Help pleas ULP & LPG availability Ceduna SA to EsperanceWA

Submitted: Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 08:40
ThreadID: 110915 Views:5116 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
The commander in Cief has run out of patience with me and is demanding that we start to plan our trip to WA.
My previous excuses of no LPG availability and the roadhouse/petrol stations are no longer believed.
Can someone give me an idea of the distance between these roadhouses that have at least ULP. We travel in a Nisszn 4500 Patrol with a 25' Windsor on the back and we get around 3.5km to the ltr less when into a head wind. We have an 90ltr ULP tank and an 90 LPG tank.
We would like to Port Augusta to Port Lincoln to Ceduna and accross to Esperance.
Many thanks
PeterM (Qld)
Stay well and stay safe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 08:44

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 08:44
Google is your friend

http://www.elgas.com.au/autogas-lpg-cars/autogas-site-locator
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545052

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 12:26

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 12:26
Gas is available at most of the roadhouses. You had better check with the Bank Manager first though. It is probably cheaper to run on petrol rather than gas, because the price difference in minimal. Don't know the current prices, but it is expensive all the way from Wudinna (SA) to Norseman (WA). You should have no problems in running the distances between the outlets.

I used to have a Pajero running on gas, and I set the system up so that when it was on gas, the petrol pump was not operating. This allowed me to run on petrol in remote areas using the gas as a reserve supply. I could run to empty on petrol and then the petrol pump would not be ruined.
AnswerID: 545068

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:26

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:26
G'day Erad
Thanks for the info
Was it a LPG mechanic who set up your system as you described. I have on two occasions run the ULP tank down past the 1/4 full mark with no obvious problems but a lot of angst.
Regards
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 832579

Follow Up By: Erad - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 18:29

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 18:29
Peter:
I found the power supply running to the fuel pump, cut it and inserted a relay with normally closed contacts. When the gas system was activated, the relay opened the petrol pump supply and therefore shut the pump off. If I didn't do this, the petrol pump would have been running all the time - hence the normal requirement to keep 1/4 tank at all times. I did this myself, but there is no reason anyone couldn't do it - it is only a matter of finding the 12V supply to the gas system, and the 12V supply to the petrol pump. If the Nullarbor crossing is the worst you are doing, don't worry about the relay - from memory the maximum distance between fuel outlets is only a bit over 200 km. You just have to be prepared to pay through the nose for it, that's all. Distances up Northern WA are further between gas outlets, and of course the Gibb River Road or Cape York is out of the question for gas.

I only had 45L of petrol in the car tank, and a useable 60L of gas, so towing our 16.5 ft Jayco poptop caravan, we had a range of 300 km on gas or petrol, total 600 km if really needed. I also carried a 20L jerry can (empty until I got into scarce territory). Over the years, I did 3 trips around the block, and used 2 tankfuls of petrol on each trip, so LPG availability is not such a problem as many people would have you believe. Places lile Camerons Corner and the Kimberley (or for that matter most of NW WA) have few LPG outlets, but we managed quite well. Mind you, as yet we haven't been to Birdsville, but that is now on the list because I now have a diesel Pajero. Incidentally, the diesel Pajero costs more to run than my old LPG one, even with the current high prices of LPG. I did the maths years ago, and when the cost of LPG got over about 60% of the diesel cost, only then was diesel cheaper.

As stated above, I only had 45 L of petorl, because the original tank was removed to fit the gas bottle. We did the Cameron's Corner trip when the car was new and the gas system had just been installed. In order to stop complaints, the fitter had shortened the petrol pump bracket so that it didn't vibrate on the bottom of the tank. I filled with gas at Biloela and switched to petrol because the next gas was at Roma. After 200 km, the engine stopped! Switch back to gas and limp into Rolleston to fill up with petrol, and it took 28L! So we did the rest of the trip with 28L in the car tank and one 20L Jerry can, with a full tank of LPG as reserve. Needless to say, the car went straight back to the fitter and he arranged a new (slightly larger) tank, but he didn't lengthen the bracket until I pointed out to him what the original problem was - there was about 15L of petrol which the pump couldn't access. That was an interesting trip, but we always had the gas as reserve.
FollowupID: 832583

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 13:42

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 13:42
Peter, if you really want gas you can phone ahead to ensure availability. It can happen that they are out of supplies when you get there. Same happens with diesel sometimes too. With a 90 litre ULP tank, you should not have problems. The longest span is 192 kilometres from Balladonia to Norseman.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 545069

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:28

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:28
Thanks for that Motherhen
I'm still trying to locate the towns/roadhouses etc so I can plan my trip.
I will get a better map of the route to help me
Regards
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 832580

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:31

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:31
Hi Peter

I will send comprehensive details by member message.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832581

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 07:43

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 07:43
Thanks Motherhen
I received your MM but some of the detail has been over ridden by adds etc.
Is there a web page that I can go to, to look at the original og?
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 832611

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 09:37

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 09:37
Hi Peter

I have sent you another MM with my email address. If you can't read it, you can find it in My Profile.

