Warning 2003 jayco eagle outback camper South tamworth.

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 09:47
ThreadID: 110564 Views:5492 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Just giving potential buyers a heads up re a 2003 jayco eagle outback camper for sale in tamworth.

In a nutshell, I had exchanged numerous emails and texts with the seller, then had a conversation by phone all regarding the condition of the unit. Once satisfied, I paid 1000.00 deposit then set off on the weekend to pick it up.

The guy said it needs a clean as he's a Batchelor but OMG. Here is the true condition -
Caked on red dust on the exterior - hasn't seen a bath for a very very long time.
Dents and loose vents on drivers side
All bagged awnings and annexes covered in red dust and the pvc is has stuck to itself (maybe packed up wet?)
All bed end screens both ends have holes and tears greater than 50mm that can't be patched (rodents and deterioration)
Hole in the ceiling panel - camper was put down with a broom leaning against the cooker
Wiring for batteries back yard job
Inside cupboards caked in red dust
Almost ever wood panel inside has significant wear marks from rubbing
Front boot has copped a hammering with no hookes left
Missing awning poles

Probably missed a few things but don't believe a word the guy says. He knew where I lived (Gold Coast) and that I was traveling with a 3 year old little girl yet he seemed to think Iit was ok to omit these details.

All up it took 15 hours and 45 minutes round trip. Not to mention the financial costs.

Keep well clear campers!

Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 11:30

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 11:30
I hope that you made it clear that your purchase was subject to an inspection by yourself prior to concluding the deal. Otherwise you can't blame anyone but yourself.

Buying camping gear, especially older stuff, sight unseen is often a recipe for disaster, as you have just found out. Taking someone's description at face value particularly when they are so far away from your base is not a smart thing to do, but we all tend to think that every body is as honest and truthful as we are.
Sometimes we just get burned.

Better luck next time.

Disco.
AnswerID: 543515

Follow Up By: Jim2444 - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 12:19

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 12:19
Yup, it was conditional and I now have my deposit back - I think the axe wielding expression on my face on the day may have assisted in that matter. A dint here or there may be an honest over site but to tell me there were only two (2) 20cent coin holes in the screens and forgetting to mention the bloody giant hole in the ceiling... I was left speechless. (It was above the fridge sorry... Not the cooker). As for the dust... You would never get it out... Hate to think how much must be in the cushions and mattress. You are right though... Always be cautious. I thought the old saying was " a picture tells a thousand words" not "a well positioned picture can hide a million faults". On an up note.... My new camper chocks just arrived, just need to find something to use them for!!!

The search continues....
FollowupID: 830465

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 12:44

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 12:44
I would never give anyone $1000 deposit on anything.
$50 or $100 is enough for anyone to hold an item until the buyer gets to inspect it.
If I sell something, I ask for $50 or $100 (depending on sale value) non-refundable deposit, to hold the item for a buyer, for a set period (not more than week, usually).
The non-refundable deposit helps covers me for any potential lost sales during the holding period, if the buyer chooses not to proceed with the sale.

It's annoying when an item offered for sale doesn't meet your expectations and is in a lot poorer condition than expected.
However, it's pretty common to have poor-condition used items described in glowing terms.
I always try to find the reason behind the sale. In many cases, reading between the story line given, it's usually because the seller has worn it out, or it needs substantial repair, and he/she thinks its still worth big dollars.

Buying items that are a long way away is fraught with danger. It's a big help if you can get a local friend to do an initial inspection for you.
I have bought numerous items from several states away, and I was satisfied in every case, but I also did extensive questioning, asked for lots of close-up (current) photos of specific areas, and always put down a small deposit before inspecting the item personally.
Photos of the item that were taken 2 or 3 years ago is one of the biggest seller traps.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 543517

Follow Up By: Jim2444 - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 13:35

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 13:35
Hey Ron,

The whole size of deposit thing and more so me getting it back was never an issue. It really does just come down to peoples conscious or there lack of. Sure If I was trucking it site unseen then more fool me but knowing I was obviously going to see the shape it was really in - Go Figure! The pics provided are date stamped from the middle of this this month... (may have been altered - who knows) yet taken in a way that doesn't show the stained panel work. I may be wrong here but you would have a bugger of a job getting rid of the red dirt stains on the external panels after being left on for so long... A whole lot of elbow grease to cut it out of the paint work that's for sure and I doubt Jayco put too many layers on them.

