Bourke - what's wrong with it?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:04
ThreadID: 11221 Views:2594 Replies:18 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Have been reading some previous posts about Bourke and caravan parks. Not sure what the message is..... people seem to be saying DON'T GO THERE!!!! What is the problem? We are planning on leaving Wollongong and heading towards Cameron Corner in August, Bourke seems like a logical stop over... should we try elsewhere?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:19

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:19
Lynn2

Hi
No personal experience but heard plenty of horror stories. Basicly check your insurance papers because the chances of making a claim are pretty high.
Travelled through Wilcannia and when you see security grills on all the windows you just have to wonder?

Depending which way your going, Silverton (Broken Hill) is very good as is Tibooburra

Cheers

Bob L

AnswerID: 50212

Reply By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:22

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:22
Ta, we are heading towards Tibooburra - am still curious about Bourke. Have been to Wilcannia on last trip, know what you mean.... I guess it's the same story at Bourke. At Wilcannia, we needed petrol and a toilet stop. Got the petrol, but not the toilet stop, wasn't game to get out of the car.
AnswerID: 50213

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:53

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:53
wasn't game to get out of the car.

WHY ?
FollowupID: 312026

Follow Up By: Slammin - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 01:11

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 01:11
Haven't been to Bourke but the public toilets just down the way from the servo in Wilcannia were very clean and i found everyone friendly. I always stop when passing thru.
As to the crowd Lynn experienced, it's a bait game if you take the bait, ie get scared you lose (you don't get to go to the toilet). Happens in lots of places not just Wilcannia. I've played it lots of times and lots of places. Lynn they were playing on your fears when you had no need to be scared.
Stereotypes are only fun when you get a chance to poke the stick ;-)

As for valuables in cars I want someone to name me anywhere in the world it is sensible to leave them in clear view. OOPs it's easier to pick Bourke or Wilcannia not Cairns, Double Bay, Freemantle, Kakadu.

Come on people put your thinking caps on.
FollowupID: 312063

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 19:09

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 19:09
Lynn2 if your cocerned about Bourke there is a nice little town on the dirt road out of bourke on the way to Tibooburra called Wanaaring the store as you drive into town has accomodation for vans. The people there are friendly.
FollowupID: 312114

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 23:04

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 23:04
Just a query excuse the pun but, i hope your talking about the people in the streets of wilcannia not the public toilets, sorry bad taste , 10 upper cuts I deserve it and 50 lashes time to lie down, my daughter has just smacked in the back of the head.

BAZ,shame,shame,shame.
FollowupID: 312150

Follow Up By: Slammin - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 13:35

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 13:35
Yep Baz it is amazing what a difference a bit of puctuation can make.
LOL
FollowupID: 312176

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:50

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:50
Hi Lynn2,

We stayed in one of the caravan parks in Bourke last year and we had no problems. In fact we loved Bourke and wished that we had more time to spend there. We will definately be back. We were warned by the CP owner to lock the vehicle and leave nothing valuable on display, but the park was patrolled at night so we had no concerns.

Mitchell Caravan Park
Phone: 02 6872 2791
Deluxe Cabin: $60
Cash payment only

Lots of history in the area, and with the river having lots of water at the moment, Bourke would be well worth visiting. Drop into the visitors centre for more info.

If you don't feel like staying at a caravan park, then I think there were some B&B places as well.

Cheers
AnswerID: 50215

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:55

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:55
Thanks Glenn,

Since we are towing an off-road cvan we will need to stay in CP. It is good to hear that the Mitchell CP was fine. What did you do/see in Bourke?

Lynn
FollowupID: 312027

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:00

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:00
Hi Lynn2,

We didn't arrive until late in the arvo and left early the next morning, so all we saw was the cemetary (some famous people buried there), the old wharf and took a drive out to the old rail bridge over the Darling. We had dinner at the bowling club, that wasn't too bad.

Cheers
FollowupID: 312034

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:41

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:41
Hello Lynne - hope you enjoy your trip. I always found Bourke to be really interesting. I'll probably get "done" for this but you said in this reply - 'Since we have an off-road van we will need a caravan park'. Maybe you didn't quite mean this. Meaning? (Just being pedantic really). I hope that you bush camp in your off-road van. Either way you will still have a great trip.
FollowupID: 312078

Reply By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:57

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:57
Well Willem, there was a big group of people at about 10.15 a.m armed with long necks, calling out to all and sundry. The garage owner was ignoring them, I wasn't!!!
AnswerID: 50218

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 22:34

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 22:34
I sometimes wonder why people travel to these remote places when they are scared of:

Snakes
Spiders
Emus
Kagaroos
Camels
Feral cats(oh don't mention that one again!)
Toilets
Blackfellas
Creepies
Outback mechanics
Water
Fuel prices
Bush camping
Etc etc

To my mind our cities are far more dangerous.....and most of you live there!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodnight,

