aug 15, 2014 at 05:44

Friday, Aug 15, 2014 at 05:44
Hi RKC, we did the route as per the EO Trek, in July 2008 towing an Ultimate camper with our Patrol. No problems. We travelled from north to south but i dont think that makes any difference. There were others towing who had a few problems getting through. Your rig is more than capable of doing it - you just need a bit of experience in sand, lower tyre pressures etc. It was a very enjoyable route. FWIW, I reckon the biggest 4wd challenge is the Ernest Giles Road - that is one crazy rough road - perhaps the worst corrugations we ever experienced. Cheers
AnswerID: 537673

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Friday, Aug 15, 2014 at 09:38

Friday, Aug 15, 2014 at 09:38
We did this track last year and it is well worth the effort with some great camping spots for an overnight stop.
Note that the park notes state that camper trailers are not permitted on this track, now we saw another group with trailers and I'm sure you probably will be OK with your setup.
I don't want to get into a debate about trailers - just stating the facts.

(having trouble pasting a link - here it is in text)
www.parksandwildlife.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/10585/Finke-4WD-Route.pdf

Cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 537689

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Friday, Aug 15, 2014 at 12:27

Friday, Aug 15, 2014 at 12:27
Was there about three weeks ago, it is as Geoff said about towing , although there was a camper trailer in there then , You should have no trouble with a T Van. It iswell worth the visit

Regards

TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537706

Reply By: Member - rkc47 (Mandurah, WA) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 01:03

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 01:03
Thanks all for your advice that has been noted. Have decided to do the FRG but undecided if we'll tow the Tvan. I would like too, that camper has been literally everywhere the Patrol has gone. However, I will check with the 'authorities' closer to the date. Thanks again, all responses have been very helpful
AnswerID: 537867

Sponsored Links