Undecided , trading in patrol .......

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 09:32
ThreadID: 111120 Views:3118 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
greetings all , my trusty work horse , my mighty nissan patrol 4.2 tdi is getting a little long in the tooth , has just ticked over 400 000 km , been a damn good 4 bie and has not cost me a cent in repairs as yet , turn key and it starts... Drives about 30 km of dirt roads a day ....... But with that said its does cost a bit of coin to run , diesel In this down is about 1.40 pl average , and the nissan drinks a lot , especially when we tow ..... Now before the car does start to cost money I'm wanting to trade it in. Kids are all almost old enough to drive so no longer need the 7 seats

With all that said I have been looking at a few replacements , one the one I liked most was the dmax dual cab manual . Has anyone here gone from a patrol to a dmax ? Anyone hated there dmax and if so for what reason ? I'm looking to buy new ( 2014 run out ) Thoughts or advise ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:48

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:48
Funny you should post this, we were discussing the same here this morning, My 4.2tdi 2003 has 380,000ks, original clutch! The only thing that has failed is the alternator. It will be interesting the comments on the most suitable vehicle! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 545955

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:09

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:09
G`day Mate,

The only one better than what you have would be a 60 series T/D L/cruiser. LOL ((:>)

Just MHO.

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 545959

Reply By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:27

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:27
A lot of the decision process needs to be based around what you need to use the "new" vehicle for.

If you still need a full-size 4by (for towing a large trailer/van etc), then I'd be suggesting a cruiser.

I went from a 2000 Patrol 4.2TD to a 2000 Patrol + 6.5 Chev V8 diesel (not the same Patrol), then upgraded to a 2003 100 series Landcruiser 4.2TDi.

The difference in performance between the Patrols and the cruiser had to be seen to be believed. Note: the 6.5 V8 Chev motor was naturally aspirated and had about the same torque as the Landcruiser (ie: more than the 4.2TD Patrol), but the power of the Chev was VERY VERY disappointing, especially when towing. I now believe that adding a turbo would have corrected most of that deficiency, but still that was how I saw/felt it through the driver's seat.

Now if, on the other hand, your days of long distance touring, towing heavy/ish loads are behind you, then by all means I would consider a d-max or any one of the myriad of similar dual cabs.

However, as much as I like the dual cab concept (the Patrol + Chev was a dual cab), I really can't get comfortable with the idea that ANY of those Japanese dual cabs (the Landcruiser 70 series double cab being the one exception) being up to the task of long distance, heavy hauling.

Yes, I know I'm just a silly old phart who is way too set in his ways and that there are hundreds (nay, probably thousands) of satisfied D-Max, Hi-lux, Navara, Triton, Ssanyo, etc owners out there who swear by their common rail whizz-bang shopping trollies......but I could never be one of them.

I love the concept of the dual cab so much that I DID buy one....but it is slightly larger and with more than double the engine capacity and torque of those dual cabs I listed above....

If you have the coin and need to tow a decent load, have a gander at one like mine;-)

[img]
[/img]
AnswerID: 545961

Follow Up By: Bega Boy - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 20:42

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 20:42
Thanks for the reply, i had considered the V8 landcruiser , but for 80k for a decent second hand one in twin turbo v8 is a little over our budget , considering i could add another 100 acc to our property for the same $$ , we are also downsizing our boat , which is about 2.5 tone on the roadand sticking with out skiboat thats about 1200 kg - as far as long distance towing -- occasionally a run to sydney ( 500 Km ) happens but not often and most times we tow boats / horse float / trailers within 100 km of us.

would hate to say it , but the landcrusher has never had that " sexy " look about it , i know its more than capable just does not have any appeal internally or externally ....

