Are you a member?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 01:46
ThreadID: 111006 Views:2595 Replies:14 FollowUps:30
This Thread has been Archived
Are you a member?

This website and forum are probably some of the best resources available to the 4x4 enthusiast and traveller. And the best thing about all of this, is that it is FREE. And there is no compulsion to be a member.

However, websites cost, and they cost to maintain. and the Exploroz people have provided us with a wealth of information, which I have no doubt we have all utilised at one time or another when planning our own trips.

I have noticed that members have that title listed in front of their name, and I assume that the names without that tag are not members. And many contributors who appear to spend a lot of time getting involved in the various topics, and have plenty to say, appear to my observations, to be missing that Member tag.

It seems to me that these contributors want to be involved, and make use of the facilities being made available, but don’t want to contribute to the upkeep and hence, the viability of the website. I was a “lurker” (I believe they call it) for a couple of years, and then decided that I should cease being a freeloader, and become a member. I don’t necessarily get involved in a lot of discussions, but I do read and learn from the forums, and consider my $50 well spent.

Are you a member, or one of those other types of visitors?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 07:00

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 07:00
Your post is highly offensive and in my opinion will cause some contributors to leave. You are seeking to drive a class wedge into the contributor base. The site forum is only as good as its contributors, full stop. People volunteerily adding value to the site via their contributions, for free, should be commended not stigmatized. You say you rarely contribute? Well good on you. Membership has advantages and you pay for them. I was a member for a number of years and the site owners should be asking why I'm not now.

Maybe all the freeloaders should exit en masse and leave it as a cosy little members club? The kiss of death through inactivity I think.
AnswerID: 545437

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 07:23

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 07:23
Laurie,

Whether a person has the Member title in front of their screen name is purely their choice and has no real relevance as to membership.

Look at the bottom left of any post and that will tell you if the poster is a member or visitor, with or without a photo.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545438

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:51

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:51
Point taken. I don't ever recall asking for it to be put in front of my screen name.... it just "happened"

Cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 833020

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:05

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:05
I am a member and it's not shown. And I am happy with it that way. And yes this site is well visited.
FollowupID: 833043

Reply By: WBS - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 07:35

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 07:35
Seeing as you asked !:
No!
I was a member but now I not. According to you that makes me a "lurker" and a "freeloader". Not a problem to me. I just found the forum got less interesting to me over the years as it gradually degraded in discussion quality so I decided to lapse my membership. Your post merely confirms my decision.Can I assume from your post that you ignore all lurkers comments and posts and that no lurker has ever provided a valuable contribution to a discussion?

I still buy stuff from the shop so don't think the owners of the site are missing out totally from my lurking.
WBS

AnswerID: 545439

Follow Up By: WBS - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 07:40

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 07:40
It seems my typing hasn't improved over the years either. I meant to say "but now I'm not a member"
WBS
FollowupID: 833003

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 08:13

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 08:13
I thought we freeloaders did contribute a little and only try to help where questions are asked. So I guess the administrators need to block all of us freeloaders. Easy to do, just make it members only and that would keep the members happy, not a real problem for us, we will survive. :) And I will try and stop posting, sorry, didn't mean to offend. Kevin
AnswerID: 545442

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 12:02

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 12:02
I feel that you have missed the point, which is, have non-members who use the website on a regular basis, considered becoming a member to help contribute to the upkeep of this valuable resource.

It is none of my business whether they do or don't, and I certainly don't suggest that they cease to come here.

cheers
Laurie

FollowupID: 833022

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 13:23

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 13:23
If as you say, it is none of your business, why did you bother starting the thread?

FollowupID: 833033

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 08:23

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 08:23
Laurie, it’s unnecessary to distinguish between a ‘member’ and a ‘visitor’ in terms of contribution to the forum. That just tends to polarise people.

What people need to remember is that the forum is only one small part of the Exploroz site. It’s the whole suite of information, tools and knowledge that make it such a fantastic resource. While the forum is a bonus and a great way to share knowledge and experience, there is a lot more handy stuff that provides amazing tools to make trip planning easy and informative.

