MT Wellington access

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 15:38
ThreadID: 111238 Views:2393 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Heading to Tasmania on Saturday and would like to visit Mt Wellington after missing out several times before. I am towing a Tvan and would like to know if I can tow it to the top or need to leave it somewhere below. Any help is appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 15:54

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 15:54
From my experience I would leave the van below, otherwise the wind may blow it off the top for you.
Why would you want to take it up there anyway, assuming you are even allowed to?

Set up camp and on a free day take a drive around the city and include a drive to the top and experience the great view.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546556

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 16:24

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 16:24
Hi skoller,

If you have a Tvan, I'm assuming you have a decent sort of tug. I don't think you'll have any problem towing up to the top.

I'm pretty sure we towed our Kimberley Karavan with the Prado via Mt Wellington on our way from southern parts to further north. I don't recall any issues. Just be aware that it's a long hard slog. Tvan's 1000kg lighter - I don't think you'll have any problems.

You might get blown away, though, as others have said :-) It was windy as.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 546558

Follow Up By: skoller - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 16:50

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 16:50
I don't really want to tow it up there its just easier than finding somewhere to leave it and come back to it as I will be just calling in on the way to other parts. I was wondering if you are actually allowed to tow campers up there.
FollowupID: 834302

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 16:56

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 16:56
That was exactly our situation, skoller.

Mate, if there had been a sign that said campers or trailers prohibited I would not have done it.

If it says "not recommended" then I make my own judgement.

I don't recall any sign, but it was 2010, so things could have changed.

Maybe google for Hobart's tourist info centre and ask them.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834303

Reply By: Kenell - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:52

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 18:52
skoller,
as an expat Taswegian I can speak with some knowledge. Yes you could tug it up there but it is narrow, twisty and obviously a bit steep. It can be windy and even snowing at any time of year. It is worth the drive, it isn't "on the way" to anywhere as it is one road up and down. There is much to see around Hobart so why not find a friendly local and ask if you can offload it for a few hours so you can drive around in comfort and park where you want if you see something you like. The Ferntree Tavern is near the start of the hill - ring them and ask if you could leave it there perhaps.
Kenell
AnswerID: 546570

Follow Up By: skoller - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 19:04

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 19:04
Thanks everyone for your info . What I might do is ,as suggested spend a few days around Hobart and take in the sights. I will find a camping area somewhere, leave the Tvan and travel on day trips.
FollowupID: 834320

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 20:10

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 20:10
Good idea mate....we went to the Salamanca markets( was staying in a van park just outside Hobart ) in the morning ( jeans and tee shirt ), then went up Mt Wellington.......coldest I've ever been...put on a flanno, jumper, overcoat, beanie, gloves and was still freezing....the wind was howling and the chill factor was approx -12 deg..

If you can, pick a sunny day ( I know it might be hard in Tassie ) as the views are terrific !!
FollowupID: 834327

Follow Up By: disco driver - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 20:42

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 20:42
There's one thing not yet mentioned, but it may have been canned since we were there in 2005.
Some enterprising enterpreneur had set up a business driving a ute and trailer loaded with tourists and mountain bikes to the top of the mount.
Tourists got onto bikes at the peak and headed off down hill on the road, quite exhilarating for the tourists but absolutely terrifying for any one trying to drive up to the top with bikes and people using up most if not all, the road on their way down.

Don't know the accident rate but suspect it would have been fairly high.

Disco.
FollowupID: 834334

Follow Up By: rumpig - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 21:32

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 21:32
The bike thing still happens, we were there just before Xmas time and saw them up top of the mountain getting ready to ride down.
FollowupID: 834336

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 01:28

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 01:28
Distances are short in Tasmania; leave your tvan where you are gong to stay. We were staying south of Hobart near Cygnet and did a full day tour at Port Arthur and the Tasman Peninsula, heading up Mount Wellington late in the day, and the low sun lit up the buildings of Hobart and the sails of yachts out on the water. The wind was strong and cold, and overall it was a wonderful experience.

We drove through Hobart a few days earlier with the caravan, and it was so misty that we could hardly see where we were going as we passed Mount Wellington, so that would not have been a suitable day to go. You may need to watch for optimum weather as you tour around from you base in the area.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 546592

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 15:59

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 15:59
We drove up in early January, not towing though. My wife felt physically sick with the assent and decent because of how close we had to drive to the edge at times. We both commented that we wouldn't like to meet a truck or a caravan as passing in places is a bit squeezee. Admittedly your T Van should track no wider than your car. Also if it's a good day the car park at the top may be a bit full so parking with the van may be difficult.

At the bottom of the hill is a small park with toilets that you could more than likely unhitch if you felt comfortable doing so .

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 546623

Reply By: Mogul - Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 16:22

Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 16:22
We towed our 18ft van up there just over 12 months with no problems. Tourist busses go up there everyday without problems.
AnswerID: 546733

Sponsored Links