Comment: EOTopo

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2014 at 17:33
ThreadID: 109389 Views:2431 Replies:2 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Trying to download EOTopo onto a Mac. No luck can anyone tell me if this programe will work on a Mac. I have a Hema6 which I can look at but not do anything with on a Mac. Frustrated..
Capnbazza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2014 at 17:59

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2014 at 17:59
Hello

EoTopo is not a "programe" ..it is a set of maps in ECW and OZF4 image format. You need to find a program that runs on a Mac that displays ECW or OZF format files. Many options for PC users but limited options for Mac users. Not sure of any free gps map programs for Mac but maybe try CompeGPS Land (has free trial) or Mac GPS Pro.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 538571

Follow Up By: capnbazza - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2014 at 18:11

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2014 at 18:11
Thanks Greg, will check out the site.

Cheers
Capnbazza
FollowupID: 823079

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2014 at 18:19

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2014 at 18:19
No worries

...also some people use "emulators" that allow you to run PC programs on Macs which may represent an alternative solution i.e. run OziExplorer or some other PC GPS mapping program via emulator.

I have no idea of the process involved or if it will work in your circumstance, maybe someone else can help.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 823081

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 19:25

Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 19:25
Re Emulators: This archived post has some info on emulator options so you can run windows gps mapping software (e.g. Oziexplorer, TwoNav Memory Map) on a Mac. Not sure if suggestions are still current but worth investigation.

Mapping Software for Apple Mac - Old thread 2009

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 823217

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 13:09

Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 13:09
Capnbazza, may I suggest you read the following FAQ Article. It will explain everything you need to do about compatibility and options.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538592

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 14:02

Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 14:02
Hi

Unfortunately the FAQ (or any associated links on the FAQ page) does not appear to have anything whatsoever about how to use EOTopo/GPS Mapping programs on an Apple Macintosh computer (a Mac), does mentioned iPhone and iPads but these are a different beast.

As I posted above there are a couple of programs I know of that may be suitable....but probably need to do a bit more research and/or track down a Mac user with some knowledge on the subject to provide comprehensive list of options.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 823125

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 20:47

Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 20:47
My point was just to show the other options he could consider instead.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 823151

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 21:32

Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 21:32
?No worries - my point was that the FAQ doesn't "explain everything you need to do about compatibility and options" and my response is probably best seen as a friendly suggestion that the FAQ be updated to include Mac compatible map viewing programs.

From what I can figure they exist but currently no mention in the FAQ whatsoever (i.e. the FAQ fails the "will explain everything" test)..just a thought. Easy enough (subject to more research) to add a Mac section in the FAQ so that those contemplating purchasing digital maps can do so with a bit more confidence.

Also (and most importantly) it is bad Karma to suggest as an "option" that a Mac user get a PC. I wouldn't do it :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 823154

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:22

Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:22
Sure Greg. Whilst I'm not sure that the purpose of our FAQ here is to give details beyond this, I hear you and would gladly review any details you are willing to put forward for inclusion into the article. It's not something we've looked into or had any call for AFAIK. As Customer Service manager, Adele compiled this article based on the most common queries and its dramatically reduced the number of calls/emails asking the same thing.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 823183

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 17:58

Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 17:58
Yeah sorry it probably doesn't rate as an FAQ...but could go in the Mapping Software article (for example).

Also I am probably not the best person to provide any input as I have no direct experience with a Mac + mapping software. All I know can be gained in 1 minute using Google. I was just trying to help the OP based on the limited knowledge I do have. I have been asked about Mac and my maps before but have never been able to provide a definite answer/solution.

Apart from finding Mac compatible software some image formats are not supported so this needs to be considered when answering questions as well e.g. MacGPS Pro is a Mac compatible mapping software but it wont open ecw or ozf image formats (AFAIK) so it is not an immediate solution to using EoTopo (or any other maps in those formats)

Anyway ..food for thought

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 823210

Follow Up By: capnbazza - Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 12:11

Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 12:11
Thanks Fellas, didn't know I would open up such a large discussion but maybe in doing so, someone with a little more nouse than I may know of a soloution that allows one to use a Mac with the mapping programes available only in Windows. In the meantime I will struggle to understand how to use my Hema6 properly.

Two steps forward, one step back and I fall into a bloody big hole.

Cheers

Capnbazza
FollowupID: 823247

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 15:37

Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 15:37
I have a Macbook Pro, and have installed Windows on a partion via the Bootcamp option. It means I have a Mac AND a PC in the one computer. Your Hema comes set to run on PC - use the PC side of the Mac to run EOTopo ……. not that I've done that :-)

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 823252

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 01:55

Sunday, Sep 07, 2014 at 01:55
I have looked into this also and the only solution I have found is the one Laurie K mentions above.
I run windows on my Mac via Bootcamp and use OziExplorer.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 823283

Sponsored Links