new patrol price reductions

Did anyone else see adds by nissan offering new v8 patrols reduced from 90k down to 60k....???
I know that when they first came out our local dealer didnt sell one in the first 12 months...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 07:01

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 07:01
With many dealers still trying to get rid of 2012 stock and sales of about 10 a month Australian wide, they have been negotiating down to $60-65k since December in the eastern states. The head of Nissan Australia was quoted as saying 20 sales per month would be good. That's about the same as the number of Landcrusiers that Toyota sell by morning tea every day.

Nissan have also cancelled sponsorship of 4wd events that they have been involved with for years like Beyond Hotham. Even Pat Callinhan's 4x4 appears to have dropped the Nissan branding in the last month or so.

With negligible sales of the Y62, GU ceasing production next year, Pathfinder going to a soft roader petrol only model, and New Navara dropping the V6 and having a 2.3l 140kw 45onm diesel as the most powerful power plant, they are really exiting the Australian 4wd market.

Pity. Lots of people were hanging out for a V6 diesel GU. That would be a great 4wdBut instead of keeping the GU and adding the V6, Nissan chose to drop the V6 and drop the GU.

Obviously Nissan are only focused on the Middle East and US for larger vehicles, and that means Petrol only. Australia is left out in the cold.

AnswerID: 538419

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 09:12

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 09:12
Very hard to disagree with any of your comments here
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 822860

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 08:23

Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 08:23
"Obviously Nissan are only focused on the Middle East and US for larger vehicles"

Yes it is where there biggest markets are and it makes business sense to do that.... on the other hand they could build a diesel version for Australia and charge accordingly.

People think the Prado and 200 series are a rip off..... the diesel version of the Patrol would make the Prado and 200 series look cheap.

All vehicle manufactures offer vehicles that the majority of buyers want and not what the minority think they should build.

These small high output diesels are a bit of a worry as you can not beat cubes when towing.

Trucks did it back in the early 90's with many manufactures saying "these new 10 and 11 liter engines are all you need", not they are all 13 to 17 liters.

Again our market and demands are so small we will never get what we want or require.

People want SUV style vehicles not real 4x4's.

As for the GU, the design, architecture and dynamics are early 1990's and are not world standards for a vehicle in that class.

If it was a vehicle everyone wanted the GU would be out selling the 200 series and people would be pocketing the 30 grand savings.

Toyota only sells the 70 series as there is nothing else in that class unless you spend over 100 grand....... I would say the 70 series is nearing the end of the road.
FollowupID: 822931

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 09:13

Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 09:13
".... I would say the 70 series is nearing the end of the road."

Maybe, but there is a lot of noise about a new / update 70 to be released in September ( this month) . ANCAP 5, even auto transmission, and even wider rear track.

Who knows if this is right or not but Toyota have certainly miked the 70 series. One thing they really do right is localise it for different markets.

HZ only option in most of Africa, Petrol only option in middle east and V8 here and in parts of Europe. There are still a lot of 70's sold world wide, unlike the GU.
FollowupID: 822940

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 18:19

Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 18:19
With vehicle manufactures the only time you can believe an updated model is coming is when the new model hits the show room floor.

For the last 3 years there has been talk of a new Hilux...... Now they are talking late 2015, early 2016.

A few mining companies here in Australia run the current 70 series with the 1HZ, most run the V8 version as it can be used on public roads unlike the 1HZ version.
FollowupID: 822977

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2014 at 07:19

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2014 at 07:19
Yes, you can see a 'new' model 70 released 2 weeks ago on the Toyota Japan website - though it has the 4.0 V6 petrol in Japan. There is no sign of any of the rumored features such as ANCAP 5 etc. Lets hope Japan is getting our old models.
FollowupID: 822993

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2014 at 13:57

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2014 at 13:57
It the same model as currently available here in Australia, It is a new model for Japanese consumers as it has not been sold in their market for 10 years and has just be reintroduced.

They reintroduced it to their consumer market to celebrate 30 years of the 70 series.

Don't get you hope up to high until the new model hits the showroom.... if it ever does.
FollowupID: 823003

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 09:41

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 09:41
Yes they have been very cheap for some time now Pepper - actually had a brand new one pass me other day and I didn't recognize it , then I speed up and got close enough to read the name , never had to do that before with Patrols.

Your observations are why I analysed the market in 2011 and brought the last ever 4800 petrol GU.

GUs are the car of choice around here and with 12 years of history they will be good for years yet however I do wonder about next car I get.

Some of this stuff and reasons why people buy cars is quite interesting - last week the Herald sun here had a large article on Discoveries and showed that there purchases are lead by lady drivers, who couldn't give a stuff if the couldn't get a fan belt at Birdsville.
This apparently got analysts at land rover all worked up because they had so badly miss understood there own market.
Nissan could do no better , to not bring out the V6 in the GU was a brain dead descision.

This is also my problem with a new Patrol - its a great car and in recent tests had almost no fuel use difference from 200 series in a Sydney Simpson/Mt Dare return trip.
But with those sales it will never have the knowedge base/spares availaility outback/add aftermarket bits backing of the GU.
If you can't work on it or get a fan belt at Birdsville etc, I don't want it.

4 Years after I brought my latest Patrol , my second choice a 200 series , can still be got at same $83k on road cost and one wonders if one should plan to buy one as they run them out which could only be a couple of years away.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 538425

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 10:50

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 10:50
Robin was that trip the one from Sydney across the Simpson wher they also compared the RR and the Mercedes?

If so the Patrol did nearly get the same economy but to be fair the Patrol was stock and the 200 was the mule loaded with a roof rack and all the fuel, water fridge, recovery gear, and supplies for the whole trip.

The only vehicle it didn't have to carry extra fuel for was its self. The only one that made it with our refueling.

Comparo

Apologies if that isn't the one you are referring to.
FollowupID: 822873

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:06

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:06
Hi BooBook

No it wasn't that test (that one wasn't really fair).

We did have a post about it, maybe 4-5 months ago , which we could find I guess , but from memory it was 15.3lt/100km Cruiser and 15.6 patrol with Patrol winning on highway and worse on dessert.

If I could get someone to guarantee those results when I drove (else money back) then I would much more seriously consider the Patrol (but probably still wouldn't get it.)

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 822876

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 12:04

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 12:04
I have seen some pretty respectable economy figures posted on the Patrol Forum, much better than I would have imagined...

Also I have seen my fair share of 30l/100km plus towing across deserts in the 200. I know it can drink when under load too.
FollowupID: 822884

Follow Up By: briann532 - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 16:05

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 16:05
On the flip side..........

If you're saving 30K on the buying price, you can get a lot of fuel for a few years...........

Oh and did anyone mention how "sexy" they look.............

I'm one of those who went to yota's because of no diesel, but If I could have got one for 60K, I would have jumped at it.

FollowupID: 822895

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 08:12

Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 08:12
I can beat that BooBook - I got 30lt/100km across the Simpson and I wasn't even towing.

That works for me Brian , there was about $35k difference between my 4800 GU and 200 series in 2011 when I brought.

I genuinely put the cash aside and its interest exceeded the fuel saving I would have got with the 200 , and I still have the $35k in real cpi adjusted dollars.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 822930

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 09:05

Monday, Sep 01, 2014 at 09:05
Careful Robin, we're on the precipice of a Petrol vs Diesel justification hijack.

We need to step back a few meters for safety LOL.

FollowupID: 822938

Sponsored Links