Like you, I have purchased several things from interstate without issue including 2 4wd's and my previous camper trailer... maybe that's where my false sense has come from. The excuse for the sale was to upgrade to a pop top due to his age. Seemed reasonable... happy with the quick purchased so he could make a deposit on a new one in Sydney over the new year... seemed reasonable.

In the future, I'll revert to being highly suspicious and be asking for very close up pics inside and out.

On reflection, (and me being honest here) maybe the fact that he banked with a particular, well recognised and very old church financial institution in Armidale had me really sucked in. I mean if you cant trust a god botherer who can you trust :-(

Jim
FollowupID: 830467

Reply By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 17:03

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 17:03
Normally accepted deposit is 5 or 10%. If I was selling a $5000 car and you wanted to give me a deposit of $100...take a hike. You are stuffing me around for a week and possibly the next bloke who was to visit could have purchased. 5 or 10% shows your keen and fair dinkum..not just another punter covering himself.
AnswerID: 543522

Follow Up By: Jim2444 - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 18:44

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 18:44
Agree bigfish... I aim for 10% and for just that reason, to show that I'm not a tyre kicker. There was no way in hell he was going to keep my deposit after having a look at it. I think even he knew the game was up.
FollowupID: 830486

Reply By: Member - johnat - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 21:41

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 21:41
Hey, Jim!

Hope you took the opportunity to look in at Capital Caravans in Moonbi, on your way back home. Clint there has a few decent vans for sale, does them up (as far as I know) or some on consignment. His work is excellent, and on top of that, he's a nice bloke!

usual caveat - no relationship other than as a very satisfied customer.

Tamworth people aren't ALL bad! ;)
AnswerID: 543529

Follow Up By: Jim2444 - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:16

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:16
Sure did, I stopped there on the way back and have to say that the ones I could see from the front of the yard (yard was closed) were all over priced. Noticed a Jayco pop top there that had the lid closed down except one corner with canvas still sticking out in the rain. Be a nice mess/smell inside when it gets opened.
FollowupID: 830520

Follow Up By: Jim2444 - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:18

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:18
PS - Love Tamworth People, just not this clown...
FollowupID: 830521

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 14:28

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 14:28
Overpriced? Maybe you just have to pay more for good clean well looked after ones!
FollowupID: 830527

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 08:42

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 08:42
Filthy Outback Jayco's when for sale seems to be the norm. Every Jayco Outback we encountered for sale in SA was filthy, with the exception of dealers.
AnswerID: 543538

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 09:16

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 09:16
Cruiser,
We went on the hunt in SA for a Jayco Swift Outback version. Went to all the major sellers and did the whole caravan sales dot com and gumtree thing. There was mountains of overpriced poo.

We extended our search to cover Victoria (where Jayco are made) and bought a 2 year old, used once Outback Swift with a fair bit of extras for $4500 less than a well worn one from a prominent yard on Port Wakefield Road at Burton.

The one we bought came from the Jayco dealer at Geelong (Prestige Jayco - just happy customers). It was sold by them new, used on a bitumen road trip to Sydney, then traded in for a proper van because the Mrs wanted an ensuite.

The $400 for fuel and an overnight stay was well worth the drive. Give SA vans a miss mate...they are beat up and over priced...unless you want to buy mine? LOL.

Fab.
FollowupID: 830508

Follow Up By: Jim2444 - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:10

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:10
Funny you should say that... Victoria seems to be so much cheaper for both caravans and 4wd's. Might have to look into a few yards down there and get some prices for transportation to the Gold Coast... pretty hard getting time off to pick the thing up now.
FollowupID: 830519

Sponsored Links