6 week itinery help

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 16:46
ThreadID: 111230 Views:1799 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Need some help planning october trip from people who have been through SA/NT.
I have 6 weeks oct/nov. Im thinking to go melbourne upto kakadu and see sights in between, ie flinders, uluru, kings, etc then cut across savanah way to port douglas and work our way back to melbourne along the coast.
Ive gone to port a few times but this time i will have a 3 yr old and 8 month old on board so 12-14 hour days are out of the question. So my question is would it be worth the sights to see the places mentioned above and spend less time at each and less time on the coast, or just do our typical slow relaxed coastal holiday (fnq, whitsundays, byfield, fraser, noosa and a few other national parks) and save central oz for another time? And is oct pushing it on the temperature side of things thru SA/NT?
Sorry about long post. Geez.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Odog - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 18:12

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 18:12
Hey shmick,
Wife n I did 8 week trip, to perth n back with detours, 10500km... Felt a bit rushed, would have loved more time, but not our choice.
We did a few big days behind the wheel, just to get the kms behind us, which in turn ment more time for site seeing, at the places we wanted to... and made it possible to be able to stay extra days, where we liked to.
Think it is all a bit of give n take, especially when restricted by a time frame.. Sounds like you have a plan, that's a start.
In regard to weather, best not to travel in to much heat, so won't be full on summer, with young ones on board anyway..
Hope this gives you a bit of help with your planning anyway..
All the best n happy travels. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546502

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 19:57

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 19:57
The first thing is the temperature.... it'll be pretty hot up there at that time of year. We visited Darwin and surrounds in September a few years back and i thought it was hot then, and i work outdoors in Brisbane daily, so a Victorian will feel it more IMHO. We stopped in at lorella springs and caught rhett shutting up shop and packing stuff away for the year, he told us the year previous he'd already closed up a week earlier then that, so not sure how roads will be weather wise at that time of year.
Time frame next...we did 5 weeks out Brisbane to Darwin and back again, that was a pretty rushed trip, so doubt i'd like to chuck another 3200 klms onto the trip getting from Melbourne to Brisbane and back again aswell. You really need to sit down and work out a route of where you want to go, then divide it by the number days you have for your holiday. Once you do that you soon realise how far you need to travel each day to do such a trip, and then chuck rest days into the equation or extra days stopped in one location, and then watch the klms jump even more on the days you actually are driving.
AnswerID: 546508

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 20:16

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 20:16
Too hot, Too wet, Too far in the time.

Far better in April after the wet or you may find you are stuck there till April anyway.

Know of one family that went to Darwin for Xmas and were still there on May 31st. No money, sick of the place and unable to go very far.
AnswerID: 546513

Follow Up By: shmick - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:10

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:10
"Far better in April after the wet or you may find you are stuck there till April anyway."
hahahahaha. hmmm, 6 week holiday turns into 6 month holiday, that's an idea.
FollowupID: 834268

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 20:55

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 20:55
Was in kakadu early oct and I work in the Kimberly.. it will be hot... and humidity rising.
Things can vary but oct/nov is about the hottest time to visit
AnswerID: 546518

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 21:08

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 21:08
Be hot for the littlies at that time of the year, and not too comfortable for you AND your vehicle. Would give anywhere north of Adelaide a miss in SA & NT.

Why not head up through NSW & Qld, just west of Great Divide, Roma, Injune, Emerald, Charters Towers, Ravenshoe (highest town in Qld) and do FNQld, then back down the coast.

By doing this on way North, you are only a few hours drive from the coast at any point, and able to do a dash for the saltwater, and a cooling evening breeze, if you find the heat too unbearable.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546520

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:52

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:52
Forgot to mention above, might not be the same at Byfield, after Marcia's antics there this week.

But no reason not to stop there though, the local businesses will need all the support they can get over the next 12 months or so.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 834273

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 22:04

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 22:04
Hi Shmick,

I really think 6 weeks is not long enough to do Melbourne to Kakadu and back via Qld coast. And as others have said you would be going in the build-up when its hot and humid. Melbourne to Alice Springs and the surrounding area and a side trip into the Flinders would fit reasonably well - but even then you wouldnt see all there is to see. But in Oct/Nov its getting pretty warm - average daytime temps over 30deg and about 20 at night. Check out weather conditions in the Places section.

