Where to go now ...Bugger...

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:35
ThreadID: 11344 Views:2535 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone...Well i did plan a trip from Perth to Derby then down the gibb river road to kunanurra then back to Halls creek on the bituman then down the tanami to Aryres rock then back on the tracks to leonora....Well that 's all gone down the drain because of the rain up in the kimberleys and yes there's more on the way...SO SO DISSAPOINTED....

Well what im asking people can someone suggest an alternative trip...we have two weeks off and looking forward to going away...Does anyone have any ideas where we can go for some fun,camping relaxing adventurous times in our northwest....

We will be leaving on the easter weekend ....any ideas would be nice any sugestions at all..I love the kimberleys though ....

anyways i 'll see what yopu all have to say...

regards phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:51

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:51
Phil,

You would have been travelling to do all that in 2 weeks.

Sorry I can't suggest any other trip.

Wayne
AnswerID: 50788

Reply By: Member - John- Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:04

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:04
Phil,
I wouldn't be changing things too much because of the Kimberley rain but I would for the desert areas in April. It will dry out quick enough in the Kimberley once the rain stops and is a week to week situation anyway.
I would still come straight up to Derby and head east down the GRR if it is open when you get here .... but plan a back up such as camping on the Dampier Peninsula north of Broome (which is where I'll probably go if the GRR is still closed).

Given you make it to Kununurra, I would look at a couple of days wandering down the Duncan Hwy to Halls Creek, camping at a premo camp spot just west of the Negri River crossing. You will have to keep in touch with the Kununurra Visitor Centre (or use this web site to monitor the Duncan Hwy status).

When you get to Halls Creek keep heading west and go home via the Pilbara. Forget about the Tanami and the central border areas as they have had much higher rainfall than usual during the past 6 months (go study the BOM rainfall maps for "Northern Wet Season to date").

In any case what you are thinking of in just two weeks is not a holiday ... its a cannonball run that is dependent upon ALL roads being open and ALL in good condition. Not likely at Easter time in my humble opinion.

Have fun
JohnS
Derby, WA
AnswerID: 50791

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:11

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:11
Phil,

Your erstwhile plans to travel the northwest etc does not allow any time for sleeping let alone sightseeing.

I would suggest you vidsit the Pilbara region. Spectacular scenery and just as remote and not as wet, maybe..........
AnswerID: 50792

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike A (WA) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:52

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:52
I'm with everyone else. 2 weeks for that trip would barely alow time to sleep let alone "Relax". & on a petty point, wouldn't you be going "up" the Gibb River Road to Kunnunurra not "down"?
AnswerID: 50816

Reply By: Davoe - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:10

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:10
Gascoyne area would be more feasable for a 2 weeker I have done the gascoyne and pilbarra 7800k in 1 month and later the kimberly and nt 14000k 6 weeks and for both trips there was very little mucking about. To do the kimberly in 2 weeks is unrealistic. My next holiday will be a 2 weeker which will involve travelling north from Kalgoorlie then heding west past mt augustus kennedy range np gascoyne junction, rocky pool ,quobba, coral bay and beach run to yardie creek. which would also be pushing it
AnswerID: 50849

Reply By: Member - Alan - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:24

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:24
Phil - I also recommend the Gascoyne area especially if you have not been up that way before
A few years ago we did a trip from Perth - Mullewa - Mt Augustus - Kennedy Ranges - Gascoyne Jctn - Shark Bay/Denham and all points in between. We only had ten days but could have easily spent an extra week or more out there.
Last year we had six weeks and did Cape Leveque / Gibb RR & the Bungles thing , again we could have spent a lot more time up there - it would not be worth going all that way for only two weeks.
Enjoy your holiday where ever you go

Regards
Alan
AnswerID: 50889

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 17:43

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 17:43
Phil,

Got to agree with the comments above re the Gascoyne. A good alternative destination and much more realistic in the time frame. Head up to Gascoyne Junction via Mullewa, then Mt Augustus and Kennedy Range NP. Not sure how wet/dry it is up that way at the moment but there are some good bush camping options along the Gascoyne River (Rocky Pool) and I've heard also the Lyndon River. Then head across to Carnarvon for some beachside camping north of there at Quobba or Gnarloo.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 50907

Reply By: Member - Slim - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 23:11

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 23:11
Phil,

Last August we did a 2 week trip which went like this: Kalgoorlie, Laverton, Great Central Road through Warburton, Giles and Docker River to Uluru: 2 day camp.
One night at Kings Canyon, through the dirt Roard to Alice: 2 days and nights. Go South down the Stuart Hwy past Marla there is a turnoff through Kingoonya, nice little dirt road to Wirrulla. Back through Ceduna and across the Nullarbor. If you want to get off the sealed road again you can go down through Peak Charles and home through Hyden, Corrigin, Brookton etc. or you could go to Coolgardie and do the Holland Track. This will well and truly fill in your fortnight. I think your original itinerary would have seen you home about June (bleary eyed!!!!!!!!!!!!)
AnswerID: 50989

Sponsored Links