I happily pay my dollars to support the site as a whole. That is personal choice I make because I feel that this great resource is worth having. It is also a much cheaper option for me than hosting my own website for my blogs etc. If anyone has had the least bit of experience with running a website, you’ll know that the costs in development, hosting and warehousing in particular are astronomical. I’m pretty sure that we would all be shocked to learn what it costs to operate and maintain a site as comprehensive as Exploroz. D & M have done an amazing job building this site from nothing. Members and visitors alike have helped with their contributions to places, blogs, articles and the forum. The real dollar contribution is in keeping the whole site, this amazing resource running. I’m pretty sure that much of the income generated by the EO site would go straight back in to maintaining and running it and that is where your membership contribution is so important.

My thoughts. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 545446

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 23:49

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 23:49
What he said!!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 833083

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 08:28

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 08:28
If you are serious about membership why did you only pay for one year ($50) instead of the lifetime membership for ($300).

The reason this site works so well is it gives people with a problem the answer without a charge attached.
You could get the same answer at a dealer after you pay him to look.

If you just have members answers and questions, it would be boring with limited answers and advice.

I think your post is wrong. I welcome everyone to this site, member or not to give there much need advice.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545447

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:21

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:21
Good question. I pay on an annual basis, and have been a member for I think, 5 years. In another couple, I will have paid $350 and rising. It's more affordable for me that way. But I AM a member.

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 833016

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 08:56

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 08:56
Ah well, the way I see it is, if they didn't want us around then they would stop us being involved. It would be fairly simple to "Turn us off"

Don't forget, we are a resource for them as well, we get marketed to, So far I haven't heard the team complain, and I have never been pestered (by ExplorOz) to pay for membership.
AnswerID: 545449

Follow Up By: Notso - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 10:08

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 10:08
Hmmm, just been thinking, he probably owns a Tojo as well!
FollowupID: 833010

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:47

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:47
Yep, "he" does. 1999 HZJ105 with 480k on the clock and it has never let "him" down.

:-)

Laurie
FollowupID: 833019

Follow Up By: Notso - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:28

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:28
Yep! way of life EH.
FollowupID: 833047

Reply By: Nigel Migraine - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 09:10

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 09:10
This forum is *much* less interesting and useful than six or seven years ago.

The reason for that is that many knowledgeable and interesting people were driven away by changes in site policy or dismissed by the owners.

If you want to give money to a commercial venture then go ahead and indeed seek to have the forum/site reduced to "Members" only - and then see what you're left with.

There are plenty of alternatives to ExplorOz these days and this has now become one of the lesser resources.
AnswerID: 545455

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 10:35

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 10:35
Nigel,

The forum waxes and wanes - rich content sometimes, not so rich at other times.

I really doubt that you have any evidence for your assertion that many "knowledgeable and interesting people were driven away by changes in site policy or dismissed by the owners."

Maybe it's more a matter of "plenty of alternatives to ExplorOz these days" as you suggest, though I don't know of any sites with the breadth and depth of ExplorOz.

It's worth googling Australian travel stuff and travel gear - EO comes up quite often towards the top of the list, and that list is google weighted according to number of hits. Recently I googled to find the correct colour codes for trailer wiring - some manufacturers had it wrong, but EO had it right, and was close to the top of google's list.

There's a lot more to this site than just the forum!

I support The Landy's remarks below.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 833012

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:13

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:13
Nige, It’s funny how our recollection can be coloured by seeing only what we want to see. Even our interpretation of a persons post can differ significantly. I couldn’t see anywhere in the original post where he suggested it become members only?

I remember the forum from 6 or 7 years ago a lot differently. There were quite a few opinionated individuals who used the site as their own personal fiefdom. Personal attacks were frequent and new posters asking a question were constantly flamed by those who thought it beneath their dignity to answer . I’m pretty sure the way these people conducted themselves ran contrary to how the owners of the site visualised the forum experience to be.

