conquerer campers

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 04, 2014 at 19:30
ThreadID: 109395 Views:3427 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I am
shopping for my next camper trailer and very interested in the conquerer brand because of the sleeping space paticulaly the uev490 0r 440. Do one have any feedback please
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 00:13

Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 00:13
Best to lay down on the beds in the uev490. I am 5'10" and my legs hang off the front bed.....conqueror told me to lay at an angle...wtf ?

I ended up with an Echo Kavango. Much bigger beds, lighter, better finish, much more refined.....and does not need a dust pressure system as they don't leak through the doors and pop rivets. They also have an internal or external ensuite option.

Brett...
AnswerID: 538623

Follow Up By: Member - gaz 290 - Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 13:02

Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 13:02
Thank you disco tourer for your input , that will help me decide. Im hoping they have a demo model at the camping & caravan show in Penrith this W/E . I am looking for a camper with all the bells &whistles and will have comfort and resale value. Might be the last camper I buy to see me & the grand kids through my caming days lol thanks again
FollowupID: 823193

Reply By: Trevor P4 - Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 16:37

Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 16:37
Geez Discotourer that was a great effort at justifying your own purchase. Ignore the comments on the fan pressurising the Conquorer units from dust.... it works

I too almost purchased the Kavango and for no other reason it came down to cost, yep they both have there issues but when Conquorer brought out the Commander I grabbed one at great price. It has been to the Flinders, Roxby downs and Fraser Island to name a few without any problems. The after sales service has been great as I am sure Daniel and crew at Echo would provide as well.

Enjoy

AnswerID: 538660

Follow Up By: Member - gaz 290 - Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 22:18

Friday, Sep 05, 2014 at 22:18
I have seen the conquerer at previous shows & was impressed thats why the interest. I have researched the echo and will be seeing it at the show in penrith on sunday . Discotourer please tell me how it handle the corrogation, stones&other roads eg tanami, gibb plenty being fibre glass thanks
FollowupID: 823223

Reply By: Freshstart - Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 08:46

Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 08:46
This may be a rare happening but we were told of one other on the same track. I am not trying to undermine Conquerer either. We don't tow any vans etc at all because we find the roof top tent more suitable to our travels..

When we got to Kunawaratjii on the CSR, there was a Conquerer up on blocks, which had the whole hitch 600 mm long (approx) hitch assembly break away from the a-frame. Luckily a travelling mechanic welded it back into place. Apparently it had happened to another one also on the same track. But I didn't see the other one so don't quote me on it.

As said this may be rare but keep your ears open. I do not know what model etc.
AnswerID: 538684

Follow Up By: Member - gaz 290 - Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 09:40

Saturday, Sep 06, 2014 at 09:40
Thanks Freshstart for that info, a bit disappointing but good to know as the CSR is one of the trips I yet to do cheers
FollowupID: 823236

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 13:11

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 13:11
Sorry buddy.....been away for a few days with work in Sydney.

Dust entry is based on a friend that has one (and have seen it first hand)....and it has the dust pressure system behind the passenger side front door, which turned me off. We travel together on occasions.

Tanami, GCR, Meerenie Loop, Israelite Bay, up through Mt Augustus, through the Pilbara....all handled fine, with no issues. Meerenie Loop was pretty bad, but would not rate it as severe as the CSR and of course not as long. I will be travelling the CSR again in July 2015, and have no concerns in taking it down, but common sense, slower speed, lower tyres pressures all play a part. You will even wreck a 100 series front suspension on the CSR, if you go to fast and not lower your pressures. I would expect my mates conqueror to travel the CSR without issue, as he too takes it easy and drops pressures.

I saw the echo boys this morning.....and they were at the show, so I guess you had a good look over it.

Good luck with your decision.

Brett.....
AnswerID: 538787

Follow Up By: Member - gaz 290 - Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 22:06

Monday, Sep 08, 2014 at 22:06
Thanks discotourer, I had a good look at kavango at the penrith show on sunday and was quite impressed but still concerned about how the fibre glass handles the stones and corrogation. I have been invited to the Echo warehouse for a closer demo in Windsor.Hope to catch up with you in the outback some day cheers mate
FollowupID: 823397

Follow Up By: DiscoTourer - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 21:00

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 21:00
Hi Gaz,

It's a steel skeletal frame, coated in fibreglass. About 200kgs lighter too.

