Route Update - Coorong National Park & Younghusband Peninsula

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 20:30
ThreadID: 110909 Views:2583 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give me an up-to-date route report (and/or any other advice) on the 4WD tracks along the Younghusband Peninsula - south/coastal side of the Coorong National Park ?

I am travelling from Geelong VIC to Goolwa SA and I don't want to just dawdle along the blacktop, Princes Highway. In SA I would like to leave the Highway after Port Caroline to The Granites and then past the salt lakes, continuing along the coast to Hindmarsh Island and over to Golwa.
NeilM_BoabOZ
UHF Channel # 15 - Callsign BoabOZ Mobile 2189
HF Callsign VKS737 Mobile 2189 / Selcall Number 2189 Iridium SatPhone 0405 894 252

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 21:13

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 21:13
Neil, where is Port Caroline ???

4x4 Earth had a group through there last weekend from Canunda to 42 Mile Crossing (Coorong).
From all reports, beaches generally pretty good, though the usual ones at Little Dip CP soft (Erringtons / Little Dip beaches).
Some big seaweed patches are very slippery, so watch them.

A big note.
Always plan to drive these beaches at low tide, or really safe with the outgoing tides (more time to get out of something difficult).

Canunda (Carpenter Rocks to Southend) is great for driving, generally similar to Beachport - Robe (Little Dip CP section in there), lots of great dune tracks, as well as beaches.
Geltwood Beach (~5km) can be soft sometimes, but reported it is good driving atm.

You can drive some nice beaches and dune tracks from Pt Mac to Carp Rocks too, but more isolated and you need to do a little route finding.

From Robe to Kingston is generally very easy, some soft stuff to near Boatswains Pt, but usually no probs running 15psi.

Around Wrights to Cape Jaffa, then on to Kingston . . . between Jaffa and Kingston is the best sand, water, for a swim / fish if it's calm / warm.
Watch Kingston, the beach from the Jetty south is usually closed to vehicles, need to get off at one of the south entry / exit points, I usually do so adjacent Johnston Ave.

A bit of blacktop through town and around to get on the beach at end of Toops Rd, or the beach entry track after Blackford Drain as SOMETIMES the drain is flowing too much to cross, should be ok now though.

Kingston to the Granites usually as hard as the blacktop below the high tide mark, so unless doing it at very high tide it's great to drive around 60ks if you like (have personally done it a lot faster :D, but never recommend it to others).

North of the granites is firm for a short while, then it gets moderate to very soft at times, progressively worse all the way further.
There was the big fishing comp there last weekend, and it might have gotten chewed up just a little.
Just watch for any increasingly angled beaches, stay on the high track, never go low unless you have assistance near. Those angled beaches with shell grit can be little a spiders trap \ /in the desert sand mate, so watch them.

You can exit at numerous points, 28 Mile, Wreck, 32 Mile, 42 Mile, or Tea Tree Crossings (which is dry now, so can do it ok).

It's not really worth going past TTX to the mouth now, closed at the end for dredging, so unless you don't mind a bit of a walk t othe mouth, not worth the increasingly angled and sometimes very soft sand.

You can drive Goolwa Beach down to the mouth from the other sdie for a look anyway.
Access down Beach Road Goolwa, air down in the carpark, and a nice drive to the end of the Murray R.

Back a ways . . . Tea Tree is the last exit from the YHP over the Coorong.
You can go to the highway nad north, along the way check out Salt Ck (worth a stop for a shark burger), Jacks Point Pelican observatory, then take Seven Mile Rd and hug the Coorong coast, 11km of Narrung Rd black stuff, then Long Point, Mark Point, and Loveday Bay Rds around to cross on the ferry at Narrung.

Up to the Princes Hwy, turn to cross another ferry at Wellington, then through Langhorne Ck (wine country) to Goolwa.

A good route :)
AnswerID: 545039

Follow Up By: NeilM_BoabOZ - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 10:24

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 10:24
Hiya Les PK Ranger - thanks for your very detailed Reply advice - looks like you must be a local ?? Port Caroline is about 36 50 S 139 50 E on the Hema 2114 Australia Topo 250k map I am looking at. Have a look at my screen grab PDF which (hopefully) is attached below and working.

NeilM_BoabOZ
UHF Channel # 15 - Callsign BoabOZ Mobile 2189
HF Callsign VKS737 Mobile 2189 / Selcall Number 2189 Iridium SatPhone 0405 894 252

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 832553

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 12:55

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 12:55
And stay on the high sand track. If you venture down near the shore line you may not venture back out.
FollowupID: 832558

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 15:57

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 15:57
Ah, I see. That's the lighthouse tourist place at Kingston.
Must have been a Port Caroline at Cape Jaffa in the old days then I guess.

If you're only going in at Kingston, you'll be able to do up to one of the Coorong exits in one day Neil.

I would look at doing at least Beachport to Robe on the dunes / beaches tracks.
Loads of fun, and you should be fine taking care.

Maps for these are available from most of the SE tourist centres . servos etc, have good maps and notes.

Otherwise there are copies here . . .
Part 1 Beachport to Nora Criena

Part 2 Little Dip section to Robe.

Note, from Nora Criena, there';s a bit of back road gravel to travel to the second entry at Little Dip.
That entry at Erringtons is the often soft on, you can go past that enty if you like and go down Long Gully track to pick up the dunes again, or just give Erringtons / Little Dip beaches a go and stay high :)

Also these links might be handy for you . . .

If you want to do Canunda drive Carpenter Rocks to Southend, the maps are here to download (1 & 2).
Canunda and Beachport maps

A beaut pdf for the Coorong . . .
Tattler Coorong section

Offroad guide Limestone Coast
FollowupID: 832570

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 15:59

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 15:59
Not a local, just head down from Adelaide Neil, but love going down there for sure.
FollowupID: 832572

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 21:15

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 21:15
Hi Neil

You can not drive over the Murray Mouth, even though they have just started dredging it again from lack of flow and starting to silt over.

The only way to Hindmarsh Island is over the bridge at Goolwa.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545040

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 22:22

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 22:22
Sure is a fine bridge, was just mentally visualising (very vaguely) the ferry service before the bridge was finally put in, but been a while now since that was operating.
FollowupID: 832534

Reply By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 22:51

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 22:51
On the 250k map you get tricked into thinking you can drive onto Hindmarsh Island from the South. As the others have said, the only way on is over the bridge at Goolwa. It's a long way around via the Wellington ferry. There's a decent free camp at Langhorne Creek.
AnswerID: 545044

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 08:51

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 08:51
Yeah, just south of town on the right, very popular.
Also, take an hour for a bit of a look around Strathalbyn, nice little town and beaut parks / paths through and around the river for lunch if timed right.
FollowupID: 832549

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 13:03

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 13:03
A great camp spot is Point Sturt with waterfront views. Its not far from Strath, approx 10km off the main road just out of Milang heading in on a dirt road and its "free"
FollowupID: 832560

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 08:51

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 08:51
Still wanting to check on this Port Caroline location.
Nothing comes up in Google search / maps ?
AnswerID: 545053

Sponsored Links