Swan hill to Camerons Corner

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 14:59
ThreadID: 111032 Views:2018 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guys and Gals,
I am planning a trip from Swan hill to Camerons corner for either late August or Early October this year.
I am looking at having a group of 6 to 10 4x4's, going from Swan hill to mildura, Broken hill, Camerons Corner, returning via Wilcannia and Menindee.

Is there anyone that has done the trip up to Camerons corner in the last year that could give me a heads up on......
Things that are a must see....
Things to watch for......
Idea's one what to include that we would normally think of.....

Any and all help and advise will be awesome,
Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kyle H - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 15:37

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 15:37
After Broken Hill head to Mutawinji National Park and stay for a couple of days.
Don't what ever you do throw the stick for the dog at Cameron Corner cause it will cost you $20 for the RFDS.
Don't call it Camerons Corner to the owner or it will cost you $5 for adding the "S".
Milparinka and Tibooburra are certainly worth an overnight stay if its your first time through the area.
AnswerID: 545552

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 16:30

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 16:30
Good camping and pub at Milparinka, also good museum. While at Milparinka, Depot Glen and Pooles grave are close by (of Bourkes fame).
FollowupID: 833130

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 17:52

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 17:52
Apart from the dog & stick and the possessive 's' on Cameron, there will be sure to be one or more other ways that you will incur a donation to RFDS. And fair enough too!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 833139

Follow Up By: Kyle H - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 21:04

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 21:04
How true is that Allan
All who camp at Cameron Corner when paying the fees have to put the $5 note with drawing pin and 20 cent piece and throw it at the roof and make it stick into the ceiling of the bar.
All moneys go to the RFDS.
Very typical for most places travelled in the Corner Country
FollowupID: 833156

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 17:53

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 17:53
G`day Mate,

Why not return via White Cliffs, Wilcannia and Menindee ?

Well worth a look or even a night or two.

Scrubby.

AnswerID: 545559

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 20:25

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 20:25
Gday
I found some 'Boce" balls on the Wilcania to Menindee road, maybee you can find the rest of the set for me.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 833151

Reply By: GarryR - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 07:13

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 07:13
the cook and I did it last August. Beware of road closures that time of year. We travelled to Euston our first nigt as we drove from Gippsland, then onto Mungo Nat Park and did the loop ( worth a look) then onto Pooncarrie , Menindee Broken Hill. This is where change and went onto Silverton then up beside the "Dog Fence" and stayed at Pineview Station in the shearer's quarters. ( great experience - most stations will have quarters available if not being used or have suitable areas to camp ) From here we came out about Fortville then onto Cameron Crnr This is combination of gravel, dirt and sand. If going through Pineview you must run a sandflag so their staff don't have an oncoming they also own the next 2 station up towards C/C. Coming bac fro C/c turn off at Fort Grey and go through Sturt Nat Park which in turn will bring you into Tibooburra. We travelled down to Packsaddle the onto White Cliffs, the to Balranald. Good tripwell worth doing different roads and not the same one's twice. As we had plenty of time we then transversed the Sunset Desert, Big Desert and the Little Desert prior to visiting family on the farm near Ararat. -- Garry R
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545571

Reply By: brendan b6 - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 21:21

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 21:21
WOW, thanks guys.....the info so far is awesome...we don't have a set route yet....so far it is all in the planning stages....
I do have 4 vehicles and at least 2 bikes coming so far....i would love to do dog fence run, sounds like a lot of fun and there is a lot to learn along the way too.....seems to me that i had better get on with it now....
What tracks/roads are likely to be closed around that time...?
Do we need permits or permission to do the dog fence...?
We have already do a few trips into sunset and the border track, little and big desert as well.... As we are based in Swan hill it is only a quick run on a friday night after work and we are in the desert and ready to play...
This is hopefully the first of many trips we are planning....

AnswerID: 546098

Sponsored Links