Broken Hill to Birdsville

Submitted: Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 19:35
ThreadID: 11041 Views:5374 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all
Mootwingee, White Cliffs, Cameron Corner, Haddon Corner > Birdsville
It's been a few years since I have done this trip.
Can any of you give me some up to date info, like track conditions, good camping spots, special things to look out for etc.
We'll be in a 100 series Cruiser (no trailer) and planning for July.
What are reaslistic driving times between those places?
Thanks for your feedback,
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 06:46

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 06:46
Red we did a similar trip last september mootwingee white cliffs cameron crn.

At mootwingee we did the tour with the aboriginal guide to the historic area and it was very interesting and the gorge walk was good. The camping area is fine.

The dirt to white clifs was good when we did it and from memory took us about 3 to 4hrs. At white cliffs we stayed in the under ground motel it was expensive but it was fun and a good experiance. A must is to visit jocks place and have a good look aroud white cliffs its very interesting. at least a day is needed or more if possible.

Then from white cliffs to tibboburra that took about 5 hrs from memory again.
Stayed the night at the van park then next day went to the crn via olive downs and the jump up loop tracks in sturt nat park that was a grat trip very different scenery.

From the crn we headed back south east towards fort grey and camped in the scrub just out of the nat park.

All the best
Eric

www.capeyorkconnections.com.au

AnswerID: 49351

Reply By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:53

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:53
G'day redcentre,

Did a similar thing Oct last year (missed out on Haddon Corner due to wet roads).

Approximate travel times:

Broken Hill to Mutawintji - 90 minutes
Broken Hill to Cameron Corner - Half a day
Cameron Corner to Innamincka - Half a day
Innamincka to Birdsville via Walker's Crossing track - 1 day.

We did drive from Innamincka to Broken Hill in 1 big day (including a bit of a side trip to visit the 142E/30S confluence).

Tracks were pretty good all the way (the roughest being the 2WD road from Tibbooburra to Cameron Corner). The Bore Track through Bollard's Lagoon Station ($10/vehicle payable at the homestead) was good. The SANTOS roads around Moomba/Innamincka were marvellous. Walker's Crossing Track is quite easy except for the top 70km where we had to divert away from the track numerous times to stay out of the water on the track. Things improve out of the world when you hit the Birdsville Superhighway (I mean Birdsville Track - although I managed to do a wheel stud on this stretch of road - and it was the best piece of road I'd seen in a fortnight - go figure).

Fort Grey just short (30ish km) of Cameron Corner is a nice place to stop. The camp ground 1km out of Tibbooburra is delightful at dawn and dusk. You could spend days and days at Innamincka just taking in the surroundings and the history of the area. The Birdsville C'van Park is a lovely establisment - Ruth (another EO forumite) will look after you while your'e there.

Hope this has been of some help.

Cheers
Stephen J.
VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 49478

Reply By: Arkay - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 18:26

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 18:26
Last year loved Mootoowinje (ma ta whin ge) as per the local guides. Great tours.
Camping ground has a water tap in the middle, and near the entrance SOLAR HEATED SHOWERS , get to them about 4pm, nice & hot before the other non Exploroz campers.
AnswerID: 49564

Sponsored Links