What Spares Needed?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:45
ThreadID: 11324 Views:2141 Replies:15 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.

I'm just starting to get my head around a trip down the CSR in June / July. I'm pretty well versed with outback / desert travel, so gear and equipment is not my issue. The remoteness of the CSR though has me giving extra thought to what vehicle spares I should realistically take. Also, will be travelling as a solo vehicle (notwithstanding the rest of the mob doing the same thing!)

Run will be Brissy-Innamincka-Simpson-Tanami-CSR-Central Hiway and back through outback NSW. A fair test for the 4B.

Standard is belts and hoses, two spares and tyre changing gear, filters, hydrulic fluid, comprehesive toolbox, plus the usual assortment of Boy Scout odds & sods etc.

4B is an 18 month old Defender (Td5) with 40k on the clock.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Miker.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:51

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:51
silastic, gasket cement, superglue, loctite petrol tank repair epoxy, slave cylinder, to be continued........
AnswerID: 50664

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:19

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:19
wire, fuses for everything including fridge etc, soldering iron, crimp lugs and tool....
FollowupID: 312442

Reply By: miker - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:26

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:26
Yes, yes, yes. Slave cylinder - did give it a thought - probably should. (Will).
AnswerID: 50670

Reply By: Troopie - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:00

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:00
Heya
Not to sure about Defenders - but am going through the same process for a Trip up the Canning starting early July.

Some things I'm planning on carrying (I got this advice from a well travelled bushy). This is in addition to the things covered (e.g. gasket goop) and the usual array of hoses, belts, fuses, electrical connectors, ratchet straps (useful for all kinds of things), wire, tools, etc etc one would usually carry for such a trip

Pinion Seal
Bearing Kit
Wheel Nuts
Spring Centre Bolt (you are coils so not necessary I guess).
Truck tube rubber
battery bracket
Front/rear shock
Assorted bushes
Grease
Fuel line
hose clamps etc
oils
globes
CV
check the glue in your punture repair kit - it may have an expiry

Have a great trip
AnswerID: 50675

Reply By: Well 55 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:00

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:00
Welding gear. I had to use mine on another vehicle on the CSR. Also something to crimp/ repair break lines. Spare break fluid, power steering, and diff oil.

Look at the engine mounts in view of carrying a spare or how to weld up.

Shock bushes, spare shocks (if they are on the way out)
AnswerID: 50676

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:10

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:10
An Epirb may not go astray as well as a HF radio (can be hired), spare bolts, Zip ties, straps, fencing wire.
AnswerID: 50679

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 16:03

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 16:03
Hey Des Lexik, instead of hiring HF radio - they take up so much room and with all these other spares he won't have room for his passenger let alone an HF radio - Miker, look at hiring/buying a satellite phone. Seriously, cheap idea now. Not to be installed - but hand-held outside the vehicle. Hire - about $22 per day approx. Just a thought - don't forget the loo paper.
FollowupID: 312479

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 14:21

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 14:21
Just a suggestion to keep costs down - some places (if you're a regular customer) will give you spares on a pay if you use (or damage) basis. So if you regularly get the vehicle serviced by the dealer see if they'll do you any sort of deal. Even if they want a hire fee it would be cheaper than buying heaps of bits and then never needing them. Some can be bloody expensive.
AnswerID: 50693

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 14:31

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 14:31
we always get a new set of hoses and belts, fit the new and take the old with us (so we know they fit, nothing like finding out the spare hose is the wrong one in the middle of the CSR)

2 fuel, 2 air filters, an oil filter, oil (of each type required)

wire, gaffa tape, fuses, basic tools, some welding rods, jumper leads, puncture kit, first aid kit.

steve
FollowupID: 312471

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 14:32

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 14:32
we always get a new set of hoses and belts, fit the new and take the old with us (so we know they fit, nothing like finding out the spare hose is the wrong one in the middle of the CSR)

2 fuel, 2 air filters, an oil filter, oil (of each type required)

wire, gaffa tape, fuses, basic tools, some welding rods, jumper leads, puncture kit, first aid kit.

steve
FollowupID: 312472

Reply By: miker - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 15:03

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 15:03
Thanks guys.

I'm pleased to say I've got about 98% of the items mentioned so far on my current list. I have HF and always take welding gear (bush set-up). Moose, good advice about trying to hire the spares from the dealer. I'll run it past the service manager over the next few weeks( God knows I've spent enough with them over the past couple of fully serviced vehicles).You hear about this as an option but I've never met anyone that's actually done it.

