About my accident today

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 23:10
ThreadID: 10929 Views:1866 Replies:14 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
So i am waiting in a side street to turn left to enter a main road today with the flow of traffic on the way home from work.....When you are waiting to enter an 80-zone in a non-turbo diesel GQ you wait for a pretty big gap..... So anyway i see a car coming from behind to wait behind me (late model Falcon) but he isnt quite here yet and at the same time i see a gap so i take my foot of the brake and then decide not to be an A-hole and pull out and slow the flow of traffic down and i reapply brake again but the Falcon behind me by that stage has only got eyes for the little gap to our right and he is still travelling at about 30kmh,,,,, and he is thinking i have gone because he is looking right and powers straight into the back of me.... *******BANG*******...

Thank goodness for 5inch lift kits / steel aftermarket bumper bars / haymen reese heavy duty tow bars (which is fitted with towball for exactly these occasions) / high lift jacks mounted to the rear wheel carrier.....

Just a slightly adjusted towbar tongue angle and a bit of gold paint on my jack.....with quite a bit of damage to the falcon.....

Just one of those things........................___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: ThePublican - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 23:30

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 23:30
Hope you got all the details from the f so you can get a new tow bar tongue "ALL IN CHEEK "
AnswerID: 48827

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 00:49

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 00:49
Nissian V Falcon no contest ..go the Nissian99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Whiskey 4501
AnswerID: 48833

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:40

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:40
It really annoys me too when people try to load things in the back of your vehicle without even bothering to open the back up. I hope the falcon driver suffered in his jocks.I'd rather have my bum on a beach in Broome
Than be stuck here in this damn room.
AnswerID: 48847

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:53

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:53
He would have had more chance if he had have ask me before hand.....___________________________________

Reply By: Member - Willie Sydney - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:55

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:55
Voxson,
That reminds me of the time I had my old Landie parked in Double Bay shopping centre where it's "OK to touch park" . I was sitting in the car when a massive Merc went thump into my rear with some aggressive measuring . I didn't worry as I new I would have no damage . The next minute he reversed and left most of his lovelly grill on my tow hitch .
It was one of those golden moments that stay with you forever .
WillieWishun I was fishun
AnswerID: 48860

Reply By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:33

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:33
In all fairness to the Falcy owner, I have to say that indecisiveness on the roads is one of my pet hates (along with people who brake or slow down before indicating). Why start to head off in the first place if you're not sure? Starting and then suddenly stopping at an intersection is bad form I'm afraid...

And the attitude (not necessarily your Voxsy) that 'the 2WD was stuffed but I'm alright Jack coz I've got a big 4WD' just reinforces the tension between large 4WD owners and smaller car owners...
AnswerID: 48864

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:14

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:14
Bloody hell...where did your crawl out from?????????Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
FollowupID: 310675

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:16

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:16
perhaps you could elucidate Willem...I presume you disagree with something I said...
FollowupID: 310676

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:32

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:32
Yes maybe I should........I meant to say that you are being a Prima Donna......Most Important Person.....Top of the tree....always right......you know how to drive and do not make errors.....bah! You are probably worse than the drivers you are trying to denigrade. In Voxson's case it was better to be safe than sorry. The Falcon driver made the error. Now if Voxson was not driving a 4x4 but a 1980 model Valiant the result would have still been the same. One stuffed Falcon and some paint on the Valiant. Accidents will always happen while traffic regulations are the way they are. I doubt however that there is a foolproof solution. Tension between big 4x4 owners and smaller car owners?...its all in your mind.Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
FollowupID: 310681

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:46

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:46
yep, and we all know your enlightened views on driving without proper insurance Willem...

what sort of cars do you think the anti-4WD media and pedestrian council reps drive Willem? BTW, I drive a lifted Disco with big rubber, but 2WDrivers are people too...

whilst I respect your practical experience Willem, I think you do sometimes go off half-cocked/baked and are sometimes guilty of what is known as 'flaming' in internet parlance. Stick to the facts rather than personal assassinations...it usually helps logical debate and useful information exchange.

I wasn't having a go at Voxson whose opinions I respect...but I'm sure we have all been in the position of assuming someone had entered an intersection after they had started to take off and then got a bit of a shock when they suddenly hit the brakes after we too had started to take off. And late or no indication (not suggesting that Voxson is guilty of this) may be acceptable in the Flinders Ranges, but tends to cause problems in the city...

But to reinforce your opinion that I'm a prima donna, the word is actually 'denigrate' ;)
FollowupID: 310684

Follow Up By: Diesel Do - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:57

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:57
Queued left turn into a main road.

It seems to me that this is one driving situation very likely to end in a rear end shunt. Once the front car starts to move, the driver of the second (rearmost) car has the double task of watching any oncoming traffic to guage the gap, and to check that the front car is still moving. If the traffic is heavy on the main road and therefore needs careful monitoring, and the driver in front changes his/her mind for whatever reason (stalls etc) then whammo.

