Maxtrax on the roof for 8 months

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 12:34
ThreadID: 109687 Views:7657 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day

After reading all the horror stories about maxtrax copies, (cracking & splintering due to the weather issues) I have recently purchased my Maxtrax originals.

My question is, if I put them on my roof racks for my trip around the country am I best to cover them up? they are UV protected, but 8 months is a long time & hopefully I never use them, so they will stay there for the whole trip.

Cheers
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 14:02

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 14:02
why do you need someone to tell you what to do ?
just rap them in a pice of tarp .pretty simple !!
mechpete
AnswerID: 539795

Follow Up By: Member - Sanantone - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 14:38

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 14:38
You don't know the answer either huh! Thanks for your input.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 825444

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 14:57

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 14:57
Maybe he doesn't want to wrap them in canvas :-)
FollowupID: 825445

Follow Up By: Member - Sanantone - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 15:07

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 15:07
As I said, I am certainly looking at wrapping them up, but there a few issues with that as well, flapping cover etc.

Just wondering if anyone has had them on there roof for such a long period unwrapped, will they survive, that's all.
Tony

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 825446

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 14:43

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 14:43
I don't think it will do harm either way, what best works is the way to go.

But on copies, I bought a cheap set from Aldi Stores, used them a couple of times and no problem at all. I rationalised it this way, if I didn't have either the origianl, or the copies, I'd be looking around for branches, wood, anything - so I figured I save myself $300.

Enjoy your trip, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 539798

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 16:39

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 16:39
I keep mine in a canvas bag I had made to keep them out of sight from the plethora of light fingered bastards that seem to prevail these days.

Nobody seems to notice them as opposed to the bright orange standing out like dogs balls.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 539802

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 17:25

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 17:25
+1 for covering them up.

Not so much for sun protection, but like John, keeping them from light fingered Larry's view.

Maybe the Boss can stitch up a custom bag from calico or some such like material to put them in.

FollowupID: 825455

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Oct 03, 2014 at 07:35

Friday, Oct 03, 2014 at 07:35
Hey there John,

Like you I have a canvas bag to contain my Maxtrax.
Bought mine off Klaus from InFront Camping.

I usually carry mine in the space between the tailgate and Cargo Drawers, but on our Kimberley trip, I strapped them on the roof basket.
The bag is mainly for containing them after use, when they may be dirty! dirty!
Still brand new though as I have yet had the need to deploy them:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 825481

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 18:55

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 18:55
Yeah Bill I had Klaus make the first bag for mine.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825566

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 17:26

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 17:26
I have mine stacked on top of my campertrailer , and they have been there for 7 years.

While at home they are covered by a polytarp but on the road for more than say a year in total , they don't seem to have an ill effects.
I guess if they shatter when I try to use them I will know, but they are like an insurance policy, if you have them , you don't need them.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 539804

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 20:14

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 20:14
This mob have a MaxTraks bag

http://www.infrontcampinggear.com.au/font-colormauvemaxtrax-bagafont

They also have a discount special at the moment on everything across the range - send them an email or ring them

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 539814

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 22:26

Thursday, Oct 02, 2014 at 22:26
Don't think you need to cover them - for theft prevention I just use a lockable bike security strap. Have had our Maxtrax for four trips of about four months each, an wouldn't leave home without them. They've been on the canopy roof or on the camper's firewood rack for the whole time (apart from when in sand under the wheels). No cracking at all, but a few of the knobs were burnt off by a mate who didn't know when to stop revving as he sank further into the mire!!
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 539827

Reply By: Peter F9 - Friday, Oct 03, 2014 at 13:15

Friday, Oct 03, 2014 at 13:15
Mate, forget the matrax, the best piece of advice I have picked up on this forum was the guy who shared his idea of cutting up a plastic milk crate into its 5 panels (4 sides and the bottom) and loosely zip tieing them together end to end. I tried it out and they work a treat. Costs zip, weigh nothing and fold up for easy storage. As I said, best tip ever on this site.

Cheers

Pete
AnswerID: 539858

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Friday, Oct 03, 2014 at 17:29

Friday, Oct 03, 2014 at 17:29
Except for image issue's I don't understand why there would be a need to buy purpose built storage bags. My wife makes up various size bags for caravan/camping items from old rubber backed curtain materials. Better still, the ATO and Tenants get to pay for the basic materials in the first place and they mostly get recycled this way a few years later.
AnswerID: 539875

Reply By: *Rusty* - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 18:00

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 18:00
I purchased a bag from maxtrax for ours. We have 4 stored in it no worries. It was about $110 delivered. I found they were fading after 3 years on the roof rack. Whole bag is tied in with a few ockey straps to get off in a hurry. Have used ours st least 4 times in 18 months on our trip around Australia. Good luck.
AnswerID: 539926

Reply By: Member - Jason E2 - Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 23:41

Monday, Oct 27, 2014 at 23:41
I've been playing around with a few different canvas maxtrax bag designs over the past few weeks and I think I have just about got it sorted.

The bags are designed to carry 4 maxtrax with the mounting pins attached to a set of RAPTOR RACKS roof rack brackets.

They are made of heavy duty canvas with 6 pockets attached.
So that you can also carry a snatch strap, equalizer strap, 4 D Shackles, snatch block and a set of gloves.
It also has a geo textile liner in the front cover to stop the Maxtrax lugs from wearing through the canvas as well as two sewn in mesh sections at the btm to let air circulate around the maxtrax to help dry them when they are wet and also let any water drain out. The opening to both pockets has a 50mm strip of heavy Velcro to make sure they don't come open when you are driving along as well as two quick release clips and adjustable straps to pull the canvas tight.
The bag has also got 6 slots in the base where you can attach a bike lock through the maxtrax handles inside the bag and back through to the roof rack so that it can be locked up.

AnswerID: 540937

Sponsored Links