I have a stonestomper fitted....no damage at all.

Underneath gets hammered as you would expect but all good there too.

Plenty of tight tracks and no scratches to the side that are noticeable. Have polished it once with a marine formula and all good.

Brett....
FollowupID: 823433

Follow Up By: Member - gaz 290 - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 03:59

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 03:59
Hi Bret thanks to you I'm getting more sold on the kavango. The weight is a plus. How do you go for storage for things like extra fuel generator& say firewood? A stone guard is a must.i will be going to the warehouse next week to have a closer look & set up before I place my order.Of all the campers I saw at the show kavango impressed me most. That front bed is great for when I take the grandkids on short trips. Who know I might see you on CSR next year haha cheers mate
FollowupID: 823441

Follow Up By: DiscoTourer - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 01:33

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 01:33
Hi Gaz,

It comes with two jerry can holders on the front within the body/frame. The guys (Josh and Scott) have organised two blue steel water jerry cans to replace the fuel jerry cans as I can carry sufficient diesel under my car for about 1000kms towing the trailer on soft sandy tracks like the CSR....otherwise normally good for about 1500kms on the road.
The guys have also built a box for the aframe that opens up which can hold a loo or generator....extra cost of course.
Firewood....I have seen on the net where someone has fitted a rack above the rear spare, and someone that built a fold down rack underneath the rear cutaway.
With storage top and bottom inside, the pantry, the mini bar/breakfast fold down on the outside, and a couple of small boxes under the bed while travelling.....was good for our last 6 week trip.
It's extremely clever in the way it all works.
The front bed so much bigger then the conqueror.....the internal bed is too and no spots to whack your head on.
As we travel with two kids, the main bed is left set up.
I often go away for weekends with my son, and don't even need to open anything up....just leave bed setup and even on the coldest nights it's nice and warm....and well insulated from outside noise.

Brett....
FollowupID: 823577

Follow Up By: Member - gaz 290 - Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 23:06

Friday, Sep 12, 2014 at 23:06
Hi Brett thanks, well I wiil have a few things to add to the new camper as I have done to my previous campers.What are you driving, your fuel consumption is good. Last year I went from Boulia to Aliceon just over half tank and Alice to Hallscreek on thre quarter tank on my prado which has 150 litres tank plus I carrierd 80litres in the tool box of the trailer but didn't use any of that. I'm keen to know haw much fuel you carried on the CSR trip & did you organize a fuel dump point. Im in the planning stages for a trip as I have done a few of the other tracks and the CSR & Arheimland are the 2 I haven't done so it would great to get as much info hopefully for next year sometime. I am a loner as my wife doesn't like the outback so all my trips around oz have been on my own, but I have met some great fellow travellers. Im having new tyres &shocks fitted next month.where are you based? I'm in sydney cheers Gary
FollowupID: 823611

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Saturday, Sep 20, 2014 at 19:43

Saturday, Sep 20, 2014 at 19:43
Gidday Gaz
I am a proud Conqueror 490 owner having purchased mine in late 2009.

I am retired and have been on the road full time in my Conqueror for 5 years now and have had no issues with my UEV

I have covered many 1000's of kms and the Conqueror has not let me down

I have put a link to my SPOT tracker page below - if you open it and change the "History' field to "ALL' and then click "GO" you can see where I have been in the last 5 years

Only too happy to talk to you about the Conqueror

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2d464de362759825a

FollowupID: 823945

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Saturday, Sep 20, 2014 at 19:47

Saturday, Sep 20, 2014 at 19:47
FollowupID: 823946

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Saturday, Sep 20, 2014 at 19:52

Saturday, Sep 20, 2014 at 19:52
My "Around Oz'pics
FollowupID: 823947

Sponsored Links