It was because of the actions of the toxic few that we ended up with a moderation policy and guidelines for forum use. Once they couldn’t freely talk about themselves, heap scorn and abuse or behave poorly, they drifted off to hold court on Facepage. I note that not one of them started up their own lifestyle site as one past ‘luminary’ threatened to do. Of course you’d have had to pay a little fee to help with the running of it….lol.

I suppose the joy of the modern age is you can go talk about yourself in any number of public forums but when it comes down to getting useful information and stuff, you come here.

My personal reminisces only.

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833014

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 00:19

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 00:19
"Plenty of alternatives to EO these days"

That may be the case, but given the number of paid up members is at record levels suggests many still see value in the membership fee and those luminaries of the past who departed have had no overall negative impact.
In fact reading this thread tells us that even former financial members return to partake and learn, despite "plenty of alternatives"
Add to this the number of registered visitors and site hits is also continuing to grow to new highs clearly means this site rates at the top of the list when it comes to information sought.

Furthermore Mr Migraine, I see you still visit and post regularly so the site still attracts you even with "plenty of alternatives"

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 833086

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 10:10

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 10:10
Everyone should endeavour to contribute in the best possible way they can, this might be financially through membership, or in other ways that are just as tangible.

But above all else it is incumbent on everyone to ensure comments are respectful of the views of others and courteous when interacting on the site, especially the forum – doing this is the best way to attract thoughtful and resourceful content, from both members and non-members alike.

I’m not sure what purpose this thread will serve other than to give those with an “axe to grind” a platform from which to shout that there are bigger and better websites elsewhere, and I see a few milling around already.

I simply say to all, consider your own contribution and ask yourself the question, is it adding value and is it relevant to the topic and the general theme of ExplorOz.

So hopefully the thread runs its course quickly and we move on to more interesting topics, like travelling this great country of ours!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy

AnswerID: 545461

Reply By: Idler Chris - Vic - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:12

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:12
Is this pandora's box that's just been opened? At any given time the non-members logged on out number the members by quite some considerable margin. Everybody who comes to this site do so for a variety of reasons. It is a great site for travellers with so much information and resources in the one spot. I have chosen to be a life member and I have done that for reasons that are unique to me. We all travel different roads and it is personal choice and circumstances that dictate whether people become a yearly member, a life member, or not a member. This site would not be as good as it is if it was a members only site, the non-members are a very important part of this site. It maybe the words "members" which is the issue here as it infers a good class and not so good class. Maybe a better term would be to call us all " users" which, to me anyway, does not separate us into classes so much. I would always encourage anyone to become a member because I see it as worth it, however I do not think any less of anyone whose circumstances are different to mine and choose not to become a member. Quite apart from any financial contribution there are members who contribute some of their time in being moderators and administrators of various parts of the site. Again this is their choice. You will be aware of computer software distributed as "shareware". This is where somebody writes a program and distributes it freely and ask anyone who uses it to make a contribution should they find it of benefit. I see this site in a similar light you make a payment in money and/or time if it is of value to you.

There have been a number of comments about the Forum. The problem with the Forum is we all travel different roads, we are at different stages of life, and have different experiances and have different expectations. When we post on the Forum it is in a context that others do not know, and hence misunderstanding and frustration are unfortunately the norm and not the exception. When I post I try very hard to keep this in mind, but try as I might, I still get responses indicating that a person has read something into my post which was not there. At other times I will spend time giving a response only to find that they have not given all the facts which can mean I have wasted my time. I do not know what others do, but when on the Forum I will always look for a persons profile to have a better understanding of their circumstances so that I can make my response as meaningful as possible. This is not possible with non members so therefore in many cases I do not respond as I do not know enough to give a meaningful answer. If you post on the Forum I would suggest that you do your best to ensure that you give all the facts so that those that try to help you are fully informed which gives them the best chance to give a meaningful reply. The best way I know of doing that is by being a member and setting up a profile. Having said that, still be aware that people will post issues where they are a "newbie" and do not know all the facts that are relevant which is the very reason they post in the first place. They need a bit more patience in replying too.
I hope people understand that there is no us and them on this site, everybody is welcome. Now while this site is a commercial venture by D & M they don't live Peppermint Grove, and they drive an 80 series Toyota not a Range Rover Vogue. I think you can glean from this that a significant portion of the subscriptions is going into improvements in this site which is to the advantage of all of us.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 545466

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:41

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:41
You have hit the nail on the head Idler Chris.