I think Bob Y's suggestion is a good one - or head west and explore the WA coast west from Cape Arid and see how far you get before its time to go home.This blog here and the next couple might tempt you.

Central and Northern Australia is best enjoyed by us southerners during the winter months.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 546522

Follow Up By: shmick - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:16

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:16
while WA is on the future plans since id love to go broome and Ningaloo (whale sharks mid year) and need more time, how long would you allow for a comfortable drive to perth, while allowing time for some sights along the way? every time I look at the map I go by 10-12 hours each day, is there enough places to stop if I was doing 5-6 hours a day? is driving along the coast an option or more just side trips off the highway?
FollowupID: 834269

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:01

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:01
There is much more to WA than Perth, Broome and Ningaloo. To explore along to south coast it is not necessary to go to Perth. There is a sealed road that runs close to the coast and good gravel roads (sometimes sealed) that go out to lovely camping spots on beautiful beaches that would be great for the kids. If you are serious about seeing Australia you both need to understand what that travel implies and find ways not to become bored so that the travel itself (not just the destination) becomes an adventure. If you are just looking to tick boxes of your preconceived highlights you will end up disappointed.

Our mode of travel is to stop frequently to look at interesting things we come across. With young children you will probably have to stop pretty often too. Enjoyable and rewarding travel should not be about driving times between A and B - its about discovery and exploration and many many new horizons.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834270

Follow Up By: shmick - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 22:47

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 22:47
My wifes thing is that shes a water person. We love stopping at random beaches and staying a while. Driving for example between emerald and charters, well thats a bit tougher. I understand what your saying though and agree, my most memorable memories i often talk about are the journey.I didnt mean all i want to see is perth etc, but until im retired, or loaded, im stuck to doing my checklist, which seems to get longer by the day. Id love to get a camper trailer and just stop everywhere, often just sitting on an un-named desserted beach with the family is the best part of it.
Might need to take the wife out to the vic deserts and maybe she will see the beauty of sitting under a gum tree with nothing and no one in any direction.
FollowupID: 834346

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 23:18

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 23:18
You have pretty well answered your own question with your last paragraph "or just do our typical slow relaxed coastal holiday (fnq, whitsundays, byfield, fraser, noosa and a few other national parks) and save central oz for another time? And is oct pushing it on the temperature side of things thru SA/NT?". With little ones on board, all the more reason not to tour in hot weather.

Head in your chosen direction, sightseeing as you go. At the three weeks point, turn around and chose a different road with more things to see. You might not get far, but you will have enjoyed the holiday, not made it an ideal for all of you, including your little ones.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 546529

Reply By: shmick - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:08

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:08
Thanks all for your feedback. Guess its settled then. Keep it to the coast.
We did inland dubbo, st goerge, roma, charters a couple years ago so I could see carnavon gorge. wife was too bored in between. I think this time ill just plan to stay just off the coast zig zaggging on the way up checking out the parks (wollemi, lamington...) and sights not yet seen (due to our 12 hour days we missed out on a lot)up to port, then come down stopping by some old time favourites.
thanks again all
AnswerID: 546534

Follow Up By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 12:50

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 12:50
Hi Shmick
There's nothing like the anticipation of a trip! We always get excited talk, talk and more talk and then get out a pencil, paper and a map.

Draw up three columns for a start - Day number (1 etc), next Destination and then Mileage for the day. Keep going. Make yourself do this. List each day, one at a time. Obviously, you'll need a map with distances shown.

As you commit to each day's kilometres, think about how realistic the distance is and whether you (and the others) can maintain that pressure day after day.

Add in some "rest days" - which will be the days you spend two or more nights in the one spot.

Once you have "Home" as your destination, you'll see if you're going to be late back to work!

There is nothing like setting out an itinerary to focus the mind on realities. Next step is to modify the plan! You don't have to stick to the plan but it is certainly useful to have one.

Best wishes for a wonderful trip. Megan
FollowupID: 834279

Follow Up By: shmick - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 23:00

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 23:00
Anticipation, tell me about it. Especially the night before, the final touches and trying to fall asleep. I started the plan just this morning (melb-cowra, cowra-denham (3 days for wollemi and hunter valley), denham-armidale, armidale-lamington np (3 days lamington/springbrook). Thats as far as i got. Pen and paper. Cant argue with that.
FollowupID: 834348

Follow Up By: shmick - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 23:09

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 23:09
Denham=denman
FollowupID: 834349

Sponsored Links