I feel like I'm a 2nd class citizen

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 18:49
ThreadID: 109453 Views:4333 Replies:11 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
On our way home from an extended trip away and one thing that is starting to really irritate me. We mostly free camp but you do need to use caravan parks for different reasons. When we do, we ask for a non powered site as we don't need power. Almost without exception, the non powered sites are in the most non desirable location, far from camp kitchens and ungrassed.
You pay the same site fees as caravans yet as soon as you say your in a camper, they gove you the worst sites.
We pulled in to a park near a lake in Broken Hill and the unpowered area was deploreable. I have seen better rubbish dumps frankly. Went back to the office and paid the extra $10 for power and ended with a flat site and just bare earth whilst the grassed sites go unused. Will stick with bush camping in future.
stepping off the soap box now.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 19:29

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 19:29
Hi Des,

Sad to hear mate.
On our trip to the Kimberley, we tended to use Caravan Parks more often than usual.
Usually powered sites which wern't much dearer.
Our "problem" was there was to vehicles with campers and we wanted two adjacent sites.

We were somewhat surprised to get the best available sites, sometimes at short notice and the fact that we had camper trailers and not caravans did not seem to matter.

This was in places like Kununurra and Broome where we stayed for two or more nights.
Perhaps we were there just before the main "Grey Nomad" migration and therefore more sites were available.

Like you, we normally avoid caravan parks but based on our recent trip, it would seem to depend on where you are rather than what mobile accommodation you have.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538858

Reply By: Happy Frank - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 19:58

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 19:58
I haven't had that problem, we had some good sites on our recent trip despite being in campers, perhaps it's your attitude?
AnswerID: 538860

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 20:23

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 20:23
Franky boy, you know me, you couldn't wish to meet a nicer bloke.
Some places have been really good where a lot of others leave a lot to be desired.
FollowupID: 823429

Follow Up By: Happy Frank - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 07:52

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 07:52
Until we got far enough north to be warm we used a few powered sites so we could run a heater this year. Never seen so much frost in Qld.
FollowupID: 823447

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:23

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:23
When someone tells you about them themselves like "you couldn't wish to meet a nicer bloke"

Alarm bells ringing!

And......"you feel like a 2nd class citizen" over this problem.....................then you have no idea of human worth.

Sorry.
FollowupID: 823459

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 17:30

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 17:30
Cruiser Happy Frank is a friend hence the banter and no offence taken.
cheers Des
FollowupID: 823483

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 20:57

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 20:57
Des
We have found many times that unpwered sites have been in the back blocks of parks and you would have trouble pitching a tent on flat ground. I carry wooden blocks to level my camper and have had to ask for a powered site to get level ground But most times that we use parks the unpowered sites are suitable for us though.
Mayed we expect to much due to us having to pay for a site. When we have payed for a powered site it's only been a few dollars differance any how.

Cheers Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 538864

Reply By: Top End Az - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 21:02

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 21:02
On our road trips we usually "tent" it so more often than not we stay in caravan parks for ablutions etc which we are happy with. Many of the free camps aren't suitable for tents.

We aren't retired and don't have a caravan or camper and it's usually for school holiday periods so we are on a timetable, as are many. Our 4wd does have dual battery etc so we don't need power for fridge and lights etc and our kitchen setup is good.

We have found the park operators understand we have a tent so usually give us good grassy sites near the camp kitchens if they have them. Maybe the parks save the sites close to amenities for those folk without campers. Not sure if that's the reason but just our experience.
AnswerID: 538866

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 22:39

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 22:39
Des,

I know the park you refer to and will not hesitate to name it ....... Lakeview Caravan Park, on the North side.

We stopped there last year and, like you, requested a non-powered site. We were directed to an area that also served as a rubbish dump, far from any facility. The onlywater tap did not operate. We returned to the office and protested strongly and was eventually given a powered site without additional charge.

The camp kitchen was some distance from that new site and had seen better days.
All I can say is that we will not return. The BH Tourist Park on the South side looks to be of much better standard, although more formal.

Certainly, many parks locate their unpowered sites a bit further from the amenities, but at least that can have the benefit of more space, trees and privacy.

Sometimes we will drive through for an inspection before booking-in but some, as with the Lakeview, do not lend themselves easily for that.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 538874

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 23:04

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2014 at 23:04
There is a very simple eason the non powered sites are further from the facilities.

COST...they are going to wire the sites closer to the power supply now aren't they.

The of course they will charge more for the better sites..that means the better sites will get powered.

There is no excuse however for renting someone a rubbish tip.
I am sure there are some operators out there who,will look on people asking for non powered sites as cheap scates and treating them accordingly.

Maybe it might be a good idea to look at the site before you cough up.

cheers
AnswerID: 538878

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 06:48

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 06:48
Speaking specifically about Broken Hill my suggestion is to stay at Penrose Park at Silverton, only an extra 20 kilometres from "The Hill" very pleasant surroundings with plenty of room...

And a short pleasant walk through the bush to the pub!

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 538884

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 07:31

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 07:31
Gday
Top pace to stay Baz.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 823445

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:24

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:24
Thanks Landy, I'll remember that.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 823448

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:25

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:25
This has prompted me to do a short blog write-up, I meant to a couple of weeks back!