I am not advocating this should be a member only site ... as I said, I used the site for a couple of years before becoming a member, using the treks to plan trips, and other information around the site, before deciding to contribute to the upkeep of what I believed was a worthwhile resource.

I am also not suggesting that non members should cease to contribute to the forum - I learn as much from them as I do "members".

I also erred in not taking notice of the member status in the bottom LH corner of the posts.

But the thought still remains. Do you value the site enough, to help ensure it's viability to consider becoming a "paid up" contributor.

And if I have offended some, then I apologise, but I suggest it's more about you than about me.

Next subject .......

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 833017

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 21:41

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 21:41
Very well put Chris.

If someone needs some quick information or advice on a whole range of subjects to do with traveling Oz this is the site for them, if someone has something to contribute on the same vein, this is the site for that also.

Everyone gets a guernsey so long as they remain civil, as far as I can see.

And, as you say, contributions to this site come in all sorts of ways from both visitors and members alike contributing good advice, pleasant responses, fast accurate information and good humour, not to mention members financial contributions and many other sources to numerous to mention.

Many pieces make a prize winning pie, do they not.

It is the breadth of experiences held by the members and visitors to this site which is its main strength and it is that which makes this site a winner. IMHO

Cheers Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 833076

Reply By: Peter F9 - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:52

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:52
Laurie,

What you seem to be unaware of is how an internet based business model works. All visitors, whether members or not, drive traffic to the site. Traffic to the site is what drives advertising to the site, which drives revenue to the owners of the site.

If non members were just free loaders then the owners of this site would block them. They don't because ALL eyeballs are economically valuable to the site.

Why not ask the owners of the site to clarify why they allow non members.

Regards

Peter
AnswerID: 545473

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 12:11

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 12:11
G'day Peter

I am fully aware of how it works, I have run a business based website for many years.

I am not suggesting that users of the site should be members and that it should be a members only site. I am asking people who use the site that are not members, had they considered becoming one, thus contributing to the upkeep of this valuable resource.

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 833025

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Vic - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 12:56

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 12:56
You don't have to ask D & M why they allow non-members, it is quite obvious as you have pointed out, non members still generate advertising revenue.
Member or not we are all are helping to pay for this site just by logging on. The thing is that it is a commercial venture and will only continue if it pays its way and pays a return to the owners. Now I am not saying that if more people don't pay a subscription that the site will fold, I do not believe that is anything like the case. Over the years the site has grown, improved, and becomes a much more valuable resource for us users. Improvements cost money its that simple. More members means more funds, so the capacity to expand and improve this site is greater. I think the intention of Laurie's post was not to upset people but to encourage people to look at what value this site is to them and maybe consider a contribution which will encourage further expansion of this great resource.
According to "Similarweb" ExplorOz ranks at the moment 3,440 in Australia and 135,825 in the world, that is quite amazing for a 3 man band. This is Australian and I suggest deserves our support.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833031

Follow Up By: Peter F9 - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:51

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:51
Laurie,

The fact that you say you have run a business based website for many years makes your original comment and reply even more interesting.

When you ask non members to become a member "thus contributing to the upkeep of this ....resource " seems to indicate your not quite across the concept that non member users do financially contribute via the higher advertising rates the owners of the site can charge businesses wanting to put their wares in front of our eyes! As well as the margin generated from sales of items in the ExploreOZ shop.

Again, non members are a valuable resource to this site hence why they are not excluded.

