Cape Crawford area in the wet season

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 12:17
ThreadID: 109808 Views:2321 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering doing a trip up through central Qld to Lawn Hill, Cape Crawford, Borroloola , Gulf area in the wet season (January)
Appreciate it will be wet and hot but wondering how restricted we will be for access with the roads and tracks, does the area pretty much shut down or can you still get about?

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony O1 - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 12:51

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 12:51
having lived through a few wet seasons in the NT I have to be frank and please don't take offense but only a lunatic would plan any trip off road in that party of the world at that time of year. It is called the wet season for a reason. I wouldn't be too concerned about comfort I would be worried about flooding and road conditions. You will probably find most roads susceptible to damage from floods also prevent use by vehicles by closing the roads.
AnswerID: 540324

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 18:42

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 18:42
Thanks for the reply Tony I was in Borroloola at the end of the wet season last year but came in from Darwin Mataranka end and it was the tail end of the season and we stuck to the blacktop so didn't have any problems, I have been asked to go again but much earlier in the season and entering from the south so wasn't sure what the deal was

Cheers
FollowupID: 826174

Follow Up By: Tony O1 - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 22:30

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 22:30
As a former Territorian I wouldn't even consider it.
FollowupID: 826188

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:13

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:13
Hi Alby, I would suggest if you want to be in that area in January you will have to be prepared to be on the side of the road for days if not weeks.
I am the caretaker Lorella Springs in the wet season and have gone to Borroloola, normally takes 3 hours return in the dry took 10 days stuck between creeks.
The Savannah way is closed from Bauhinia Downs to Roper Bar.
After rain the road from Borroloola to Cape Crawford can be closed for a day or two.
So to answer your question, there are restriction as to where you can go and yes the area pretty much shuts down.
Unless you have a good 4wd with mud tyres, snorkel, winch and max tracks and be prepared to wait it out for up to 3weeks on the side of the road you would be best to leave it till latter in the year
Again this all depends on the wet season starting on time normally 24th December. The word is it will be a late start this year. I will be able to give you a better idea early in January.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540328

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:15

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:15
normally takes 3 hours return Should read takes 3 hours each way

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826150

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 18:59

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 18:59
Thanks for the informative reply Andy, I have all of the vehicle requirements you described but not looking to do anything foolhardy just the same

If the season is late I might be lucky and be able to slip into the area and stick to the blacktop Probably better to assess the situation closer to the date and see how it pans out

I might chase you up closer to the time and see what is doing

Cheers
FollowupID: 826176

Reply By: Slow one - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:32

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:32
Alby,
The Gregory downs pub used to get flood in for up to 3 months. The road out to Lawn Hill could also be a big problem. Although the roads are far better you could still get stuck for a fair amount of time. This includes the Barkly highway and out to Cape Crawford and Borroloola. I know flooding can occur anywhere, but historically it is a bad time to holiday travel in north western Qld.

You may well jag it but it is a punt. I just think you are shortening your odds a fair bit by nominating January. If you watch the weather reports for lows and monsoon troughs you maybe able to manage your progress with success.

If you do decide to go I hope the weather is good for you.

AnswerID: 540329

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 15:47

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 15:47
No one has mentioned cyclones that time of the year.
FollowupID: 826162

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 22:01

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 22:01
Ally,

What Slow said about checking weather conditions will be critical once you are closer to departure. There's talk that the wet will be late this year, so in January might still be in "build-up". Who knows???

And it's not just the NT roads that may hold you up. The Landsborough & Flinders Highways can often, even after only one storm, get cut at McKinlay River and other creeks towards Cloncurry. Have spent a few nights at McKinlay over the years. :-). Authorities are more strict on road closures these days too.......think the score for going round a road closed sign is about 2,000 penalty points!

Seems like a long way to go to fit a roller door, Alby. Good luck,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 826186

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 07:26

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 07:26
Hahaha if they didn't lose their keys I wouldn't have to
We had a bit of a cyclone and wet season last night in Sydney so I might be able to just stay home and enjoy the experience LOL
FollowupID: 826203

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:42

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:42
For $52 & postage you could send a whole lock and stay home LOL
FollowupID: 826216

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 14:58

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 14:58
Alby,

I wouldn't say you can't do it, but you'd need to know more about the weather than BOM.

Would give Lawn Hill a miss, as there's too much dirt road between there and the Gregory.

Here's a pic that I put up in Jan, 2009, of Creswell Ck, on the Tableland Highway, probably about Dec 2008. Checked the archives, but all photos are gone, probably due to site upgrades.

And if you do go, make sure tyres are new and cooling system is 100%. It's going to be hot. The Carpentaria Highway from Cape Crawford, to Daly Waters, may be a better escape route than the Tablelands H'way.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540337

Follow Up By: Slow one - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 16:44

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 16:44
Alby,
just to add a few photos to the one Bob posted.

Have a look HERE and scroll down.
FollowupID: 826167

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 19:10

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 19:10
Thanks for your replies and not too surprised by your comments. I have been asked to do a run up through there so wanted some feedback from others who know the area well. Will give it some more thought me thinks.

Cheers
FollowupID: 826178

Sponsored Links