Uluru + Mereenie Loop Road

I would love some advice from anyone who has done a trip that includes Uluru, Kings Canyon and West MacDonnell National Park. I will be heading up from down south after a visit to Coober Pedy. I will stop at Alice Springs before heading back south.

I'm planning a trip for around April. Will be driving a 4WD and towing an off-road camper (self sufficient for power, water, showering etc). I want to take in all the sights, with time to do some walks and photography. How much time should I allow for a very relaxed trip? Any hints? Tips on great places to camp or visit?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 18:10

Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 18:10
I don't really know long you will , I have been there a few time , if you want to take really good photos you will never have enough time ,

What really just wanted to say , I was talked into going there late April a few years ago
I tried to convince the others it would be too bloody hot . I was right , too hot to walk anywhere
Jacko
AnswerID: 543029

Follow Up By: Jos - Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 18:46

Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 18:46
Thanks Jackolux.

I know it will still be hot in late April when I plan on going, but hopefully the nights will be cooler. I can handle the warm days as long as it's not too hot to sleep.
FollowupID: 829844

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 18:58

Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 18:58
You need to add the east Macs too :)
Couple of weeks to get a taste. More if you want to be in the right place at the right time to take photos.

Add another couple of weeks and wander west from Uluru to Giles then north on the Sandy Blight Junction Road.

How many weeks did you say you had? :)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 543031

Follow Up By: Jos - Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 19:20

Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 19:20
Thanks Peter. I'm thinking of taking a couple of weeks holiday leave. So I'm gathering from what you say, I'll probably only have enough time to do Uluru and up to the West MacDonnell NP. I may have to leave the rest for another trip.
FollowupID: 829846

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 21:31

Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 21:31
I've been back to the West Macs four times in the past decade and walked the Larapinta Trail 1 1/2 times, so I'm probably addicted. Probably 2 weeks from the time you hit Uluru?
That's allowing you to be slower than most of you are interested in taking photographs early morning/ late afternoon.

Uluru 3 days is adequate including the Olags, Kings Canyon at least one full day, so that's 2 nights.
Camping at Redbank Gorge allows you to do Mt Sonder (3rd highest peak in NT) an easy return day walk, that's another day. Up to you if you want to walk Mt Sonder pre dawn such that you see the sun rise over the West Macs
Ormiston Gorge probably at least one full day (night either side) of doing the half day Pound walk. If you do nothing else in the west Macs, do that walk, and I suggest you walk it anti clockwise.
The most photographed view (used on travel brochures ) is from Counts Lookout between Serpentine Gully and Chalet.
The long day walk up to Brinkley's Bluff from Standley Chasm isn't bad either.

Google Larapinta Trail, which criss crosses the West Macs and have a look at this photographer's blog for some ideas

http://davidhoulder.com/walks+1/larapinta/larapinta-trail-eastern-half

I haven't been there in April, but I have done walked a week's worth in early May.

There are plenty of facilities (a good IGA) at both Uluru and Kings Canyon ( or at least there was several years ago).

AnswerID: 543034

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 21:48

Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 21:48
Dont forget Finke Gorge, Palm Valley and Gosse Bluff. And yes the east Macs are beautiful and subtly different from the West Macs. 2 weeks will just allow time to get a taste.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 829860

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 21:49

Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 21:49
A few blogs of our trip there with the boys;

Uluru and Kata Juta

Mereenie Loop

The western Mac's

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 543036

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 22:03

Monday, Dec 15, 2014 at 22:03
Hi Jos

You are welcome to read my blogs from 2008 tour when we spent five weeks in the area in and around Alice Springs.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 543037

Sponsored Links