Chris,

I think you at least understand that non member users do financially contribute via the advertising side of the business model, so maybe when you say people should "...consider a contribution" you should more correctly ask people to consider a "further contribution". Thus avoiding Laurie's original insinuation that non members are non contributing "lurkers" or freeloaders which has clearly got up peoples noses and thus been counter productive to the cause.

Cheers

Peter

FollowupID: 833049

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 18:32

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 18:32
Peter, you are correct. I use my website to sell my wares, and as a teaser, I have my blogs, a Facebook page and a YouTube channel with around a hundred clips that are of course "Free" to view. However, people who visit my site, only contribute financially if they purchase something, and I would suggest that that would also be the case here, if non-members don't purchase and don't advertise. And I am not for one moment suggesting that they should.

I also contribute $200 a year to advertise on Exploroz, which is for my own benefit. And my membership also allows me access to other "goodies" offered by the company. Exploroz do offer a lot of resources to all of us for free, and as someone mentioned elsewhere, it's like shareware software, it's there for us to use, and pay for if we wish.

Looking back now, I have worded my original post a little awkwardly, and I said elsewhere, my intention was not to upset anyone.

I guess in my own way, I have just knighted a prince

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 833063

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 22:37

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 22:37
The value of the Exploroz forum has little if anything at all to do with a membership fee Laurie, it's (almost) entirely about content - as any successful forum is. As someone has already pointed out website traffic generates revenue (including business membership), so your comment that non-members who don't purchase something or advertise therefore aren't contributing "financially" is at least partly wrong. Information, observations and ideas are of significant value to forums/websites such as this, irrespective of their origins.
FollowupID: 833164

Reply By: Joe Fury - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 13:08

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 13:08
G'day Laurie.

G'day all other members and non members, or "lurkers".

I am a non member now after several years of active membership of ExplorOz I decided to pull the pin, you may well say I got my nose out of joint, but at the time for me it was totally justified.

I like to think I can and do contribute to this Forum if a question or query is raised about anything in the inland Pilbara, purely because it is where I live, where I travel and if pushed to admit where I work ~ I see the changes on a daily basis, the good the bad and the down right ugly.

My responses are unbiased and I hope totally accurate, I try not to undermine a reply or response by a person who "once travelled through the region 15 years ago" or if someone knows a bloke that travelled through the region last year as their opinion is valuable to me ~ history if you like.

My reason for pulling the pin on my membership was because I was moderated for showing an image of my vehicle where the licence plate was on display, the moderator deemed that I was deliberately advertising my business.

I did not deliberately shoot an image of my vehicles number plate to promote myself or my business, it was a real nice scene and the vehicle gave the shot depth of field or a perspective to the view and as a regional tour guide I am more than happy to big note about where I live and not about me.

I still take images of the landscape and my vehicle is still a very recognizable with the licence plate on display or flipped up so all that can be seen is a black rectangle, oddly I've never been moderated on any other forum I contribute too even when the licence plate is "on display".

As a lurker - non member I am not permitted to include images with anything I post, so the forum/web site is the one missing out and that's a real shame, because a picture really can say a thousand words.

Safe travels : Joe Fury
AnswerID: 545486

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:20

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 15:20
Thanks Joe

I too have been jumped on for displaying a pointer to my website (which I didn't realise at the time was a no-no), but rather than take umbrage, decided to try and abide by the rules.
Like you, I have an active interest in our country, but because of the rules, choose not to post links to video clips that would be beneficial to enquirers in planning their trips, because the clips do contain the usual XXXXX presents, and filmed by xxxx .... you get my drift. The visitors to the forum are the people who miss out, but, them's the rules.
If this post has brought to the attention of D & M, that there are areas of discontent that need to be addressed, then it hasn't been a waste of time.

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 833045

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 17:34

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 17:34
G'day Laurie

Point taken about the rules and I did not take umbrage when I was moderated, I just realized there and then my contribution at the time meant nothing, because the moderator focused on the licence plate being on display, not the story or the image view ~ just the licence plate.
The moderator would have had a real "hissy fit" if the image showed the side view of the vehicle ~ where the business is clearly advertised.

