Wa in summertime

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 08:41
ThreadID: 110152 Views:2772 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Quick bit of back ground, my youngest had a place at Hopetoun, I booked flights for myself n eldest over Xmas/new year. Thing is now it looks like I'm going on my own, and youngest is back in Perth, and due to work commitments, may not be around at Xmas.
I have been around the sw twice, and I know the crowds around that time of year. I have the use of his place in Perth, and of his decked out 4x4, but , I'm thinking to go somewhere different, ie, head north of Perth... I know it's the wrong time of year, but want to escape the crowds. I will be there for 3 weeks. Any ideas/suggestions would be a big help. Thanks Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 09:43

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 09:43
Jurien Bay (Sandy Cape), Kalbarri rent a holiday home for the benefit of air con, Shark Bay cabin at caravan park or resort at Monkey Mia same idea use it for the air con and explore the rest of the place in air con vehicle.
AnswerID: 541715

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 09:50

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 09:50
The air con factor is massive, I know it will be hot, have been looking at karinjin? Nat park.. Any idea on what it would be like at that time of year, besides hot! Thanks
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 827901

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 09:58

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 09:58
Errr... very hot. We were there in August a few years ago. Temps then in the mid 30's day after day. In Dec-Jan you'll cook.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 827903

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 09:59

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 09:59
Hot possibly wet starting to get into the wet season then, possible park closure depends on whether the wet is early or late. Keep an eye out for cyclones as well. Exmouth would be a possibility the fishing would be good if you can book a charter.
AnswerID: 541716

Reply By: MARIC - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 10:54

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 10:54
Broome won't be as hot as Karajini but humid high 30's compared to 40's. Accomadation easier, and if u want to 4x4 still lots to do Cape Levique Quondom Point Willie Creek pearlfarms.
Re cyclones maybe one or two per season
All the areas up to Kalbarri would probably be booked out, or 4x4 and camp south coast as far as Esperance heaps of areas.
I suggest you check weekly forecasts before you make up your mind
Good luck in your quest.
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541720

Reply By: 322 - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:37

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:37
Everyone knows it will be hot and humid, wherever you go up north. There are places further south that you could try if you have not been there already. Albany, Cheynes Beach, Bremer Bay or Esperence are all worth a serious look. Getting a spot will be another issue.
AnswerID: 541730

Reply By: Member - Pilbara Cruiser - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:56

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:56
Yeah mate Karijini will be a bit hot were having high 30's at the moment and by Xmas time will be into the mid 40's and 30's at night so air con would be needed have ya had a look at coral bay in summer accommodation would be cheaper as old mate said too Broome but the humidity will be up there if ya not used to it....
Lost -- another way of finding secluded camping spots___

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 541733

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 12:06

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 12:06
Hi Odog,

If you are able to travel and keep away from the crowds, try the Wheat belt and/or Goldfields. We stayed at Beacon during the Christmas - New Year break. Very few people in the area and we had the caravan park to ourselves, $20 for a powered sheltered site and at that time, a $10 voucher to spend in town. Lots to see and explore during the day in air conditioned vehicle and at night, cool enough to sleep. Lots to see in the Goldfields too, again it is hot during the day and night time temps in low numbers or even below zero like it was when we have been there previously.
We are a little selfish when we go away and like our space, peace and quiet.
If we want to be a metre away from drunk noisy people......we stay home with our children LOL

We hope you have a great trip and it would be interesting to hear what you DID do.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 541735

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 14:55

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 14:55
Thanks Wayne & Sally
Was over wa a couple of years ago, pulled up at wave rock, 46C ... Same time of year.. If you put your hand on the glass, you could feel the heat.
Sue, my wife, an I did 8 weeks over there earlier this year, with the camp trailer, followed the coast around to cape le grand from Perth. It's so different out of school/Xmas holidays.. Like you, I prefer quite times.
Can't really book anything at this stage, due to where and what others are doing, or may be on my own.. Play it by ear, as they say.. Just trying to get some ideas happening. Thanks again for suggestions. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 827918

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 16:38

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 16:38
You could stay at your young bloke's place and do a few day trips around the Perth area.
Shouldn't be too crowded, most of the population will have gone away for the holidays. Not all of them go south. Quite a mob go north, you know, to get away from the crowd...lol.
When we were working some mornings it could be a little trying getting out of our street onto the highway during non holiday times.
Xmas holidays I could drive out onto the highway, stop, get out and fire a shotgun up and down the highway and not hit anyone...figuratively speaking of course. (;=))

