Victoria High Country

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:31
ThreadID: 11403 Views:4557 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys and gals,
I,m a newcommer to ExplorOz (about 3 months) and am HOOKED on a great site.
Also new to 4WDing (about 15 months), I've found this site full of info and the forum has answered a lot of my questions by searching previous posts. Thanks to those who've replied to MY previous posts and any questions I may have.

Here's goes another one.............................
I'm heading down to the Victorian High Country for the 4 day Easter long weekend in the area of Davies High Plain and Mt Pinnibar. Coming from Sydney through Jindabyne and Tom Groggin. Can anyone recommend any "must do" tracks and camp grounds in the area?

Thanks in advance,
Alfred (Smithfield NSW)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 03:11

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 03:11
Hi Alfred,
welcome to the site mate. I was down there last year. What a place.
There are so many places to see, all depends how much time you are there for. I originally went down for a few days and ended up staying for 3 weeks. Went in there alone, some tracks were scary though as i didnt have backup if something happened. But i got through it ok...just.
there are books available which tell you the tracks, used one and planned my trip before i left home. Mapped my route out so i didnt backtrack anywhere and waste time.
The book i recoment is called 4wd tracks of the High Country by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage....its well detailed and was a great help. One track i enjoyed very much was called the Haunted Stream, it had heaps of river crossings which is what i enjoy most. Stayed in the huts overnight when possible, saved setting up the tent.
Some other track to think about are
craigs hut and My Stirling
Wombat Ample
Mount Pinnibar
Davies Planes
but there are heaps more....bets way is to get the book.
Tells you everything u need to know about each track. trip meter setting if u wnat to use the book as ur guide etc.

Hpe u enjoy the trip. Ill be heading abck down there some time this year if time allows. Still lots i havent seen. This time, ill be with others as its not the place to be alone.
Regards angelo
AnswerID: 51124

Reply By: Jarrod - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 13:21

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 13:21
G'day Alfred, Good to see you heading down to the Vic High Country, You'll Love it. I was there last week end, in particular Talbotville, Millers hut, ( for camping) and the pinnicles, butcher country ridge ( for must do dracks/views) Areas not to miss (from this section)- The pinnicles and ranger station, Gunn creek track, millers hut track.

The majority of tracks in that area are all in What I call "excellent condition", as you may recall, we had some pretty big fires through those parts just over twelve months ago, and the Govt. has seen fit to grade and bulldoze a lot of the tracks for fire management puposes. ( a good thing from that respect I guess.)

The scenery is breathtaking, but the devastation of the fires is still very evident. - however it's amazing to see how the bush regenerates.

Other tracks I recall in the area not to miss are Pinnibar (as you have mentioned), Wheelers creek Track/hut and Zulu creek track ( good little river crossing here).

Enjoy your visit, Stay off the clutch!!!

Jarrod.
AnswerID: 51153

Follow Up By: Alfred - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:54

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:54
Hi Jarod, thanks for the reply. Found Talbotville and Millers Hut on Hema's High Country map, but could not find butcher country ridge and Gunn creek/Millers hut tracks. Advice on locations would be much appreciated.
Wheelers creek and Zulu creek tracks were already penciled in as "tracks to do".
Cheers.

Alfred.
FollowupID: 313187

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:06

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:06
Have a look at McKillops bridge on the Snowy river and the Dedick trail. Craig.......
AnswerID: 51244

Follow Up By: Member - Penguin (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 13:34

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 13:34
Yeah, what he said. Great track if you've got low range.
FollowupID: 312988

Follow Up By: Alfred - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:57

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:57
Found McKillops Bridge. Where's the Dedick trail?
FollowupID: 313189

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 23:46

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 23:46
Alfred. It starts near McKillops bridge and follows the Snowy river on the East side down towards Orbost. Great scenery and a few challenging spots. Cheers Craig.............................
FollowupID: 313245

Sponsored Links