Going via cockleshell road from Jurien Bay to Stock Yard Valley

Submitted: Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 13:54
ThreadID: 11095 Views:1936 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Going via cockleshell road from Jurien Bay to Stock Yard Valley to see the caves and my wife saying what I was quietly thinking, that we had been sent on a wild goose chase for miles of dirt roads and rough sand tracks just wide enough so you don’t start loosing body parts off the LC to finally arrive in the middle of nowhere- and not being able to find a parking spot. Unbelievable… then to entrance the caves which where 15 minutes before here say, and my wife to be greeted with “Diane is that you?” friends not seen for 15 years.. Unbelievable ! The Jeep Club from Perth had arrived prior to us. I m still scratching my head.

Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:02

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:02
Bill Ive been thinking about doing that one myself after reading about in the local 4x4 mag last year.Was it good? Is it signposted or do you need the directions in the magazine? Thanks
AnswerID: 49522

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 19:00

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 19:00
I have loaded the track into the plot file index (Pedro) its on page 3 the camping at the lake was great with showers and toilets , head around the left of the lake when you get to the carpark there are some very nice sites , the ranger may call for camping fees in the morning
FollowupID: 311361

Follow Up By: koh - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:10

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:10
Hello Ross
It was good... We didn’t really know what to expect prior to going there so next time I would like to be a bit more prepared for the trip but well worth the drive. Not overly sign posted but not too hard to miss... a mud map is handy to have with you as it was a bit confusing where the road forks, one toward a house the other veering east... take the one toward the house basically straight on... ill do a trek note as suggested from the Oz-team.
Take a picnic basket, you’ll enjoy it. I have a few pictures ill post on my web page soon if you’d like a look or drop an email to me koh@timegate.net.au and ill forward some for you …

Cheers
Bill
FollowupID: 311431

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:39

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 14:39
Koh - maybe you would be interested in submitting a Trek Note?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 49528

Follow Up By: koh - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:18

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:18
As I mentioned above Michelle i'll put a trek note together for you soon.. I plan to do the trip again soon so ill take more notes and Km readings etc.
PS thanks for forwarding our parks pass to Kalbarri over the holidays...

Cheers
Bill

FollowupID: 311434

Reply By: Member - Alan - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 17:36

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 17:36
Its been a few years since I was last up that way but we came in from the North (off the Eneabba / Leeman Rd) , the turnoff is a few Ks West of lake Indoon. We camped at Lake Indoon and took a day trip in to the caves, I found this track better than coming in from the South, there is also interesting country /lakes and water birds north of lake Indoon if you are into tracks and exploring etc.
Regards

Alanc
AnswerID: 49678

Sponsored Links