For mine, this is probably a "no fault" collision - unless you have an extra set of eyes in the right hand side of your head. I'd appreciate any tips or techniques that would make this situation safer. (Waiting until after peak hour to turn left is not a valid solution. Moving to the bush might be...)

It doesn't matter if you drive a scooter or a bus - the situation's the same.

FollowupID: 310685

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 17:15

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 17:15
Hi Pathfinder,,,Just in my own defence....

You quoted me as "heading off in the first place----starting and then suddenly stopping".........

I need to reiterate by saying and i quote "i took my foot off the brake and then reapplied it again".....

I didnt even move an inch...Merely a brake light vanquishing because he sure as heck didnt see em come back on again....

I am a very considerate driver and i was actually considering three things....

1) I dont like people having to wait behind me for too long whilst i wait for a huge gap.
2) I dont like pulling out and even having traffic needing to consider a lane change because of my actions.

I understand the attention needed to perform this task but not looking back in front of you before you take off is totally unacceptable and there is no excuse for it....

3) What if a child or anyone decided to cross the road in front of you at the time of you taking off.... Looking forward is a must....

I respect what you say but my opinion simply differs....

Regards Voxson...

FollowupID: 310722

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 22:42

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 22:42
Pathfinder, I have read your post a few times and i may have been a little hasty in saying your quoted me wrong....
I can actually read your post a few ways.... I wasnt having a go at you i was just making clear what i said......

Regards..... Voxson....___________________________________

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:59

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:59
Voxson, While waiting to get entry to fast moving traffic as was your case it appears to me you did the right thing...hell even if you did move a little and having reassessed the traffic, you stopped.

Unforntunately the person in the car behind you was not watching the traffic up front and Assumed you were going.....assumptions can cause errors.
Been there and done that myself.....i try to keep my eyes on the road now....better than hitting some one in the rear! I am human ...I think?
Must be....make too many mistakes!
FollowupID: 310875

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:12

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:12
actually I apologise Voxsy...seems I misread your post...I had assumed that you had started to head off and then braked again...and, owning a Disco, I understand the difficulties Diesel drivers face in traffic. My other transports are a 351 GT Coupe and two motorbikes - a 20m gap in traffic is all one needs to pull out and be up to speed within a few seconds with these...
FollowupID: 310943

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:10

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:10
Yeah... I know what you mean Pathy,,, I am an R1 pilot as well as the old oiler...
FollowupID: 311066

Reply By: Rowler - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:13

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:13
I've been the guy running up the back before, 3am, no traffic, car stopped in turning lane....... bang......... I look twice now!
Sorry to hear about the bingle Voxon.

Cheers Rowler (dave) Adelaide
AnswerID: 48867

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:45

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:45
Look right, look left, look right again and then right in front of you to make sure the bloke in front really has gone! I had a bloke drive right into my side once, because although he did everything else ......... he didn't check in front of him!
FollowupID: 310683

Follow Up By: sean - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 17:44

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 17:44
I did it ONCE also. I have made a few mistakes over the years and lucky to have learnt from them. When I first got my licence I was not a very compentent driver. Nowdays I am a little better but age is setting in and now I am never as good as I just was.

Sean
FollowupID: 310724

Reply By: macca - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 15:25

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 15:25
I had a young bloke in an old "commode" run under the arse of my cruiser because "Normally you dont get traffic coming from the right on this roundabout"
altered his bonnet line to some degree and reckon he would have been able to put an airscoop in the hole. Just goes to show how complacent you can get when you take things for granted ie "thought the guy in front kept going".
AnswerID: 48887

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 17:31

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 17:31
If anyone ever follows a silver Barina with a number plate that starts with NH.... in the western suburbs of Sydney beware... IT STOPS AT GREEN LIGHTS Causing mayhem & accidents. Drvien by an elderly lady driver....as I said BEWARE!
AnswerID: 48897

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:21

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:21
goodday voxson you have my sympathy i got hit the same way about 18 mths ago in my work car thebleepthat got me even if i had gone (workcar at that time sr6) there was no way he would have fitted into no gap and at his speed nor could he stop in time and then the mongrel gave false everything but i took his rego nu mber when insurace caught up to him he denied everything i dont know if he was insured but boss was getting some other work done while car was being repaired they added it to his bill for telling lies but they wouldnt tell me where he lived also had a couple of near misses sonow watch the bloke in front until hes gone and stuff them behind unmtil its safe

steveheading north 2003 devils marblesin the work car
AnswerID: 48907

Reply By: Hilly - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 20:19

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 20:19
I had it happen to me once but I was on my motorbike at the time. I ended up on my arse out in the centre of the near lane and was fortunate enough not to have been struck by the oncoming traffic. The only tip I can offer is don't look to the right until you are the car at the front. Then it is your turn to move forward and not before.
Cheers,

Hilly
AnswerID: 48922

Follow Up By: Roachie - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:03

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:03
Hilly,
You hit the nail on the head, mate. Until you're at the head of the queue, you really have no business looking at the traffic coming along that has to be Given Way to. That's how I operate and seems to work okay for me.
Roachie
FollowupID: 310784

Reply By: Brett - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:17

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:17
Any vehicle that hits a stationary vehicle is automatically in the wrong. Even if you park you car across 2 lanes of Parramatta Rd and get out and walk away and someone runs into it ,they are still in the wrong for hitting a stationary vehicle.

