Planning first leg of journey-Hervey Bay to Emerald to Charters Towers

Submitted: Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 22:56
ThreadID: 110072 Views:1857 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

From Christmas we want to head out from Hervey Bay to approx Emerald. Want to stay one or two nights somewhere in or before Emerald. Then from there on to stay one or two nights in or around Charters Towers.

Looking for suggestions on places to go and see, eg, national parks, relics, historical places, and places to stay around Emerald and Charters Towers. Travelling in two 100 series land cruisers with grandma/grandpa, wife, two kids (3 & 5) and empty trailers to be loaded later with belongings. As we are taking the trailers, no camper and caravan, so we will have to do hotels/motels for accommodation.

We don't need 5 star places to stay but looking for suggestions of nice places to stay and go that will be great for exploring, entertaining the kids and relaxing with a beer.

All suggestions welcome!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snow - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 00:37

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 00:37
Heck, not a large spread but dependant upon route, HBay to maybe Blackdown tablelands then onto Emerald & perhaps extend out to sapphire / ruby vale (?) before heading into Charlie's Trousers. Alternatively, perhaps head to Carnarvon Gorge near Rolleston / Springsure. Then onto Charlie's.
AnswerID: 541412

Reply By: Mikee5 - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 08:00

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 08:00
Please keep in mind that Emerald mean maximum for December and January is over 34 degrees and Charter Towers similar. Look after yourselves, your kiddies and the oldies (I am in that category haha). You may end up jumping from Aircond car to aircond motel without seeing much. I was in Emerald last Saturday and it was 38 then, same yesterday in Clermont.
AnswerID: 541416

Reply By: Mikee5 - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 08:04

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 08:04
Forgot to add - parts of Carnarvon Gorge are closed that time of year - worth checking any planned destination to avoid disappointment
AnswerID: 541417

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 10:24

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 10:24
Paul,

Be aware that Emerald often has, like all the time, a shortage of motel accomodation. If you wanted to stay there it might be better to check out the 'van parks and book a couple of cabins.Springsure seems a bit short on beds too......all to do with the mining in the area. Blackdown Tableland looks good, might even be a bit cooler up there too. If you wanted to drive a bit while at Emerald, you could travel west to Sapphire, Rubyvale or even out to Bogantungan, where they have, I think, a small museum.

A pleasant drive is up through Gayndah, Monto and Biloela, then across to Rolleston, Springsure then North to Emerald. Much better scenery than up the Bruce and west of Rocky. Quieter road as well! We travelled Biggenden - H'Bay last year to get from Burnett H'way to Hervey Bay.

Last time we were along the Emerald - C'Towers road, much of it was single lane bitumen, so would advise you to get right off the black stuff and stop, if you meet any road trains.

Plenty of places to stay in the 'Towers, and think there'd be plenty to see, with all the mining history in the town. Lot of old buildings in the CBD that are worth a look.

With only 6 of you, I'd question why you need the trailers? These "belongings" you are loading into the trailers must later in the trip? None of my business I know. :-)

Enjoy you trip,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541422

Follow Up By: Paul F2 - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 11:23

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 11:23
Thanks guys - already some great suggestions and things to think about.

Hehe yes "belongings" sounds dodgy doesn't it. Actually this is the first leg of the journey - my parents have moved house from Mission Beach to Hervey Bay area and need to do one last load of stuff so the empty trailers will be loaded up near Mission Beach and brought back to Hervey Bay area. The plan is to make a holiday out of it and take an inland route on the way North and then to stick fairly close to the Bruce highway with the loaded trailers on the way back.

As for doing it this time of year, yes not a great time for the trip as it will be hot out west and hot and muggy up North but it coincides with my forced leave for Christmas shutdown.
FollowupID: 827523

Follow Up By: Outnabout.. - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 12:59

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 12:59
No problems at all getting motel accomodation at Emerald. Been a huge downturn in mining over the last twelve months with all motels with vacancies from $79 per night . Same hotel 3 years ago had no vacancy for months and was over $200 per night. Explorers inn is currently $99 per night quite nice and good restaurant.
FollowupID: 827528

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 14:38

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 14:38
Thanks for the update, Outnabout. Been a drama getting a room for years,,,,,played "musical rooms" for a few days once, to fit in with bookings at one of the motels.

Paul,

Can recommend the Meteor Motel, as well as Route 66, both on Opal St, though on either side of railway line. Sure there's cheaper abodes too, as suggested by Outnabout.

Funny your parents moving to the Bay. We went down to Brisbane in Aug to help daughter and her family shift up to the Bay. Her hubby comes from Maryborough originally. We needed more than a trailer or two, see below

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 827534

Sponsored Links