Shocks are an obvious one I'll have to have a look at. $ and how to? Need a spring compresser I assume- I've never done one (or busted one luckily). Makes me think - I suppose a workshop manual is an idea.

Bearings - will talk to LR.
Troopie - will have to make contact prior to the trip for a chat.

Thanks fellas.

AnswerID: 50694

Follow Up By: Troopie - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 17:05

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 17:05
Miker
Yep - would be good to have a chat - by the looks of it there is a good chance we'll cross paths....

We plan to be be heading out from Wiluna sometime around the 3-5th July - depending on how much dicking about we do on the way over. At this stage the group will consist of two well set up Troopies (one is a pop-top) and probably two other vehicles (a hilux and I don't know the other).

Let me know if you want to make contact - I check the forum regularly.

Cheers
FollowupID: 312648

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 17:17

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 17:17
Miker,

The 40k service should be a big one, I hope. Have all the fluids changed and everthing that moves also checked, uni joints, ball joints, and bearings.

Check what bolts you have on the Defender, if they are not metric grab some common size nuts and bolts. The 4WD wrecker I go to has bags of bolts that they take off a vehicle when dismantleing and sell them for $5 a bag. If this is not possible 1mt lenghts of booker rod ( a steel rod with a thread along its lenght. You just cut to size and weld a nut on one end and a new bolt is born).

Don't forget to order the fuel for well 23 or it might be 33 , someone will correct this, I just can't think of which one it is.

Wayne
AnswerID: 50705

Reply By: hoyks - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 17:36

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 17:36
A couple of sticks of "Kneed-It" epoxy stuff.
AnswerID: 50706

Reply By: The Banjo - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 17:59

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 17:59
Did I see shocks in there ? Know someone who had to wait a few days last year around well 23 for shockers to be delivered from Cap RH at Newman. Might pay to have a front and a back, plus check underside for any other potential weakspots....
(stabiliser linkages etc)........better include the garden sprayer for spinifex fires in the underbody too - extinguisher apparently of little use.
AnswerID: 50715

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 19:10

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 19:10
Milker,

You are to be congratulated for thinking things through & acting before you leave.
I have done similar many times.

But can I pose a question?

You have good vehicle, low k's, well maintained do you not?

Why then do you need engine oil & filters?

If the vehicle is serviced prior to departure, service intervals mean that you won't need another. If, however, you decide to halve service intervals, why not get it done in Alice Springs? (post Innamincka/Simpson desert & pre Tanami-CSR).

The reason I suggest that is because the nature of such a trip is that weight/space/fuel/water will be the limiting factors.You will have to recognise that you can't cover every possible bad scenario/permutation. There is some risk involvedl; the idea is to minimise risk & have a plan if you do get in the poo (seems you have - sat phone, other vehicles passing etc).

So, save carting that bulk and weight, get it serviced en route.

Or maybe you reckon you might hole the sump? Ask around to see how often this occurs. If you've done SERIOUS damage, use (Ruth's) Sat phone, and have a spell for a few days. If it is SERIOUS you likely won't be able to fix it by your lonesome. If its minor, all the goo/sealant/washers/bolts/knead it/ etc others have suggested will get you mobile.

Just my two bob's worth - I won't be offended if you tell me to suck eggs.

Best wishes

AnswerID: 50727

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 19:17

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 19:17
Oops -

m I k e r

not m i L k e r ..................

who put the k & L keys there?.

derrr................
FollowupID: 312501

Follow Up By: miker - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:08

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:08
Hear what you're saying Rick. Oil is mainly with "holing" in mind. Have seen it twice over the years. Weight not really an issue overall, for me. Filter is more habit than anything. Just sits in the tool trunk.
FollowupID: 312584

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:53

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:53
I busted two brand new shockies on the Canning and had no spares which made life rather difficult for the rest of the trip. Another useful item is a turnbuckle(s) for attaching loose or broken parts.
AnswerID: 50770

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:43

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:43
I was about to go back through the list to see if there was a roll of tie wire in there. Last year I finished coming home from the Kimberley with the tail lights and mud flaps all wired in. Patted myself on the back for thinking to take it.
AnswerID: 50786

Follow Up By: miker - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:21

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:21
Been there done that. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Miker.
FollowupID: 312603

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 21:50

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 21:50
C A B L E T I E S
AnswerID: 50968

Reply By: Alfred - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:54

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:54
DUCTAPE,
Electrical Tape
AnswerID: 51122

Sponsored Links