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832621

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 09:50

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 09:50
Also Peter, I you can reply to my first message, please do so, leaving my message in it because EO does not seem to keep copies of messages sent. Then I can see exactly what I got together for you.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832625

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 15:52

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 15:52
Peter M - Be prepared with your heart pills when you buy LPG across the Nullarbor.
The LPG prices can be nearly triple at these places. They seem to think selling LPG is a licence to print money. I can't see any other reason for the pricing.

I used to run back and forth between Adelaide and Kalgoorlie in a Holden V8 powered Bedford truck. It was dual-fuel and I never bought any LPG across the Nullarbor, it was much cheaper to run on petrol.

Unfortunately, having LPG today is no saving at all, even with current city prices.
It's just a way of getting reamed big-time. At one time, LPG was always 40% the cost of petrol - now it's 60-80% of the petrol price, and there's not a single benefit from running on LPG, except perhaps longer engine life and less oil changes.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 545076

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:32

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:32
Thanks Ron
Yes North Queensland is the same'
With ULP in Brisbane at close to $1.00 ltr in Townsville ours is $1.25 to $1.299 and LPG has stayed constant @ $0.899 per ltr less any shopper dockets. Diesel has stayed pretty constant throughout
Yes first the Federal Government conned us & then the State Governments with their Royalties made us buy more vascelene and the big end of town made more money to send overseas.
Regards
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 832582

Reply By: Tony H15 - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:40

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 17:40
I used to have a V6 petrol Rodeo on LPG when I was living in Perth. LPG prices were good as long as you stayed in the metro area. Once out of the metro area prices exploded and not all servos had it. Unless things have changed a lot, I think you'll find in some areas you won't be able to get it and it will be cheaper to run on petrol.
AnswerID: 545080

Reply By: philw - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 18:10

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 18:10
If LPG was available everywhere and priced fairly,diesel 4X4's would not exist.
AnswerID: 545083

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 07:45

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 07:45
You are right there ohilw
Just look at America to see that
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 832612

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 21:30

Friday, Jan 30, 2015 at 21:30
unsure why you think you may have an issue? I've driven that trip with a petrol loving Nissan e 20 with a 45 tank .
if you go south from belladonna next juice is Duke of orleans/condingup
AnswerID: 545088

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 07:50

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 07:50
Thank you get outmore
As I mentioned earlier I need a better map. Google hasn't been all that helpful with the names of some places/towns I have gleaned from Camps 7.
Obviously Duke of Orleans/condingup is not too far from Belladonna but what is Duke of Orleans?
Thank you for your help
Regards
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 832613

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 09:39

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 09:39
it is a fair way from balladonia - duke of orleans is a caravan park, thats only if you head south
if your just going accross the highway then theres plenty of fuel the whole way
FollowupID: 832622

Reply By: Member - GrantBoxer - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:39

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:39
I have just returned from trip across the Nullarbor and ULP prices varied from $1.20 near Adelaide to about $1.57 across the Nullarbor.
AnswerID: 545106

Reply By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:45

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:45
I drove an LPG dual fuel Mitsubishi van from Sydney to Perth and back in 1986 and had no trouble getting petrol or gas. Even back then, the price difference out there made very little difference whether you ran on gas or petrol. We kept the lpg full, ran on petrol and refuelled every 400 odd kilometres until we got back to an area where the gas price was reasonable again. From memory that was Port Augusta or Norseman. The longest distance between fuel stops is around 200kms.
AnswerID: 545107

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 08:29

Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 08:29
Thank you all
The information and help I have received is great.
Obviously I hadn't done any real research and just thought it was to far & to hard
Off to buy a new Hema map and start researching Wiki Camps, Explore Oz places & caravancaravan & plan our trip
Regards to you all
Stay well & stay safe
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 832683

Follow Up By: disco driver - Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 12:08

Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 12:08
Come on Peter,
You just didn't want to leave sunny Qld, it needed the Manager of House Business to poke and prod you just to get started.
Once you get here in WA you will wonder why you didn't come here ages ago.
In fact you may want to stay here permanently.

Seriously, when you get to Norseman(named after a horse) turn left and travel to Esperance and across the south coast westward, eventually finishing up in Perth and you will see what I mean about staying permanently.

Disco.
FollowupID: 832696

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 07:39

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 07:39
G'day Disco
You are probably right but saturdays electoral fiasco in Queensland of what looks like a hung parliment might hasten the need to travel.
We flew to Perth some years ago and spent 3 weeks driving around the South West & loved it. We travelled back to the east coast via train and that was great too.
Now all I have to do is work out when to travel and convince our grand children that they will not see for awhile unless they come visit.
See you there
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 832732

Sponsored Links