trek download

Not being real brilliant with software, I was looking at downloading a trek note. The question is the format. I have a Ipad with Hema and Mud Maps installed.. but asks me which format eg GPX, GeoRSS, Oziexp CSV, Hema, WKT. as I do not what all these letters stand for I assume I use hema for the download. Sorry it is a stupid question but one is tech challenged, and are still learning new things everyday - GarryR
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ModSquad - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 23:26

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 23:26
I wouldn't let it stress you too much Garry. We've referred it to the guru 'El Davo' and I'm sure he'll be back to advise you tomorrow (He's probably off doing something silly like Swimming 2 km, Running 15 and riding 150! Man there are better things to be doing on a weekend!).

Cheers

The squad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545606

Reply By: GarryR - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 12:22

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 12:22
yes. had a look at the article you mention BUT this does not answer my question that i originally asked, yes I can see the relevant track info. What I asked is I do not understand what all these formats stand for eg. GPX, WKT etc in the terms of downloading an article. There is one particular trek that I'm interested in downloading from another member as my current plans are to transverse this track this July and I am trying to get the info onto an Ipad newly purchased, tech that I'm yet to understand along with the cook. I'm still trying to get my sil (son in law) to give me a hand to teach both of us As stated I'm new to digital mapping for the first time as I normally only use Topo maps and compass, that is my forte. cheers GarryR

By no means the above comment personally as no pun is intended. Just trying to learn something totally different and cannot find the right answer.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 545614

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 13:06

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 13:06
Those formats are those that are used for the different map programs eg Oziexplorer, Hema, Garmin etc. Oziexplorer can import GPX and convert to Ozi format.
What map program are you using? This will help in guiding you as to what format you should download.
FollowupID: 833231

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 14:08

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 14:08
Garry,

The GPX should be the format to use however I am not sure how to get data onto the iPad for these two programs. I have given up on Apple stuff it was just to restrictive. I think you need to transfer the files to the iPad via iTunes. I have an iPad and can have a play as it has MudMap on it but which Hema product do you have there are two.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545619

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 15:42

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 15:42
thanks for the information so far. The ipad is an air2 64gb gps, cellular with Hema and Mud maps installed by my sil. We both had a look at downloading a trek file but came up the, which of 6 formats do you require for the download and we both looked at each other and said wtf. He has now dumped it on me (techno idiot) to source the info required so he can show me how download the trek file, hence the question. Yes, my sil does have an iTunes account to use if I need to go there for the download. We both didn't understand what all the different formats were for. I am only assuming apple and android are 2 different systems, even though you can run the same eg hema,mud maps programs on both, the format for each will be different.
I have read various threads where members are using ipad doing exactly what I would like to achieve, hence starting this thread to get a better understanding on what and how to do things. I shall speak to my sil tonight and get him to try the GPX format as David/Michelle has advised. Any other input will still be appreciated.

thanks GarryR ..... (techno idiot)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833233

Reply By: GarryR - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 15:51

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 15:51
Sorry I miss read part of david's response as to which hema program. To tell you the honest truth I do not know. Will have to speak to sil and find out. I believe I am on a need to know basis at this stage, except when he says we ( meaning I - here I go again) need to purchase an item so we can both use it. _ Garry R

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 545623

Sponsored Links