Had a member message been sent and an explanation given, I too would been contrite and made every effort in the future to cover up.

Well, that didn't happen and now I am a contributing non member.

I'd love to show you images of the water falls off the Ophthalmia Range escarpment as a result of last Tuesdays heavy rain falls, but sadly I can't.

FollowupID: 833058

Follow Up By: Gramps - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 21:43

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 21:43
Joe,

The statement

"As a lurker - non member I am not permitted to include images with anything I post"

Is not quite accurate in a number of areas.

1. You are not a "lurker", you are a Visitor - one who has taken time to register as such on this site. The term "lurker" is more appropriately used for the many "Anon" connections on the user list. They are not all autobots or such. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a "lurker" by the way. 99.99% of contributors to this site would have started as a "lurker".

2. As a registered Visitor you are able to contribute text and images to any thread on the Forum. You just need to host the image via a third party such as Photobucket etc. Just make sure there's no unauthorised advertising in the image :)

Regards
FollowupID: 833077

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 22:26

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 22:26
Onya Gramps

I've always had a phobia about that "lurker" title and assumed it a slightly sinister connotation, but I have been known to lurk around various waterholes and gorges watching and photographing the wildlife.

I have never had any success with Photobucket but I do use image storage and web site image up loading venues with great success and as such I have several hundred images spread out over the internet that don't seem to mind my vehicles number plate "on display"

Thanks for the information.

FollowupID: 833080

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 20:11

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 20:11
Hi Joe,

I’m sorry to hear that the issue raised about images of your vehicle in your forum signature (displaying a custom plate referring to your business) led to you ultimately no longer being a member. I remember discussing this with you at length on the phone, and via email back in 2011 - and thought that we had sorted it out? I can see that your membership only lapsed 6 months ago, was there something that occurred at this point that changed your mind about continuing with membership? It is definitely a loss that you, as a tour operator in the inland Pilbara, are no longer able to post information about the area, or images, and you obviously still use the site. It may be worthwhile for me to give you a call to see what we can sort out? It would be great to have you as a Business Member so that there are no restrictions on the images that you upload, and I’m sure you’d be able to submit some great Blog posts about your tour activities in the region!
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 833258

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 17:39

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 17:39
I do recall one particular business member a few years ago who used to start contentious/controversial threads, clearly, to bring his business to our attention.
AnswerID: 545500

Follow Up By: Rob J8 - Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 22:36

Friday, Feb 06, 2015 at 22:36
Probably the same bloke that got up my nose a few years ago and I let my membership lapse. I only started lurking about 12 months ago I was so ticked off, so Laurie, give it a rest Rob J
FollowupID: 833082

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 16:53

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 16:53
How to win friends and influence people, hey
Ive been a member and non-member (lurker) for years........In that time Ive had heaps of members and non-members call in for a beer/ coffee/ dinner, pull in their caravan and stay for weeks, borrow tools, fill water tanks, make repairs and even better make great friends.
I was under the impression this site was more than just somewhere MEMBERS can download your trip info........I thought it was also a public forum?

Is it alright to I still open my house /shed/ property to others or is that privilege reserved for members only? And can I only invite members even if Im currently not one of them.

Well done.......Im sure Im not the only person that is almost ready to pay membership again , and then along comes another post like this and makes you re think why you should?

Cheers
AnswerID: 545556

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 16:56

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 16:56
Hay Hairy are you back in the NT ??

Steve.
FollowupID: 833134

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 19:40

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 19:40
Gday Steve,
Is this the same Steve from many moons ago?

Na mate moved to WA about 4 years ago.......cant see us moving back.

Cheers
FollowupID: 833147

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 19:53

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 19:53
Yeah it is but tell anyone, I'm trying to behave.
FollowupID: 833149

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 20:33

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 20:33
Hi Hairy

With all due respect, I have not suggested ANYWHERE, that this should be a members only forum, nor a members only website. My initial post was clumsy, I admit, and was in fact NOT about the forum, but supporting the website overall.

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 833152

Sponsored Links