I learned this in court 15 odd years ago when I challenged a Neg drive infringement for hitting the door of a parked car. Only the door of the car was flung opened just as I approached. The magistrate fined the other driver 60bucks for unsafe opening of a door or some bloody thing but I still had to wear the Neg drive because I hit a stationary vehicle.

I still think I was hard done by but they are the rules and now I know.
AnswerID: 48957

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:21

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:21
This is an absolute straight up example of impatience!

What idiot drives their car forward while looking right to see the gap in the traffic???? It is so simple - the car in front enters the traffic stream - you then move forward and check right.

If there is vision to the right (not obscured by building/trees etc) then you can be looking right while you are second in the queue. This way you may see a loooong gap that both you and the guy in front can get into. But surely only a moron will then drive forward without looking to make sure the car in front has cleared away.

I go from a small side street onto a 3 lane road every day on the way home from work. I often get behind indecisive drivers who go then stop then realise they are now about to lose the front of the car because they have gone to far so then they just go and the thru traffic either has to brake or change lanes. I have even had them throw it in reverse and come back. I ALWAYS make sure that they have cleared and gone before moving into the front spot.

Given the ease with which poeple seem to get their license, the fact that people still insist on yakking on the phone, that many drivers are chowing down on a takeaway while driving and doing all manner of stupid stuff, you have to practice a technique call Defensive Driving.

Then you get posters like Diesel Do above who seem to think that this is the way to drive. In answer to your question on tips to make the situation safer - Don't move till the space in front is empty. Your turn to go will come!

It is just a sad fact of driving on our increasingly crowded streets. Much rather be out in the bush!

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
AnswerID: 48958

Reply By: uppy - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:55

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:55
Hi Voxson.Im happy that your truck is ok.Ive got news .We are moving to Perth on this Friday.Kids are looking forward to it.So when you do you big trip you are more than welcome to stay.Ive got a pic of the axe murderer.Ive showen it to my mate.He comes on the forum as patch.Anyway are you still interested in selling those springs.Keep in touch my mobile is 04072-75220 as ill be off line for about 3 weeks
regards the uppys
AnswerID: 48977

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:54

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:54
I don't know where you're moving from Uppy, but you'll see and meet some real turkeys on the roads over here!
Just remember, you can do virtually anything you like on the road as long as you don't speed because the coppers are too lazy and incompetent to bother about any other offence!
This is a place where those extra sets of eyes all around your head would be really handy.
Happy motoring, just be very alert, especially on the so called freeways.
FollowupID: 310834

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:44

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:44
Just been laughing at this thread and couldnt stop reading....finally go to this post.

I reiterate: BEWARE WA DRIVERS!!!!!! I am a born and bread West Aussie (returning soonish) though currently live in NSW, have lived in QLD and have driven in all states, Indonesia, Chile, Peru, USA, Argentina and Brazil.

I was in Perth recently and kid you not they are still the worst drivers i have ever come across. I had 3 incidents of road rage (almost) because i flashed a slow driver in the right lane to move into the left so i could pass,
I pulled out in front of someone with only 3 semi trailer lenghts to squeeze into and last but not least i was travelling slowly (50kms) in the left lane on a busy road looking for street numbers.

Beware the WA drivers. Besides that and the general level of aggression that i think West Aussies have (I assume because there arent many people there so they dont have to squeeze into crowded benues or line up like you do in a lot of places) you will love it!!!! It is the best place i have ever lived, visited, sailed, water skied, dirt biked, 4wd +++++++.

Oh and my mother in law lives there, bugger!!

Enjoy the west its BRILLIANT

Peter

FollowupID: 310842

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:05

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:05
crap er I mean rubbish! they cant be worse than SA drivers. I live here and I can not beleive how selfish SA drivers are. I am human ...I think?
Must be....make too many mistakes!
FollowupID: 310877

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:39

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:39
Hi Uppy, As i said in another post i will not get to Perth this year but i will next year....And yes i still have the 50mm GQ springs.... Just tell me when you settle in and we will send em.... Take Care...

Nudenut... I rekon Mt Gambier is the holy grail of crap drivers....

Peter... Next year when i go to WA i think i will be on my best behaviour...___________________________________

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:41

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:41
Voxson
Ive been in a Cressida at an intersection, and done thesame thing, only to be hit by a Delta 200 who was doing what the falcon driver was doing. Quite common for this to take place. Just let that Delta try again, the cressida was washed in growplus!
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 49036

Sponsored Links