FollowupID: 833666

Reply By: Bigfish - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:45

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:45
Have you had a look at a Pajero. 147kw of power. Comfortable, 7 seats but just remove the 3rd row. Very economical. 3.2 litre diesel. One of the most reliable vehicles around at the moment...read customer reviews on Google... Good to tow to 3 tonne. I,m getting on average 11-12 klms per litre on highway and 9lts around town. I have always had landcruisers and can say that this car is a welcome relief!! Nimble, frugal comfortable, more features, and at around $53,000 a good buy. Easier to drive and as I said great when driving in traffic. Hasn't got that truck feel to it either. You do sit up higher than a passenger car and are still aware that it is a 4wd. . Off roading it is more than capable of keeping up to the Toyotas and patrols. Hold their resale value ok too.

Anyway, just another option.
AnswerID: 545963

Reply By: D-MaxerWA - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 21:09

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 21:09
OK, I am biased, but with 20k now on the clock, the D-Max just keeps getting better and more fuel efficient. We are averaging 12.7 kms per litre, but it is the more fuel efficient auto. From what you say you want it for, go get one.

Mind you, go test drive them all, we did
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545997

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 22:13

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 22:13
G'day Bega Boy,

Although not directly answering your question, my experiences may help you make a decision.

I have had two GU's, over 15 years time frame. The first was retired to a badly cracked chassis; the second because of unreliability in the form of engine management issues.

I thought long & hard about a replacement.

Ended up with a Mazda BT 50. Strong chassis (much better than dual cabs of any make which precede it, IMHO), great engine, close to twice the payload of a wagon (irrespective of brand). Fully loaded at 3.1 t, with a canopy roof-full of 7 swags (they catch the wind) & towing a 1.5 t trailer, I get 17 litres/100 km. Tad better than the Patrol towing the same at 25 L/100. Reckon I'd save about $4,000 on fuel costs per annum. Probably close to that in reality. Easier to drive with more smart features like downhill braking assist, great sound system and more comfortable over the big drives - e.g. >1,000 km in a day.

Am I happy?
Yes.
Would I buy another BT 50?
Yes - or its Ford Ranger twin.

Would a DMax do a similar job? - probably, and no reason to say it won't. However I can't comment about its chassis strength.

PS - A mate of mine, a well known 4WD operator and workshop owner, has always been a 'Yota man. Now he also drives a BT 50.........

No swags on 4WD but some on trailer. Photo in Buffalo River valley, Vic

Cheers
AnswerID: 546004

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 22:17

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 22:17
PS

I drive with a friend who has a current dual cab 70 series Toyota over the same rough terrain I do. At $ 25 K more, significantly harder to drive and not as comfy, it's a no brainer for me.

But I do respect each person's ability to make their own choice
FollowupID: 833676

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:48

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:48
Rick,

Interested in your "significantly harder to drive" comment. Is that just a manual vs automatic preference or is there something else ?

Regards
FollowupID: 833688

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:02

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:02
Gramps,

It's principally because of:
* seating posture & position;
* tyres & rims at standard spec;
* lack of 6th gear means ya have to mildy flog it to drive at 110kph on the long highway drives to the Outback;
* seems ya have to concentrate harder than with the Mazda. Not that I am entering into a discussion about speed, concentration, touring, h'ways or the like
* ya have to drive every inch of the way Vs sit back and gently steer - and yes, automatic is part of the reason why my BT 50 is easier to drive.

Cheers
FollowupID: 833690

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 06:55

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 06:55
G'day Bega Boy

What Rick said x 2

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 546009

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 15:18

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 15:18
Bega Boy

I sold my 2000 4.2 Patrol 2 years ago and bought a twin cab. I went through 6 months of research including driving almost every dual cab on the market before I made my final decision. I chose and auto Amarok. Extremely comfortable and very economical. I have done 48,000 kms without any real problems. Had one minor electrical problem which was repaired under warranty. It is a pleasure to drive.

I know Dmax owners and they are very happy with them and it is a good vehicle. After driving both the Dmax was nowhere near as nice to drive.

