Queensland National Parks

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 15:11
ThreadID: 110232 Views:2160 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are considering doing a trip to far north Queensland next year, and on the way we would like to camp in some Queensland national parks. could someone recommend some must see parks. We are taking an off road 18ft caravan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OBJ - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 16:17

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 16:17
Can you advise roughly where in FNQ you will be? There are parks everywhere:
Around Townsville (34), Cape York Peninsula (27), Central Coast (24), Central Highlands (11), Mackay/Proserpine (26), North Queensland (71), Outback Queensland (24).

This link should help.

The thing to remember when going to Qld National Parks is this archaic rule requiring you to book ahead for your camp spot. It doesn't guarantee you a spot, or anything else. You probably won't see a ranger, and there's no guarantee that when you get there there will be a spot even if you have booked one, but it makes some Queensland public servant happy that he dreamed up the idea.

Here is the link to allow you to book ahead.

You may like to look around this site for some good camp spots, or Google the areas you are heading to. Camps Australia Wide is a useful investment if you are going to be doing a fair bit of camping.

Enjoy your trip. Sad about the red tape.

OBJ
AnswerID: 542098

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 20:34

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 20:34
For someone from Victoria presumably coming up the inland; Carnarvon Gorge NP is the most visited NP away from the coast, Lawn Hill I think is special, a real Oasis. Diamantina Lakes will give you a real taste of the channel country and you can roll onto the Dinosaur belt around Winton.
You need to specify better what your interests are (beaches, the outback, fossicking, bushwalking, bird watching, seeing the reef and or rainforests. Qld is quite diverese
FollowupID: 828345

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 23:11

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 23:11
Here are some thaughts.
a there are un powered sites that I recon you would get an 18 fotter into in the national park camping area in Lamington natianal park....just down the road from O'Reilly's guest house.
Rainforest, walks long and short, treetop walkway...and a pretty decent meal up at the guest house if it takes ya fancy.

a stiff days drive and you can be in the Cooloola national park with a choice of places to camp...as long as you can negociate the sand.....camp beach side with no facilities or up a freshwater with civilised toilest and hot showers.

Havn't been into national parks in the next area, but there is paradise and good night scrub...if you don't wish to chase barra at Lenthels or awonga......plenty of caravan sites and sealed roads in there.

Another good days drive and you can blow thru Mackay and make a left turn and be at Kenchant dam caravan park.
sites so close to the water you will want to check ya handbrake a second time
Barra fishing, licenced bar.....good day drives out to broken river, Eungala and such...fishing, walking wildlife.

get out there realy and you can be in townsville by afternoon smoko.

south of townsville there is aligator creek camp ground......crystal clear fresh water creek, swimming, walking.

North of townsville there is crystal creek large and small...camping at large.creek swimming.

If you want to head up the hill to Paloma...it will be hard work with a van..realy twisty and steep.....2nd and 3rd gear in the wifes RAV traveling light and 2 up.......but there is ome stunning stiff up there.

cant help you north of there.

cheers

FollowupID: 828354

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 06:37

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 06:37
Might want to check the O'Reilly's option with a caravan, we were there 2 weeks ago and had a drive around the camp ground checking out potential Camper trailer sites, all I could see were campervan (not motor home) sites, Kombi stize
But Lamington NP is certainly fantastic.
FollowupID: 828357

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:10

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:10
yeh its mostly small tent and campr trailer sites, but there are one or two I have seen bigger things in.

You would want the pick of the one or two viable sites, so I'd not just try rolling up in peak times

There is a site you will definitely get an 18 fotter into on the border track but it is actually in NSW....name escapes me at the moment

cheers
FollowupID: 828365

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:49

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:49
"The thing to remember when going to Qld National Parks is this archaic rule requiring you to book ahead for your camp spot. It doesn't guarantee you a spot, or anything else. You probably won't see a ranger, and there's no guarantee that when you get there there will be a spot even if you have booked one, but it makes some Queensland public servant happy that he dreamed up the idea."

The trouble is OBJ, they're quite happy to take your money in advance .... just not provide the service. Lawn Hill springs to mind.....
FollowupID: 828370

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:10

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:10
Well I recommend Cape hillsborough NP just north of Mackay. Byfield north of Rockhampton .
Both have caravan sites.
And the one just north of 1770, but it is dirt in with a short water crossing.
I think the booking system is good as long as others abide by it. I was stuck at midge point once when there was a 5 fatal just north of the hillsborough turnoff and Qld np refunded . In any case it was only $10 per night.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 542131

Reply By: swampfox - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 18:13

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 18:13
HI
Try Lake Tinaroo in the Nth Qld Table lands . Danbulla state forest .Book prior to going .Downfall creek and Fong on bay camp spots are a good size for vans .
Google the camp spot acces roads

swamp fox
AnswerID: 542186

Sponsored Links