Just a thought

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 827928

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:08

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:08
Hi again,

It does get hot in WA and all the way through until April.
Maybe the best plan is to "wing it"
At least there is a flexibility that you don't have when all is "planned"

Enjoy your trip and we may see you out and about :-)

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 827972

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 14:38

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 14:38
I agree with Pop - stay in Perth for Xmas. It is actually often fairly quiet if you stay away from the shops and mainstream locations and use the early mornings when most are still in bed. The trick to summer in Perth is to get up when the sun does - ie. 4.30-5am and go out for a walk in a park, go down to a beach, watch the action at a boat ramp, or take a drive through Kalamunda, Piesse Brook etc. All the other drunks and city folk are still in bed and you'll get 4 hours to yourself to enjoy nature at its best.

Here's some suggestions but do them all very early: The Lagoon at Yanchep, Kings Park at sunrise, Matilda Bay waterfront grass - walk along river on path/fish off bank, Pinnaroo Memorial Park (yes its a cemetery) early morning or evening to see hundreds of grazing wallabies and roos, walk around Lake Gooleal Kingsley, visit Perry's Paddock and ruins off Ocean Reef Road, fish (or watch fisherpeople) off jetty at Woodman Point, visit Deepwater Point cafe and walk or ride a bike around the river bike path, stroll around the marina boardwalks, watch the action at the boat ramp, and drool over massive boats for sale at Hillarys (Sorrento Quay), sunrise at Cottesloe Beach (marvel at the early morning "freaks"/oops swimmers braving the ocean). You get the idea.

Did you know there is a drive-in outdoor movie theatre in Kingsley see Galaxy Drive In - you can BYO everything and pull out your camp chair and table, or even sit on your roof - it's good but go when gates open and kill time by reading a book, or eating etc.

Browse the thrift shops on the main street in Guildford, especially the museum of natural history (lots of taxidermy) opens at 10am, cost $5.

Fish & Chips at Chippies - at one of the new suburbs north of Perth called Jindalee. Could get busy at lunch or weekends but check it out during a quiet time of day and you'll be surprised.

Many other outdoor theatres around but ones that are less crowded are further away from city, eg. ECU in Joondalup. For details look up Summer of Perth festival. Just stay away from City, Northbridge, Subiaco, Kings Park etc during main events, and main times of day.

The Perth zoo is actually very good if you go super early or super late - in fact they do twilight theatre and even a NYE family event on the lawns. Very low key etc.

Also, don't underestimate visiting AQWA, the Art Gallery, the Muesum etc too.

Even in summer you might enjoy a day's drive up via Chittering Valley through Bindoon and onto New Norcia. Or what about a drive up to York - its fantastic with beautiful old buildings and a great pub to stop for lunch. Just worth it for the drive! The Swan Valley is also a great place for a drive if you go early morning. Avoid the crowds for lunch on weekends at the brewery etc but still worth a peek.

Nothing wrong with a drive to Rockingham foreshore and a coffee very early morning on the waterfront! Then go onto Bunbury - its a magnificent bay of water!

Araluen is fabulous in spring but we've been there in summer too. If you can get there very early in the cooler part of the day it is still worth going.

Hope this helps you and anyone else looking for things to do in Perth's summer without crowds that are free/low cost. Enjoy!
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 827985

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 14:49

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 14:49
one more place I forgot to mention is the Heritage Trail.
Maps & Brochure

I particularly like the section from Swan View - you can park here and walk to the Tunnel (take a head light) along the ridge formerly used by the railway - its a magnificent place and the falls are just nearby in the John Forrest National Park. The views in this section are excellent.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 827986

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:15

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:15
Steep point? Ningaloo Station has some shady campsites just back off the beach? Take shade fishing gear and book ahead...
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 541774

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 16:09

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 16:09
South coast south coast south coast unless you want to be hot hot hot!
We were pleasantly surprised at how few people were at Pemberton between Christmas and New Year in 2011. Great jumping off spot for Warren R etc.
Busselton, Dunsborough, Margs, Yallingup, Albany, Esperance all really busy but lots of other little spots with plenty of room and small crowds. Eg Augusta, Bremer Bay, Walpole, Cosy Corner, Windy Harbour, Sues Bridge, Manjimup, Bridgetown, Peppermint Beach
West coast north of Perth really windy we always find.
Most national parks don't take bookings so need to be there before lunch to get a spot.
AnswerID: 542096

Sponsored Links