Lost fuel cap

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 12:10
ThreadID: 111195 Views:2520 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Lost diesel locking fuel cap for 2010 Colorado on the plenty highway NT side. If anybody has been around that area.

As always stealer dealers want my arm & leg for it. Any ideas for replacement ?

Also ignition key does not work on unlocking both passenger or drivers side doors but im positive it use to. Have tried silicon spray but to no avail, fingers crossed my remote doesn't go flat any time soon.

Thoughts appreciated,
Cheeers Scotty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 14:27

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 14:27
Scott

Try a little graphite powder on your locks , don't put in to much .

Silicon spay attracts dust .

Good luck with your fix.

Cheers
AnswerID: 546331

Reply By: Joe Fury - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 14:30

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 14:30
G'day Scotty

I can't give you any hints or advice on the Colorado, but hopefully you will take on board some advice on locks and especially vehicle door/ignition locks.

Possibly one of the worst or is that possibly worse things you could do is use a wet lubricant on this type of mechanism, simply because it does not evaporate and it always leaves an oil based film that attracts dust and very effectively binds the locking pins up.

When and if you can, use a good quality electrical component contact cleaner, brake or carburetor cleaner to clean the Silicone lubricant out of the lock(s) and then use Graphite powder as an anti seize/lubricant, but dip the key into powder and then insert it into the lock ~ do not try and fill or apply the Graphite directly into the lock barrel.

It is messy stuff to use but absolutely the best for the situation you describe.

Safe travels : Joe Fury
AnswerID: 546332

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:31

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:31
Joe,

Not sure about your caution about silicone.

A locksmith friend told me that graphite was the old way and silicone was best to use.

I believe that the reason is that silicone DOES dry and leaves a super slippery surface. Being dry means no dust collection.

Paul
FollowupID: 834093

Follow Up By: scottwittkopp - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 14:06

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 14:06
Paul your on the money. Wd40 and inox would be another story. But as a mate (carpenter) said to me silicone spray for locks canopy etc is the way to go. Have had not dust collection from the time I've been using it anyway.
FollowupID: 834111

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 14:41

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 14:41
Scott

Stick with the proven Graphite.
Its works and Silicon spay is just hearsay .

Cheers
FollowupID: 834113

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 14:53

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 14:53
Nothing wrong with Siicone spray.
It is recommended for the tracks of roller garage doors You spray the track then gently wipe off the excess.

The manufacturers of an item made in the thousands must have some idea of the advantage of using it.
Despite what constant knockers post without anything to back the statement up.

Graphite is good for locks but silicone works as well.
On an outside lock which gets rough with rain in it I use the silicone For inside I use graphite.
In a village with about 1000 locks of various types we have got a fair idea of whats best.

Yes 1000. over 100 units with several door and all windows lockable.
FollowupID: 834114

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 17:47

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 17:47
TomH

I am not knocking silicon spray . For it intended purpose it is fantastic as is Inox and WD 40 for their intended purposes.
Graphite is great on locks as it doesn't get sticky and will not attract foreign matter .
just backing up my previous statement and giving Scott some useful Info this time.

Cheers
FollowupID: 834123

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 15:09

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 15:09
Most Auto accessory shops sell locking fuel caps Just try before you pay.

Maybe it says what it will fit on the packet
AnswerID: 546333

Follow Up By: scottwittkopp - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 15:14

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 15:14
Yeah Tom I've been gettin by with a universal one from supercheap at the mo, just don't trust seal. Think they have sales on store wide today might be worth poppin in to see if locking one will fit.
FollowupID: 834061

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 22:19

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 22:19
We (or he) lost the fuel cap for the auxiliary tank on the Landcruiser last year. It had probably been off for weeks but only discovered when I was out of the car and I noticed fuel spilling as he drove on a slope. Thinking he must have left if at the fuel outlet when refuelling both tanks, I asked there. Yes, they had found on a few weeks prior which matched the time frame when he refuelled. It fitted, and I asked him to try it with the key. He didn't try it.

Some time later by chance I found one on the roadside where I had walked regularly. That too fitted, and this one worked with our key. So the other one went back.

You could ask at your local servo in case they have fund one that fits your vehicle. You might be lucky as we were.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 546356

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 22:21

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 22:21
Oops, "in case they have FOUND one".
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 834080

Follow Up By: scottwittkopp - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 22:32

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 22:32
Haha "he"
Good thinking Motherhen.

Was heading to Alice for the Finke Desert Race and left it on top of toolbox only realised at the campground in Alice.

Supercheap sorted me out today with a Tridon TFL207 that suits model 17 buks with the membership discount ??

But there's always a but, the first one I went out and tried locked on when pushed in wouldnt disengage on one edge had to rip it off. May have been a dud but the second one (last one left) worked took on and off 5 times without a hassle. So see how she goes
FollowupID: 834081

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 00:23

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 00:23
Always attach a cable to caps if they don't have one from the factory.
Caps are lost by the hundreds every day, ask any servo.

If your style of luck, is like my style of luck - and you're lucky enough to find anything lost on the road - it will have already been run over by a road train!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 546363

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:30

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:30
Scotty,

I have a 2009 Colorado which is the same model as yours.

Using the ignition key in the drivers side front door should lock/unlock all doors. It works the same as locking/unlocking via remote.

Using the key in the passengers side front door however, will only unlock that one door.

As far as the fuel cap, go out and buy a new one.
Don't know how you could have lost it though as they are attached by a fairly robust plastic cable attachment.
At least, the one on my LT/R model is.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546377

Follow Up By: scottwittkopp - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:48

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:48
Hi bill
Unfortunately the key won't even go all th way in on drivers side or passenger side doors. Rear doors don't have key locking.

I have a basic model LX Colorado, not the same and no cable for fuel caps. Must of been too expensive or too much work for em ;)

Don't feel like giving Holden my bank account for replacement as they wanted in Alice springs, nor the $500 they wanted for centre console lid + hinges + $3.50 for screws. As it didn't come with one of those either.

Have heard that the Great Wall interior is identical and there console lid fits as someone has gone down that road. Cost $250 from GW

The plumber who I bought it off a while back put on as extras electric windows, tinted windows, and remote locking. No cruise control. Got it off him for 28,500 with 38 thou on clock. Had a strange knocking noise to engine hadn't owned a diesel before though it was normal. Took to mechanic back in Bundy showed him they found (excuse my mechanics) bolt nearly all the way off the rocker head had come loose if that spurns right. Could have blown the whole engine. All services before had been done by previous owner at Holden golden beach Caloundra. Need I say any more
FollowupID: 834099

Follow Up By: scottwittkopp - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:53

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:53
Woops Yes no locking on rear doors on any model. But yes it use to do the same as yours Bill which was handy when the remote played up. Touchwood it hasn't yet
FollowupID: 834100

Reply By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:50

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:50
Scotty,
My locking fuel cap won't allow me to take the key out of it until it's put back in the locking position. This way I can't forget to replace the cap (car keys still on the cap) or I drive off with a rather large key ring that smells a lot like ULP.

Get in the habit of leaving your keys in the cap while refuelling and you'll never drive off without your cap on.

Fab.
AnswerID: 546378

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 18:38

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 18:38
What about those of us who dont wear caps LOL
FollowupID: 834125

Sponsored Links