Mould damage to jayco

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 08:55
ThreadID: 111118 Views:4683 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
greetings brains trust, my jayco has been closed up for some time , the other day I open it to find water ingress and as a result mould of the canvas , roof and foam bed . Can anyone offer any remedy as to how to clean it , and im
guessing after using mild detergent on canvas I may have to add something back to it to make it water proof again ? The water ingress us come from a cracked roof vent/ cover , hopefully the attached photo works and Gove you an idea of the job ahead for us

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:15

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:15
I reckon that would not be repairable. Replacement seems to be on the cards. See your local tent maker.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545947

Follow Up By: Bega Boy - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:26

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:26
I think you may be right ... :(
FollowupID: 833628

Reply By: Member - allan t (NT) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:36

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:36
Hi
you can get rid of the mould by using a quater of a teaspoon of oil of cloves to a liter of water . put in spray bottle spray on and let it dry out and the mould will die and it kills the spores. there is some water proofing products around . the cieling might need replacing as it is plywood sheet.good luck a horrible job
allan
AnswerID: 545948

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:56

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:56
I have tried this oil of clove several times and it never worked. Tried different strength solutions, bought new oil of clove thinking that the first brand was off, everything. Never worked, whether in bathroom or on canvas (oztent)
CJ
FollowupID: 833627

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:59

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:59
Megaboy
Wow this is a bad dose of mould. I cannot help but think it is too big a task to complete without damaging the canvas to the extent that it is not waterproof anymore and will need replacing anyway
AnswerID: 545951

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:47

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:47
Hi Bega Boy

Sorry to see that image of your very badly damaged Jacyo interior.

Looks like it would be big dollars to repair.....how good do you get on with your Insurance rep, as you may be able to cover it against your caravan insurance.

All the best and hope things work out for you.

Cheers

Stephen
Simpson Desert Colours

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545954

Follow Up By: Member - There Yet - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:48

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:48
Hi Bega Boy,

Have to agree with Stephen. Before you try anything talk to the insurance company. Relo's of ours had a similar problem and are now getting a new roof and repairs.

Cheers and good luck.

Kerry
FollowupID: 833631

Follow Up By: Bega Boy - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 20:31

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 20:31
No insurance im affraid , caravan has been stored for a few years out of rego and no use as we now live on a property similar to where we used to camp ..... so far looks about 4 k to fix
FollowupID: 833665

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 21:17

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 21:17
That is a real bugger Bega boy. When you get it repaired and store it out, make sure you put a tarp over it to stop it from happening ever again.

All the best.

Cheers

Stephen
Simpson Desert Colours

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 833670

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:08

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:08
Before you give up;

- try a weak solution of bleach and water, wiped on and off with a sponge so no drips.
- the ceiling will need to be an insurance job or a replacement. I've seen a replacement job and it was good. Not as much involved as you would anticipate. But you could live with it for a while if its comes clean.
- waterproof solution is available. See your local canvas repairer in the first instance. Even ask his/her opinion as most people end up there anyway for an answer.
- soak your bedding in a weak solution etc etc. Won't hurt it.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545958

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 13:00

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 13:00
Bleach is an excellent mould remover - but it's highly destructive to organic fabrics and will seriously weaken their fibres.
I personally wouldn't be using it on canvas or any material containing organic (plant-based) fibres.

I'd have to agree with the above posters who indicate that replacement of the affected items, is going to be the only satisfactory answer.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 833635

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 18:59

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 18:59
Seriously as above, try your insurance cover.

Next I would replace the canvas, replace the roof lining and you may even need to repair
the roof as a lot of it is wood.

I would also check the floor area behind the walls near the roof lifter as water may have traveled down the lifter mech and behind the wall panels.

I wouldn't even bother trying to clean up what's there as your unlikely to be happy with the results.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545984

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 19:07

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 19:07
I was in the same boat last wet. Same mould damage to my Jayco. I treated with all the advice above and some. While the problem is not getting worse, we are stuck with the black stains. The real impact is resale value - which is not important to us.
This wet we have it under cover from Nov - May (we pulled it out too early last wet - that's when it got damp).We also top it up with Damp Rid every couple of weeks.

Paint the ceiling, throw out the curtains and bleach the canvas bed end canvas ceiling (use a bed end awning from now on for rain protection)

You've got a shocker of a week to sort it out. Providing this low doesn't spin-up into something blowy, you might be better off leaving it set up with a pedestal fan in it creating some air flow to reduce any further mould growth while you wait for dry conditions.

Good luck.

AnswerID: 545985

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 19:57

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 19:57
Hi Bega boy- serious damage!. one of the risks with long term storage (? without cover).
as others suggest... clean with dilution of any bleach solution, avoid the coloured curtain and pelmet edge. canvas needs different treatment as you say. Ask the marine and motor trimmers on this one. ( Canvas in Yellow pages directory) you can get waterproofing paint on/spray easy enough from most camping/outdoor stores.
also about 50% dilution of cleaning vinegar may work to clean - I am told the vinegar feeds the mould like crazy until they implode! great in fridges. could try 'nappy san' soak.
repanel roof area if treatment no good. try cleaning curtains in gentle wash with a squirt of bleach, if no good- simply replace. hopefully pelmet strip removable for same treatment. for foam bed , best may be a new double- about $60 at Clarks rubber or any bed store.
all cheap enough . PS find the leak!
MG
AnswerID: 546042

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2015 at 22:38

Thursday, Feb 19, 2015 at 22:38
Had a similar problem with an old van same style a few years back.

Found a "normal" bleach was just not strong enough.

Ended up making up a solution with pool chlorine and water. Make sure after you've left it on for a short while 5 ~ 10 minutes that you rinse it of thoroughly.

If it doesn't all come off first up, repeat and use a broom to lightly scrub it. It should come off.

It did in our case anyway.

Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 833960

Reply By: Ann H3 - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 00:45

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 00:45
I can't be sure it will remove any stains, but Caneston "Hygiene" Laundrey Liquid is the only thing I found that removed all the smoke spores from my mothers quilt I made her that I obtained back when she passed. I've used this on animal urine spots on the carpet and soaked right in until it gets the underfelt "that's why the smells usually hang around because it's in the underfelt . It completely removes the thing that causes smell and what grows, is a pleasant smell but like bleach, use it in an open are. I also disenfect things with it as well. I'd tried bleach, vinigar, cloves, nil odour, the sun, fabreeze, etc etc and this was the only thing that took the smoke and all the other smells out yet it is grentle to the fabric.
AnswerID: 546223

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 08:16

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 08:16
Bleach doesn't kill mould spores, it just "bleaches" them!
You need to use an 80% solution of white vinegar & water.

AnswerID: 546235

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)