Cameron Corner New Years

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 22:42
ThreadID: 110638 Views:2166 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

we spent the last week and a bit travelling around the top half of NSW with the goal of celebrating three New Years Eves at Cameron Corner.

Firstly, I got to say that NSW is a big State. If you hurry you'll take the best part of two days getting from near Sydney to Cameron Corner. There were times between Louth and White Cliffs my brain was thinking I was somewhere in the NT, due to the huge views and remoteness we felt.

Secondly, NSW has some spectacular scenery. Up through the Upper Hunter, out through Gilgandra and Warren then down the Darling, we saw plenty of fat sheep and cattle and classic old wheatbelt properties.
West of the Darling River and it's a different World. Huge horizons, dry dusty lake beds. Then we started to get wrapped in the history of the explorers. We travelled in the footsteps of Sturt for a while and you can still feel the frustration and sadness of his team being stuck at Depot Glen then losing his second in command to scurvy just as they could get going again.

Visiting White Cliffs and Milparinka shows that the spirit of adventure is alive and well in this land and then we arrive at Cameron Corner. There were about 70 people there to celebrate three new years eves in one night by moving around the corner post of NSW, SA and Qld. It was a real buzz and well worth the effort.
Some chose to party all night but we had an appointment with the golf course on the morning of January 1, 2015. Three holes in three States to complete the nine hole course. Sump oil "greens" with bones of dead animals, various animal droppings on the greens and the heat of the Strezlecki Desert to contend with, it really is a challenge.

Driving home we visited Tibooburra to watch the town celebrate at the two pubs in true country style - home made pool and a bucking bull with country music blasting for two directions, the party was on. We camped between Tib and Wanaaring, then headed east, picking up some massive storms at Bourke before escaping east to Walgett.
On to Pilliga Bore Baths to recover before we discovered the Cuttabri Wine Shanty has been closed for a while. We finished our quick holiday at the Coolah Tops National Park. This is one of my favourite National Parks. It has a great climate in Summer, heaps of wildlife and history but no crowds. The views are spectacular. Looking to the north west and north east the Pinnacles and Breeza lookouts give you views that equal to many other places around Australia.

We love travelling through Australia but Western NSW has so much to offer and I really enjoy getting out there when I can.

Hoo roo,
Steve

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 23:31

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 23:31
Well done Steve, sounds like you had a great time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 543837

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 23:40

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 23:40
Absolutely Stephen.

It's a great part of the World we live in.
Every time we go away we come back wanting to head off again.....and we do.

Steve.
FollowupID: 830927

Reply By: muzbry - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 07:27

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 07:27
Gday Eighty
I had the same feelings about the area when i was there in September .
AnswerID: 543842

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 08:35

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 08:35
Great account Steve.
Roz loves the idea of three NYE events.
This is worthy of recording in Blogs.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 543846

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 11:51

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 11:51
I want to write a full report and put it in the blogs but I thought I'd throw a quick blurt out there to share our story.

Steve
FollowupID: 830946

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 09:15

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 09:15
Hi Steve, Sadly NSW seems to be the forgotten state which seems a shame considering the beauty it has. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 543847

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 12:01

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 12:01
G'day Michael,

NSW certainly doesn't have the status of a remote touring destination. At least it seems that way because many magazines and TV shows constantly push Vic High Country, Simpson Desert, The Kimberley, Fraser Island and The Cape.

Travelling from the East Coast to the far west you will get more variety in NSW than any other destination in Australia. Add to this the fact many people don't have to drive for a week to and from the ultimate destination and it's surprising more people don't even know where Cameron Corner is.

We've already got our next trip planned out and costed so I better get to work and save up for the diesel.

Hoo roo,
Steve.
FollowupID: 830949

Reply By: wombat100 - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 12:13

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 12:13
Good to see you called in to Milparinka & Pooles Grave. Did you get up to Sturts Cairn?? And was Trevor still at Milparinka Pub??
Also, near Peery Lakes there's a great 'farmstay' at Goodwood Station- a 90 000acre sheep run.
AnswerID: 543856

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 20:53

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 20:53
G'day Wombat.

I was surprised to see the signs for Milparinka saying open for business. Actually, pleasantly surprised.
Phil and Bec are operating the pub. I think they previously owned it and are back.
They're having a good go. The beer is cold and the hotel is a great place to hang around out of the heat fro a while.
There is so much to look at inside the pub. Brilliant old maps that are literally irreplaceable, plus old photos, stories, letters, bills of sale.
Next time we'll stay longer.

We walked up to Sturts Cairn, visited Poole's Grave and Depot Glen. The whole story is quite amazing and going to the place and standing in the footsteps of those men is one of the most worthwhile experiences I've had travelling. I can still sense the sadness and frustration Sturt must have felt when he lost Poole.

We snuck down a station track to get a better look at Lake Peery. The carpark National Parks have set up for visitors to see Lake Peery is close to woeful. We got to view it in all it's shimmering, dusty glory. It has it's own type of beauty and I'm glad we made the effort to check it out.

When we were in White Cliffs there were a group of people from a station "about 50 miles east" of White Cliffs. They were a great group of people that kept the pub open until 2 am. They would have been from Goodwood way.

Hoo roo,
Steve

FollowupID: 831000

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 20:45

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 20:45
Couldn't agree more, I love western NSW. I am a big fan of those wide open plains that seem to stretch forever.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 543886

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 06:30

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 06:30
What a great account of your trip! It's lovely to read such nice stuff about NSW - your dead right about it being so accessable to the east coast brigade. Have you heard of the group called Outback Beds, they have lots of Stations and farms as members - Goodwood are members too. Might see you one day Steve? Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 543905

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 07:52

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 07:52
Thanks Toni.

On our last trip through Queensland we stayed at Charlotte Downs and Aldville, near Cunnamulla.

We really enjoyed both stays and plan to do it again. We're big fans of soaking in bores, so that's why we stayed at those places.

Steve
FollowupID: 831020

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Friday, Jan 09, 2015 at 06:24

Friday, Jan 09, 2015 at 06:24
Hmm, we don't have spas, but do have fantastically good showers with the right water, at the right temperature! Cheers Toni
FollowupID: 831070

Sponsored Links