Cheers,
FollowupID: 823449

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:03

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:03
Goes to show how different people can be.
We have solar etc so often ask for an unpowered site for the reason that they usually ARE a bit isolated. We'd rather have it a bit rough than be too close to others.
Not a rubbish tip though!

Paul
AnswerID: 538888

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 09:17

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 09:17
Whinge and whinge , of course the unpowered sites are furtherest away from amenities , in nearly all parks the unpowered sites are in a stage of development , costs $$$$$ to run power and water and grow lawn , then you get " I only want an unpowered site but close to the kitchen block [so I can use its power for free] and it must be grassed with a nice view "……. Grassed sites NEED time to recover after use……...
AnswerID: 538892

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:17

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:17
Here, here.............the never of some to complain being "given" as described "rubbish tip" site to camp on.

We should all call these "rubbish tip" sites "a development stage for un powered sites"..............................OH PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you on????????????????????

FollowupID: 823458

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:10

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:10
C'mon Alloy, ........... have you actually seen the park in question?

Of course unpowered sites are furtherest away, and as I said, that can be an attraction. But this one is quite remote and old. Water had been run to it, but it was NOT WORKING! Did not ask for grass!
Are you related to the park operators?

This area was NOT in development as a camping area. It was a patch of bare soil surrounded by piles of rubbish, old machinery, demolished building materials and general rubbish. IT WAS A RUBBISH TIP. We are accustomed to 'roughing it' but this was extreme and ugly and unhealthy.

The camp kitchen was actually closer to the 'non-powered' area than to the powered sites, but was in a poor state of maintenance and unhygienic. We actually decided to not use it.

It was late in the day, we did not know where an alternative park was, so we grudgingly put up with it. But never again!

I suggest that unless you have actually inspected it, you keep your critical comments to yourself.

Incidentally, it was not a whinge here. It was a warning to others as clearly it has not been cleaned up since we visited 12 months ago.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 823468

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:44

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:44
Allan B , my comments are a generalisation and not of any particular c/van park , the expectation of service / amenities provided are more often than not way way above the price the traveler is willing to pay , you don't stop and stay at an old outback pub and expect the same amenities as staying at the Marriott or such do you ? Same goes for C/van parks , the less you pay the less you get..
FollowupID: 823469

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 13:17

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 13:17
"Generalisation"? Yeah, yeah, sure. Not related to Des Lexic and my posts at all.

Incidentally, is there 'another' Broken Hill someplace? Because this website does not match the place we stayed at.
Their photo looks as though it was taken in New Zealand!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 823471

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 15:42

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 15:42
Ha ha! Like some of the photos in the Camps Australia books.

FollowupID: 823475

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 17:39

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 17:39
The thing that irks us the most is that you pay the same site fee as a powered site less the cost of the power. There are plenty of un used power sites here but the unpowered sites are disgraceful and don't compare. My whinge isn't restricted to this park alone.
FollowupID: 823488

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 17:44

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 17:44
In fact, I have just noticed. The caravan door is not on the nearside, so it is probably an overseas photo. Really honest ethics too.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 823489

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 21:52

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 at 21:52
G'day Mr Lexic, interesting indeed, and misleading photo Allan B. Welcome back to you Lexics. I miss the photos now on your blogs. You going to venture down to the Pyrenees Gathering? Parhaps your passports aren't up to date?
FollowupID: 823507

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:46

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:46
The image was "taken in the mountains" and is available for sale on "Shutterstock" (image ID 997332).

It also appears on a banner of the Venice Caravan Park at Hartley, NSW.

Not uncommon these days, but might leave you wondering where the view is when you arrive!
FollowupID: 823531

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 13, 2014 at 17:51

Saturday, Sep 13, 2014 at 17:51
Never mind the caravan in that pic Allan B, the site is way too flat to be the Lake View anyway. LOL.

The grass is also a lot redder in Broken Hill than in that pic too. LOL.

I have stayed there on several occasions now and for sure the place could do with a face lift.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 823633

Reply By: LeeJ - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:37

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:37
I always thought the non-powered section was often secluded because parks assumed non-powered campers wanted a more peaceful and naturalistic experience.

Shows how much I know!
AnswerID: 538948

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 22:57

Thursday, Sep 11, 2014 at 22:57
Drove Perth-Darwin year before last in a big motorhome and we were surprised at the wide variation in caravan park sites.
A lot depends on the owners attention to the site layout and shade. Some are very ordinary and will never change. Some are just plain poor because they haven't been established long enough.
Worst was caravan park at the Bungles. Paid $25 for an unpowered site, got positioned in a patch of bush, 300M from the ablutions, that were good for about 3 people at a time!
We had no lighting at night, a dirt track down to the site, no water, absolutely NOTHING!
Went crook at the missus (who booked - I was carrying an injury that stopped me from walking, but not driving), and told her we could have camped in the bush for nothing, and had exactly the same facilities!!
Hamelin Pool station site was pretty sparse, but the people were nice, they've spread shell grit to keep the dust down, and the ablutions were very good. Shame about the ablutions water that felt like it came straight from the ocean!
One of the nicest we found was the Parrys Lagoon Farm park - but don't ask for water!!
AnswerID: 538989

Sponsored Links