ute tub seals - bonanza

Submitted: Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 08:46
ThreadID: 111179 Views:5152 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
over the past 3 years I have been trying many different rubber profiles to try and reduce the dust and water from entering the rear tub with little or no success. I have searched every forum possible to see what others have done, as no car company had a seal kit in their inventory. Trolling in net last night, and low and behold, a tub kit seal. On investigating the article I found out that Brown Davis products in Bayswater Vic now produce a rear tub seal kit for most utes at a cost of $69. Obviously someone has been listening to the plight of ute owners and their attempts. I've spent countless of dollars experimenting, so guess whom I'm going to contact to find out more. This thread is mainly for ute owners who are in the same predicament as myself. It will be interesting if someone else has come across this company and used their seal kit already. I'm led to believe that these kits are only new on the market by Brown Davis company. I know they make other 4x4 products, but have never seen these kits advertised. Interesting indeed
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 10:18

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 10:18
Garry

I had ARB fit a vent in my canopy. That has pressurised the rear and I now get minimal dust. Have you thought of that option.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

AnswerID: 546248

Follow Up By: GarryR - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 10:44

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 10:44
Yes. I have an ARB roof canopy with a forward facing vent that I keep open to allow air flow through to the rear of the tub. Because I have a draw system install in the tub, it seems to create a vaccum at the bottom of the tailgate allowing dust to get sucked in. To minimise that dust, I place a damp towel across the tailgate, but I was looking at a more permanent fixture. Some rubber profiles that I tried are the wrong shape or are to high a density to compress without putting strain onto points. When I saw that Brown Davis put together a kit for various utes, the problem could be answered. I'm sure they would have done their homework before selling a product. The other thing is they would have access to better rubber profiles than the average person off the street. I tried a manufacturing company once but could only buy large rolls or through one of their suppliers. (they where no interested in selling only a couple of metres)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833986

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:21

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:21
Garry

Thanks for that information. Would be interested in hearing how effective the kits is. You won't know until you have driven on a dirt road.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

FollowupID: 833993

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 13:17

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 13:17
When I was a young bloke our ute tailgates were fitted with rubber seals as standard, have we progressed?
FollowupID: 833998

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 14:24

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 14:24
Garry,

If the product from Brown Davis does the job for you, game over.

If after having a look it leaves you a little underwhelmed so to speak try this mob.

link

Click on "products" then "rubber" then "door seals"

They supply everything to the motor body building industry. Amazing the stuff these guys carry, including heaps of sealing rubber profiles.

No affiliation etc etc

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 546263

Follow Up By: GarryR - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:14

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:14
thanks pop2 - have checked out their website and their rubber extrusions. I also spoke to my son in law, and he works only the next block away in Dandy sth, I will get him to check it out for me, and to whether they sell short lengths. The mind boggles when you start asking questions, as well as the knowledge that some have to what is available. I did try Ambassador rubber in Hallam Vic but they were unhelpfull. They only supply to outlets or big industry. Now i know where to buy new locks for all the boxes on the work vechiles and get them with all the same key.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834000

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 18:26

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 18:26
Garry R

I wonder if they do a seal for the back doors on my troopie.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 546273

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Feb 23, 2015 at 15:38

Monday, Feb 23, 2015 at 15:38
gidday Mark - after looking and emailing ues international who stock many more rubber profiles ( and cost and arm and a leg because you have to buy min 5mts) they suggested I go to Rare spares as they sell to them. Went to rare spares today and the chap was really helpful with numerous profiles and cut off 100mm lengths for me to try at no cost. He suggested trying 2 profiles that he has tried successfully on other vechiles. He is also a motor trimmer out the back and spare parts is a side line for him. The 2 profiles worked out perfectly, and the tailgate shuts without too much force. it will bed in after a couple of times closing without stressing the hinges. Rare spares carry mainly automotive mouldings in big rolls so you should find something for the troopy. It cost me only $19- to finally fix or alleviate most of my problem. I spent more than double that playing around with Clark Rubber profiles with no real success - hope this helps garry r

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834167

Reply By: lizard - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 19:33

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 19:33
Apparently this blokes kits are good - he supplies kits for all vehicle tubs
http://www.autorubbers.com.au/products.htm
AnswerID: 546276

Follow Up By: BARRY F2 - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 20:51

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 20:51
Excellent Sevice At Auto Rubbers Mine Works Well With Our New Bt50 As We Live On A Dirt Road But You Need To Put Extra Rubber On The Bottom Corners To Seal The Gap On The Tail Gate
FollowupID: 834010

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 20:36

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 20:36
seals,you could try a mob in canterbury rd,could be kilysh/bayswater,cant remember their new name,but type in purple pig,that should do it bye barry
AnswerID: 546279

Follow Up By: GarryR - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 08:01

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 08:01
yep - thanks for a name from the past. The company I worked for many moons ago was a big client of purple pig. yes I do recall seeing them on Canterbury rd near dorset rd bayswater. From memory they mainly dealt and repaired conveyor belts and well as a few minor extrusions, but that was in the 80's

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834020

Follow Up By: Member - lancie49 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:50

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:50
Purple Pig moved from Mountain Highway in Bayswater quite a while ago and are now trading as
Powell Industrial
Unit 3, 120 Canterbury Road
South Kilsyth, 3137

Between Dorset & Burgess Rd, just past Jayco.

They're green now, not purple.
FollowupID: 834024

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:12

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:12
Hello Garry,
I have the Brown Davis kit fitted to my Amarok with the VW canopy.

Easy enough to fit and mostly cut to size.

The instructions leave a lot to be desired.

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 546375

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 13:40

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 13:40
G'day Garry, if you've got a canopy with a sliding side window just open it one notch.
That's all I do and get virtually no ingress of dust at all. Some water gets in when I wash it or it rains if I forget to close it but that's no big deal.
Cheers, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546488

Sponsored Links