FollowupID: 312148

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 07:28

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 07:28
Hi Willie..I'm inclined to agree with you..[lol] have not been to Wilcannia [yet] but have been to some outback places in WA and same thing happens....however...the streets of London at night time...much more scary .....can't get passed my fear of spiders though...shall just have to learn to ignore them...[!!!???]
FollowupID: 312156

Reply By: Brad - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:06

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:06
Lynn2,
Never been to Bourke so can't comment.
When I travel Sydney - Cameron's Corner I go Sydney - Nyngan (1st night) - White Cliffs (2nd and 3rd nights) - Tibooburra or Sturt NP (4th night) - Cameron Corner / Innamincka or wherever (5th night) which seems logical and enjoyable.
Regards,
Brad.
AnswerID: 50221

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:08

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:08
Ta Brad, Haven't had a look at this route. Will check out the map.
FollowupID: 312037

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:10

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:10
Lynn2 (whose Lynn1 ?)
Bourke is worth a visit, but as they will tell you at the tourist office don't tempt fate by leaving valuables visible in your car. It's a lovely town with some beautiful old buildings and the jetty on the Darling worth spending time at. We just had a small incident on the river where the kids were having mud fight and I happened to get hit, I'm sure it was accidental, however I spoke courtesly but firmly to the kids and later one came over and apologised "Sorry Miser - didn mean t' hit ya, jus a crook shot".

It's worth visiting the big grape and citrus farms over the bridge at north Bourke, big time stuff. There is also a great caravan park on the river out that way, take the first right across the bridge, out a couple of K's on the RHS, think it was called the Kidman Way CP. Big strong young bushie chap runs it and can give you heaps of info. We spent a couple of relaxing days there, good camping also. Check at the info office in town.
Ask him also about the aboriginal museum/display at Brewarrina if you can get that way.
Walgett is a sorry looking town these days, same as Wilcannia, pity, don't judge them too harshly.
AnswerID: 50222

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:13

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:13
Dont know who Lynn1 is but I couldn't have the name Lynn, so thought Lynn2 was the next best...

I'm not judging too harshly, just cautious I guess.
FollowupID: 312040

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:26

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:26
Might just call you Lynny if you like.
FollowupID: 312043

Reply By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:27

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:27
My husband calls me that when I'm in the good books, when I'm not..... it's Lynette! !!!!!!
AnswerID: 50232

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 05:13

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 05:13
so what do you get called the most.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 312066

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 22:24

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 22:24
Hi Lynny,
went thru Bourke last July and was told by a local not to leave any valuables visible in the the car. We didn't stay there overnight as we stayed at Trilby Station, near Louth on the Darling River Run. We just called in to deliver a message to a Bourke copper; we'd met his grandfather in Dubbo and promised.... then went to see Fred's Grave on the way out of town toward the Louth road.

Wilcannia was a worse place in my opinion, more threatening....
AnswerID: 50241

Reply By: Patsy - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 23:16

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 23:16
Hi Lynn2
We made it to Bourke by 6.10pm after leaving the Spirit of Tasmania at 7.20am. We travelled up the Kidman Way and after a brief stop in the Bourke township to purchase a few groceries, we headed approx 6 kms north to one of the caravan parks. There were not many people about in the township and we saw nothing to disturb us. The caravan park did not offer us any warnings and we found it was a pleasant overnight spot despite a few hoons zooming up and down the main road. We walked across a clear field to the river the following morning to view the river and paddle steamer and the only complaint I had was the magpies that kept swooping me. Must have been the clothes I was wearing!!!! I quite liked what I did see in Bourke and would like to have had more time to explore. I have not been to Wilcannia but I would heed all the warnings and stories you have heard about the place. I am travelling up that way through Wilcannia to White Cliffs to Cameron Corner again in May (last time, went through Broken Hill, Silver City Highway and turned off at Milparinka to Cameron Corner). I have been warned that it is okay to fill up with fuel at Wilcannia and then get out of the place - don't stay.
Hope you have a great trip
Cheers
Patsy
AnswerID: 50249

Follow Up By: Slammin - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 01:18

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 01:18
Geeze Patsy isn't that illogical to listen to advice about Wilcannia but not Bourke?
Personally I wouldn't stay overnight in Wilcannia because there's nought to stay at!
FollowupID: 312064

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 20:29

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 20:29
Patsy, I hope you left the boat in Sydney not Melbourne !!!!!!!
Baz.
FollowupID: 312131

Follow Up By: Patsy - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 20:37

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 20:37
Well Slammin, I have never heard any warnings regarding Bourke before. But I have heard plenty about Wilcannia.

Baz, no, we left from Melbourne (Sydney one was not running at that time) and had coffee stops at Tucomwal, Griffith and Cobar. The rest was just steady, continuous driving. We had intended to stop at Cobar but there was plenty left in the day and this was all an alternative route to the Gulf instead of driving up through Alice as well as coming home that way.

Cheers
Patsy
FollowupID: 312132

Reply By: Bundyman - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 00:51

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 00:51
Lynn,
Stay in the caravan park at Cobar (south of bourke) very clean and green park with friendly hosts and none of the trouble you could get in bourke.

Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 50257

Reply By: Seto - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 07:10

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 07:10
Hi Lynn2,

Stayed at Kidman CP in Bourke April last year and had no problems at all - good facilities and great people - only potential threat we came across was about a dozen kangaroos hanging around the perimeter in the morning, all watching us eat breakfast - what a joy. As for Wilcannia, yes it has a reputation which in some cases is warranted based on an experience that my son in law experienced there but we got fuel at the BP depot and there were no problems at all. Yes the CP at Cobar is also very nice.

David.
AnswerID: 50262

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:15

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:15
I had $1000 damage done to my Jack in Bourke by bored kids.. They were seen and identified but nothing was done because of the " sensitivities" involved. Not covered by insurance either... Next stop was Cobar & at a servo the guy asked what had happened to the car & I told him & he said thet those "problems" were few & far between in Cobar because there was employment for all at the mine... The towns folk in Bourke were very generous with oofers of free accomodation and help...they were genuinely upset because this sort of thing gives the town a bad name... if I go to Bourke again I wont stop downtown.. there is a nice van park about 7km north.
AnswerID: 50266

Reply By: Diesel 1 - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:03

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:03
G'day Lynn,

The correct name of the CP in North Bourke that others have referred to is Kidmans Camp - a very spacious park with a track that leads down to the river, camp kitchen, clean amenities and friendly hosts. It's far enough out of town that you are not bothered with any of the problems that Bourke is notorious for.

Diesel 1
AnswerID: 50273

Reply By: Lynn2 - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:37

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:37
Thanks to everyone for their posts. Have decided to head off thru' Bourke regardless. However, I will take your advice and be careful where we stay. The Kidman CP sounds like the one. Thanks again!!
Lynn2
AnswerID: 50284

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 16:55

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 16:55
A Nice park... take a camera... go for a cruise on the Darling River.. a Paddle boat leaves from the river frontage of the CP.
FollowupID: 312103

Reply By: chapo - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 18:27

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 18:27
Lynn2,
I've always found Bourke ok, but the last trip we stayed at Byrock, 70k this side of Bourke .The Mulga Creek Hotel has the best camping spot right out the back.The friendliest publican and plenty of free fire wood and good hot showers.
cheers.
AnswerID: 50307

Reply By: KIM - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 20:03

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 20:03
Lynn,
There's nothing wrong with Burke. They have some problems, just like any other regional town. The kids can be a concern for a first time visitor, but if you engage them, you will get a completely different response. The town has a lot of history and you shoundn't be put off by negativity.
Have a good trip
Kim
AnswerID: 50317

Reply By: john - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:41

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:41
Hi Lynn2

We did the Corner Country trip last Sept/Oct and stayed at Bourke on the way back home (Nowra). I was born at Bourke and lived there for years so was well aware of history. We stayed at Kidman Camp at North Bourke - great park - we liked to so much we stayed 2 nights!! There's quite a lot to see nowadays - treat yourself to a bus tour of the town - I learnt so much!!!!

On our trip we started from White Cliffs then Tibooburra, Cameron Corner, up the Bore Track to Innamincka where we camped on Cooper Creek (great spot), visited Coongie Lake (couldn't get there for a few days due to road closed) then saw The Dig Tree, Noccundra and Thargomindah in SW Qld and then to Bourke via Hungerford. Good trip all round. There's a great little stop before Cameron Corner - Fort Grey its only a few kms off the main road but a nice break for lunch - they have loos and free bbqs!!!! & water not for drinking. We had a fantastic seafood banquet at Tibooburra for $12 a head - beautiful fresh seafood from Port Augusta!!!!! Cooper Creek is beautiful to camp at - amenities are in town and the laundromat has the best showers it you happen to go that far.

Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 53251

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 16:07

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 16:07
Thanks John,
We are going this year around the same time you did last year- should be around Cameron Corner in late August. Where did you get your Seafood Banquet from at Tibooburra?
Bye,
Lynn
FollowupID: 314981

Reply By: john - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 18:40

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 18:40
We went with a group of friends (8 vehicles, 16 people). We made it a point well before our trip, to let all our stops in the outback know that we were coming, or on the way. The reason being two fold - for all of us to be camping in the park (or somewhere) together and secondly, (probably more importantly) so that we didn't 'eat' the locals out of precious supplies - bread, milk, fresh vegies and beer etc, or they could order more in before we got there!!!!! We stayed at the T'burra CP and walked to the pub. The pub knew we were coming as we had previously decided that we would all book in tea. T'burra had had the night before, a community gathering of somesort and this is where the fresh seafood came in. Beautiful!!! We did not have to have the banquet - but when we saw the seafood - we couldn't resist. It looked great and tasted better, considering we come from the coast - the stuff we got out there, I think, was fresher and nicer! I still wonder if that can happen!!!!! Maybe, it was how many beers cleansed the dirt off the palate beforehand (just joking!!)

Are you going with a group or by yourselves?? Would love to go again!

Regards

John
AnswerID: 53896

Sponsored Links