My daughter and son-in-law have a BT50 and love it. Very good vehicle. In my research it came down to a BT50 or the Amarok and I chose the Rok. There is very little between them.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

AnswerID: 546023

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 15:24

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 15:24
Bega Boy.

I forgot to mention the economy. Around town I get under 9ltrs/100 kms.
On a trip - Cape York and Savannah Way - towing a 1.5 t tare weight camper trailer I averages 12.09 ltrs/100 kms.
Driving on open road not towing at 110km/h 9.6 ltr/km. at 130km/h 10.5 ltr/100 km.
The service intervals are 15,000 kms and the service cost is about $400.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

FollowupID: 833705

Reply By: Isuzumu - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 16:35

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 16:35
We have now done 72K in our 2012 D.Max (latest model) and not one problem. The chassis is as good as any of the others, but the reliability is the best around, sales figures December was Hi Lux Ranger than the D.Max. We did the GRR in 2013, plus the Gulf and are off to the GRR again this year towing the Jayco. I have changed the suspension at 5K to a Sax and the ride is unreal.
AnswerID: 546025

Reply By: Trevor&Verna - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 18:22

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 18:22
I have spent $4K on my Hilux with new injectors and extra fuel filtration. Now at 130kkms.
Nice comfortable ute (that pleases the wife!), but disappointed with the spend on the D4D motor as many Hilux/Prado owners are.
Trevor&Verna, Kal WA

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 546036

Follow Up By: Rob J8 - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 22:25

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 22:25
We owned a 2008 D4D Prado, loved it, had injectors replaced under warranty at 80,000.
we decided to buy a new caravan and it came in heavier than the Prado was warranted to tow, so, traded on a 2012 Ford Ranger.
Couldn't be happier.
Like everyone, we don't know what k's it will do but at 65,000 and most of that towing 2.6 tonnes no problems so far.
If I had the dough though, I would go for something like Roachie but in the Ford range.
Hope I can post a positive in another 65,000 k's
regards
Rob J

FollowupID: 833738

Reply By: TonyG - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:31

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:31
Hi Bega Boy,

I changed over from 3.0ltr Gu Patrol to Spacecab DMax in late 2012.

I went for the Spacecab as I do not need the car to cart kids around, they have all grown up. This also meant I has no back seat, but we use my wifes car when needing more than 2 seats.

I have been extremely happy with the change over to the Dmax, some of my feedback is:

1 - Patrol fuel usage highway driving approx 12ltr/100km, DMaz is 8.0ltr/100.
2 - Patrol fuel usage towing 1.1t camper driving approx 19ltr/100km, DMaz is 12.0ltr/100.
3 - I save approx $80-$100 per week on fuel alone.
4 - Patrol had a more upright driving seat position which I preferred, but DMax seat are more comfortable for long drives. I recently drove 1600km from Brisbane to Broken in 2 days and felt really good.
5 - I have installed a canopy, so I have plenty of rear storage. If I had my time again I would consider not have a styleside ute rear, but buy a cab chasis and install an aluminiumcanopy with solid roof, to take storage or rooftop tent.
6 - A/C on the Dmax is much better than Patrol
7 - I installed a 2 inch lift kit (with additional spacers to the tailshaft centre mount) and it improved the ride and stability to a really firm vehicle....highly recommend.

I have always had utes prior to Patrols. I like driving them. The biggest issue to accept is the fact that there is a physical separation between driving capsule and storage area....you can only access from outside the drivers capsule. I think this is a good thing.

I have now done 55,000km in the Dmax and I am extremely happy with the decision I made to purchase the vehicle. The engine is a tried and tested long lasting performer, so I will get 400,000km hassle free.

I like a vehicle that sounds like a workhorse, feels like a workhorse, drives like a workhorse and I can treat like a workhorse, so the DMax suits my needs.

I would recommend the DMax as your next car.

All the best

Tony

AnswerID: 546068

Sponsored Links