Suggested route for Brisbane-Vic High country-Hobart-Brisbane

Submitted: Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 15:48
ThreadID: 111106 Views:1937 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
In late August & early Sept we are planning on a 3 week drive from Bris down through the Vic High country, around Tassie & back to Bris. Or maybe the High Country on the way back.

We wandered around the High Country at Christmas 2013, but my wife has never seen snow so we thought we'd go back towards the end of winter.The idea being that there would still be snow around but also more roads would be open than in the middle of winter.

Last time we drove down through Myrtleford, Mt Beauty, Omeo to Bruthen then across & up to Buchan & on north following the Snowy River Rd all the way to Jindabyne.

This trip we will drive straight to Vic over 2 days, and the same at the other end when coming home . We're planning to have 1 week in Tassie & 1 week around the high country. Give or take a day here & there. no set timing really.

Can anyone recommend scenic "winter" roads around & through the high country and any nice camping spots for that time of year. Doesn't have to be the eastern side as before. Happy to wander anywhere. We'd just really like to see the great spots.

I should say, our vehicle is a 2011 Troopie.Well set up (for us anyway) & by the time this trip comes around I'll have snow chains etc, so we're not too restricted with places to go...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 16:12

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 16:12
Only 1 week in Tassie??? You are joking surely. We were there for 3 months and didn't see every thing.
AnswerID: 545865

Follow Up By: Louwai - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 16:31

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 16:31
Yes I agree it's a bit short, but have been there a few times so just picking some spots we havn't been yet.. :)

And it gives us an excuse to go back again..
FollowupID: 833522

Reply By: Curlynan - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 17:54

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 17:54
There will most likely be snow on top of Mt Wellington in Hobart whilst you are in Tassie. Just a thought.
AnswerID: 545867

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 18:04

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 18:04
The BHP road is usually closed til early November. If it's a poor season they'll open it earlier when the snow's melted.

The Omeo Hway is low enough to be left open and is cleared sooner or later when there's a big dump.

That leaves the GAR via Hotham. It gets cleared but can be hairy at times. Find out before you head up. Great views from up top. Hike tent camping is possible in the Nat Park outside the ski resort boundaries. Stopping for more than a few minutes within the resort will cost you day entry of around $45.

Further to the West you could poke around the tracks around Mt Stirling near Mansfield. Or play in the snow at the Stirling XC resort. During season the road's closed at Telephone Box Junction.
AnswerID: 545868

Follow Up By: Louwai - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:57

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:57
Great info. Thanks. Our main issue is just not knowing what roads / areas are open during Winter.

FollowupID: 833686

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 20:12

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 20:12
I know you say you are going to Tassie to see stuff you've previously not seen , but surely that week could better be spent seeing stuff on the way to Melbourne or the run back again? Having just driven Melbourne to Brisbane in 2 days on our return home from Tassie, I can say I don't hope to do that drive in that time frame again any time soon.
AnswerID: 545876

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 08:17

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 08:17
Louwai
The whole of the Vic High County is beautiful
Stop at any Visitors centre in the Area and that will give you a good idea where to go.
There are great camping spots wherever you go.
I know this info is a bit general , but there are no bad locations

Have a good trip cheers.
AnswerID: 545899

Reply By: wombat100 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 19:29

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 19:29
3 weeks all up ???
AnswerID: 545926

Follow Up By: Louwai - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:55

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:55
Yes I'm afraid so... Only get 4wks annual leave & the 4th week is taken up with our wedding this year.... :) So 3 wks it is.

I am able to take leave without pay, but I had a total of 7wks last year. Did don't want to push it again this year. Still need income.. :)
FollowupID: 833685

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:53

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:53
Maybe just set a day aside for heading up to the snow to show the missus.

The downhill resorts have all the facilities. If you choose Falls Ck you can get a pedestrian ticket I believe for Falls Ck Express chair lift to take you to the top. Great views from there. Or just for a 'chair lift experience' Gully Chair is free but it only takes you to the village bowl. You can drive up to Windy Cnr for some pretty good views too. Day entry is about $45 and can be bought at the entry gate. Closest bush camp in season would be at Mountain Ck at the foot of Bogong. (A damn cold spot BTW.)

Quieter resorts are Baw Baw further south or as mentioned Mt Stirling to the west.Views aren't brilliant there (at TBJ) but it can be good for a snow introduction if there's any on the ground. All too often you have to walk up the trails. There's at least one spot for bush camping near the river as you drive up the valley to Mirimbah. Also on the way in from Mansfield is the turnoff to Sheepyard flat with some decent camping I believe but I haven't been there for decades.

Seasonal closures apply to most or all of tracks and roads in the high country except for those cleared by the resorts. That includes those to Buller, Baw Baw and Stirling. Study the ParksVic website for the general rules and other periodic opens and closures.

Other camping options are along the Mitta Mitta R on the Omeo Hway, both on the flats south of Mitta Mitta township and along the Tambo (?) River north and south of Anglers Rest further down the road.

HTH.
AnswerID: 546014

Sponsored Links