Road condition Mereenie Loop

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 15:39
ThreadID: 111033 Views:2314 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, Can someone comment on the road surface for the Mereenie Loop road from Kings Canyon to Glen Helen Resort, which is approx. 128km west of Alice Springs. Is it suitable for a Van if driven to the road conditions? While some distance is sealed at both ends the rest is unsealed and a permit is required.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 16:54

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 16:54
Hi Hooks

Although not a long distance, it is all unsealed and notorious for being rough and corrugated, even as little as two weeks after being graded. Unless you have a dedicated and quality off road caravan, I would not recommend risking it. You may be lucky and strike it just graded but for us the supposed grading a week or two before was not evident. We took our Bushtracker through, and it took all day, because we and another traveller were assisting someone who broke a spring on their camper trailer early in the journey. We had been travelling on these types of roads of much longer duration, such as the Tanami Road so were well prepared and had the right rig.

See My Blogs from 2008 for details of our touring in the area.

If you just want to drive it, you could do it as a day trip from Kings Canyon resort. Otherwise I do not consider it a short cut compared with taking the longer routes which are sealed. I have a map and chart of distances and times on all the roads in the area which I can provide this by email. You can contact me through my profile or Blogs.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 545557

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 21:43

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 21:43
Have to agree. Went through there without camper or caravan and was ok (nice drive) but in my opinion a little rough for trailers or caravans.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833158

Follow Up By: hooks - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:21

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:21
Thanks Motherhen, I thought it was highly likely that this section of road was going to be rough.
FollowupID: 833175

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 22:12

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 22:12
Bit late on this, but echo what DingoBlue said. We did it in July 2014 in a Subaru Forester on standard (aka city slicker) tyres at normal pressure. It was corrugated and rough most of the way from King's Canyon to the Hermansburg/GlenHelen junction (where the bitumen appears) and hadn't seen a grader in long enough to not matter. But driving to conditions on that ~156km section took us 2 hours.

Some scenic bits, some wild horses. One spot would get sticky after rain.

Towing? Only if you have a really rugged trailer and a penchant for slooow travel ....
FollowupID: 833266

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 22:19

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 22:19
From that junction the road to Hermannsburg got a whole lot rougher too.Palm Valley was worth going to for a few days.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833267

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 23:05

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 23:05
We went around the blacktop to Glen Helen Gorge ("Resort" indeed - snort!) the way the O/P planned so have only ever reached Hermannsburg from the Alice side, back in the 70's.
FollowupID: 833270

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2015 at 00:17

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2015 at 00:17
With good sealed roads linking the main places, the "short cuts" do not save time. We were surprised to find the road from the West Macdonnells to the Meerenie Loop junction sealed as it was unsealed on my maps. The track into Tnorala (Gosse Bluff) was rough, but an interesting impact crater which was a mystery only fully solved in the late 1960s.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833272

Sponsored Links