Tarcoola to Cook

Submitted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1133 Views:2251 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone recently travelled from Tarcoola to Cook, thence to Nullabor? Require some info about the track conditions etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
yes last year; there is a story in a recent Australian 4WD Monthly of our trip - lots of detail; send me an email if you want to chat; the sand dunes are easy driving and the road deteriorates from then on virtually till Rawlinna; slow going flat and lots of saltbush; keep clear of the track workers and don't expect any friendly exchanges; good fun if you just like being out there.
GregC
AnswerID: 3557

Follow Up By: Werner - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Greg, I think I spoke to you about your article last Fri night but forgot to ask when you had gone. On Sat night I was viewing our video taken from the Indian Pacific on our way back from Perth and there were a few segments with the track on it.
Are there any gates on the road/track ? Thanks for the reply.
FollowupID: 1462

Reply By: Greg - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Werner
I do remember the call; sorry but I'd had a couple of reds by then. From memory the only gate is the dog fence just west of Tarcoola. The rest is clear sailing. As I said no-one's very welcome at Cook these days, so I'd just duck in for a quick look and then head south (it's an excellent road to the road house). No firewood on that section either by the way.
GregC
AnswerID: 3605

Follow Up By: Bob - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
There is a small detour to some limestone caves between Cook and Nullarbor which are worth a look. I was there in Easter 2000, but I can't remember the name of the place. I seem to recall using the Hema SE sheet but I may be wrong.
FollowupID: 1469

Follow Up By: Werner - Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00
I came across the section on this website re road conditions and there was some info about the Tarcoola - Cook road - access stricly prohibited, with hefty fines if caught. I think we will abandon the idea of travelling along there.
Thanks for your responses anyway.
FollowupID: 1489

Reply By: Margaret - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00
We travelled from Malbooma (top of Googs Track) to Cook last September. I got permission from Transfield in Port Augusta. The track was in very good condition as far as Ooldea, and up to that point there is plenty of camping. It gets a bit rougher after that and flat open country. A well worthwhile trip. Email me if you would like more info.
AnswerID: 3713

Follow Up By: Werner - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Margaret, I believe it would be a worthwhile trip. Do you know on whose property the road was on last year ? I believe that currently the road is on Rail Track Corporation property and that Transfield only do the maintenance on the railway. RTC aren't keen for anyone to use the road because of lack of maintenance and liability issues. It is a pity because that part of the country should be very interesting at least as far as Ooldea. If you have any further thoughts please send them through.
FollowupID: 1552

Sponsored Links