Jackaroo... are they any good?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 07:28
ThreadID: 11133 Views:3771 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya everyone... a good friend is looking at buying a Jackaroo, I don't know anything about them. Are they a good buy?? He currently owns a Jeep Cherokee Sport, they will mainly tour with a small camper trailer and some easy-medium off roading thrown in occassionally. Thanks in advance for any info people!
Cheers
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony G (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 07:55

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 07:55
Hi Brian,

I have a Jackaroo for sale at present. I am based in Sydney. Photo's of car can be seen at www.detailed.com.au/Jackaroo

Only reason I am selling is the family has got too big and need a bigger car. So I am presently ordering a Nissan Patrol.

I have not done any 4 x 4 driving with the car so I personally can not comment on that performance side of the vehicle. Mine is a petrol V6 5 speed manual.

I have recently joined the Jackaroo 4 x 4 club in Sydney (using my Nissan Navara 4 x 4), and the other members of the club swear by the Jackaroo's as good reliable off road vehicles. I doubt that they would be any good for serious off road stuff unless suspension upgrades were done (Only my opinion)

As a on road vehicle I can say very good on fuel economy, not had any maintenance issues, just regular servicing every 10,000kms.

If you have any specific questions relating to the car, please post them, and I can answer in detail

Thanks

Tony G
AnswerID: 49739

Follow Up By: Member - Nobby - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:05

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:05
Iv'e got the V6, 3.5l Auto and to date am very happy. We go on the beach a fair bit and have never been let down or bogged(correct tyre pressure is the secret). I get it serviced at a 4WD shop, and not a Holden Dealer and they are quite reasonable. You will they are probably the best value for money truck around. Just my opinion.
FollowupID: 311541

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:07

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:07
Why get rid of the Jeep to get a Jackaroo ?

Updating ??? Other then that the Jeep would be equally as capable and possibly more then a Jackaroo.

By the way, nothing really wrong with Jacks. Decent vehicles. Jacks, Pajeros, Prado's or Chero's , nothing much between them, just personal preference really.
AnswerID: 49745

Reply By: Willykj - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:29

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:29
Hi Brian,

I've got a Jackaroo - since new - 1999 model - V6 Auto.

No problems at all - do some off road work & it has never let me down.

Willy
AnswerID: 49754

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:08

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:08
try getting parts for one at a wrecker, you can hardly find one as they are all still going strong !! Great vehicle, only let down by a total lack of support and information from holden. Plenty of aftermarket knowledge though. Vic high country cops love theirs, standard suspension with all the extras as well, bar winch goodies in back etc.. They will never be a 'rock monster', but you will love them too much to punish them like that anyway.. Last time we went away i was fully loaded with a 7x5 trailer behind, 3 dirt bikes, jerries and all sorts of gear as well, and all i remember was flying past a couple of cruisers and patrols (no trailers) up the hills past healsville, she never raised a sweat. (never does!) . Great value for money as well.
AnswerID: 49758

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:42

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:42
Brian I owned a 92 V6 3.2 model for 5 years prior to buying my patrol.When I traded it in on the Patrol it had covered over 165,000 kls.
We drove the Jackeroo over the roughest tracks in the Kimberley towing a camper trailer. Also many trips over East ie Warburton Rd to Giles and the Rock etc.
It never let me down and nothing ever fell of it!! It was stock standard.
The only reason I went to a Patrol was the Nissan came standard with 2 fuel tanks and the Jackeroo didn't.
I highly recommend the Jackeroo.
AnswerID: 49776

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 16:38

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 16:38
Brian - REFER POST 11060

It relates more to Turbo diesels than petrol, but there will be some useful info there including some power/torque stats I have researched.

Consider a Turbo Diesel - extra fuel economy, torque, tougher longer lasting engine, maintenance.

Once becoming a T/diesel driver 6 years ago with my MQ PAtro, I have never looked back.

For your info the Cherokee six gives 136 KW of power (compared to a TD Jack's 119) but only 290 nM of torque compared to the TD JAck's whopping 333, which is a huge improvement if 4wding or towing.

Hope this helps.

D-JACK
AnswerID: 49802

Reply By: dogart - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 20:27

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 20:27
love'em
'94 Monterey Auto
((-:
wolf
AnswerID: 49835

Reply By: Terryfied - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:06

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:06
Brian, I also own a jack, give it a fairly hard time both on sand and in the bush and have no complaints.I believe they are under rated and built strong and reliable.
Just remember there is no perfect 4wd,and if you want a capable 4wd then the jackaroo is a good vehicle to buy.

Terry
AnswerID: 49875

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:38

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:38
Hi Brian,

I am in the SA Country Fire Service. I don't know why, but many of the 4WD Group and Region cars are either Jackaroos or Cruisers. I was at a fire at Mt Barker last week and the staging area looked like a Jackaroo club meet. It could have been a politically driven Fleet decision but from the chats I have had the drivers of these things they seem pretty happy. I talked to a few CFS users when considering the Prado purchase.

StevenL
AnswerID: 49878

Sponsored Links