Emu to Surveyors General Corner via Mount Davies Road and Kintore Ave

Submitted: Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 13:47
ThreadID: 111180 Views:2689 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip in the Great Victoria Desert and would like to include Mt Davies Rd and possibly Kintore Ave.

I see on some very old posts that permission from the APY community is difficult to get.

Has anyone done these roads lately and if so how do you get permission and what are the road conditions like?

Also I read that the Anne Beadell Highway is pretty rough east of Emu. Is that right?

Any info would be welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 14:04

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 14:04
Hi Boobook

Firstly the Anne Beadell is at its worst from Emu though to Mabel Creek, to the point that you can be down to only 20kph and to stop your teeth falling out. For that very reason, we never ever go that way any more.

There are a number of ways to avoid this and one far better option is to go to Marlinga and see the range and get permission from Robin to do the Emu Road ( Marilinga to Emu ) which is a great drive and far better on you and your vehicle.

As far as the Mount Davies Rosd, you may have a better chance of winning the lottery then getting a permit from the APY council.

I known it was driven a few years ago, but very overgrown and in many places, no track at all.

All the best with your trip planning.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546261

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 14:37

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 14:37
Well the good news is that I was hoping you would see the thread Stephen, the bad news is you confirmed my fears.

We are definitely going to Visit Robin again and will go to Emu this time. I was looking to add some travels further to the north and west and the Mt Davies Rd looks good on paper as a short cut.

I am looking to be in that area for about 2 weeks and would more than welcome your suggestions. I would like to take in the Blackstone ranges and Surveyor Generals Corner.

I guess the permit problem also applies to the Giles Mulga Park rd east of the border. Do you know if that is right?
FollowupID: 833999

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:29

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:29
I had actually looked at doing the same, so will be of interest to see how it goes.

I can't get enough of that area!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 834003

Follow Up By: Peter R( Dubbo) - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 20:45

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 20:45
we did do the Mt Davies August 2000 80 series landcruiser 2.8 patrol and 4.2 patrol and travelled with a group from Watarru to guide us through their lands. we where trying to locate the 400 mile unfortunately we were not able to find either the peg or the astro station and concluded they may have been destroyed in fires.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 834009

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 22:54

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 22:54
Hi again Boobook

For some reason, the APY council are not happy to see tourists travel through their great lands and as such do not issue travel permits. Having said that, you find a couple of commercial tour operators that now do limited tag alongs through certain areas, but strictly governed where you go.

If on the other hand you know someone up there, then you have a very good chance of getting your permit approved, but not as a tourist.

A good number of years when we went through there, I got to know some aboriginals from up that way. After speaking about their great lands, they invited me to see through their home lands and my permit was approved as a "Family Visit".

Another way is to see if you can visit their many art centres. When you get to speak first hand with many of the traditional owners, there are more than happy to let you visit their country, but the so call white people in charge have a different point of view.

Keep trying, and you never know, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 834015

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:21

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:21
Hi Boobook2,

as Peter R from Dubbo said he did it a few years ago and I have made some enquiries as we have talked about this track many time (that is Peter and myself ) One thing that needs to be understood is it is a MALE only place NO women allowed. You will need to respect their land and if you get the OK you will need a guide Good Luck.
DBN05
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546306

Sponsored Links