Just got abck from the 4wd show sydeny

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:17
ThreadID: 11411 Views:1739 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hello fellow thrill seekers,
Went to the show today at darling harbour. Was very dissapointed in prices. I noticed lots of items actually marked up higher than quotes from shops. The sad part was, people were falling for it.

This industry is really one total overpriced sham. Sometimes i really do believe that they all get together and set a minimum price across the board to keep prices up.

Oh on a lighter note though....Had me a real good look at the Kimberly Kampers this time, spent almost an hour there with Jason, he was fantastic. Explained everything simply and honestly. I was impressed. They have some fantastic ideas and the sky is the limit as far as special needs goes. I will be calling him soon to take one for a long test drive before a deposit might be taken. Wanna make sure the GQ will handle it without overheating problems. I hate overheating problems !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brad - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:22

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:22
Sure your GQ won't even notice a good camper behind.
Make sure you don't really want a Tvan or Ultimate for similar money ( for similar inclusions).
Regards,
Brad.
AnswerID: 51177

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:51

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:51
Speak to me ...what have u got?
pics available?

cokeaddict@optusnet.com.au
cheers Brad
FollowupID: 312908

Follow Up By: Brad - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 18:03

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 18:03
I've got an Ultimate....
http://www.ultimatecampers.com.au
........and I've been told I'm one-eyed :-))
Tvan are at http://www.tracktrailer.com
For my requirements Ultimate won hands down - for you it may be different.
I'm only saying that there are dozens of good campers out there ( all shapes , sizes, configurations, prices etc.) so make sure you look at a few before you put your money down.
Have a look at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers
if you like for more advice and chat.
Regards,
Brad.
FollowupID: 312910

Reply By: Member - Liz- Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:24

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:24
Gosh we must have been there at the same time-see response 11413 for more info!!!
AnswerID: 51180

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:20

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:20
LIZZZZZZ....
was that you that fell into the fish tanks?
FollowupID: 312966

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:50

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:50
"Was very dissapointed in prices. I noticed lots of items actually marked up higher than quotes from shops. The sad part was, people were falling for it."

Falling for it? or having no idea what things are really worth?

Very common now I dont think I remember a "GOOD" story about the aussie 4wd show scene in years!

Think about it from a business point, we were talking about this at the club meeting few weeks ago.. One of the people who has a stall was talking, it costs ARB ~$80k for their stand the Melbourne 4wd show, + Setting up, stock etc BEFORE they make $0.01. thats a LOT of sales they require to break even.

Its brilliant marketing.. Paste "SALE" and "SHOW SPECIALS" all over things and people think WOW!!

Be smart, know prices before you go. Dan that runs the Melbourne 4wd list, he priced a Long range tank week before the show, then at the show was quoted ~$50-100 more. Beat that.

I dont bother with the 4wd shows anymore. Better prices to be had by becomin a regular at the local 4wd shop, and haggling.

4wd Shows, they actually have the hide to CHARGE YOU TO GO IN!!! and be raped in the ginger! No thanks.

If the bloke thinks he has a sale he will spend as long as it takes to get your coin!

YMMV
AnswerID: 51196

Follow Up By: Savvas - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 23:13

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 23:13
I haven't been to this years show.

Last year I thought I'd ask around for dune flags. Stuffed if I could figure out why a fibreglass pole and an orange piece of plastic would cost $127, no matter how good the hardware.

FollowupID: 312947

Reply By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 20:06

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 20:06
Well, we did get some bargains! We have been looking at prices for months for the things we wanted to buy. A bullbar for example for our NP Pajero was 10% cheaper if we ordered it at the show than any quote we had so far. Also bought a shower which was $20 cheaper than retail (we had also checked this out before). Bought a gas heater attachment for our gas bottle at a $10 discount (considering it only cost $49 this was pretty good discount. We also bought a Coleman tent which was $750 dollars at the cheapest we could find retail for $650. We had seen this at the Kembla Grange 4wd show and did not buy it, preferring to check out retail prices. They did not have the model we wanted at the Darling harbour show, but will send it to us for the same price we could have bought it for at Kembla Grange (which was incidently $100 cheaper than any price we could have bought it for anywhere else, and believe me we checked everywhere!)

Sooooo . . . . it all comes back to knowing your priceing and knowing what you want.
AnswerID: 51199

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:19

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:19
Hello Lynn
I am glad you found some bargains. I guess the things i was looking for didnt fall into that catagory. But i was amazed at the prices of the fridges, increadably over priced. Glad i alread bought mine when i did. There was no way i was going to pay 300 more for what i got.
That tent sounds great, was it the one you were after?

I really only went there to see the camper trailers, as i move onto my next phase in life. I've done the rough off roading stuff and loved it (at great expense) But now that i have a better understanding of myself and my car, I want to do the nice things, like river campings and fishing and the likes....Hmm did i just mellow out? oh well, thats life.

Take care Lynn. ..... Angelo
FollowupID: 312965

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 23:57

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 23:57
Angelo.....Did you find something to put your gasbottle in :-)))))) Used paint tin costs nothing!!!! Cheap, eh?
AnswerID: 51222

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:13

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:13
onya Willem,
No i havent worked that one out yet mate. But im kinda doing 1000 things at once here so I will eventually get around to it. I saw what i wanted at the show actually. But in time i will make one up to suit my bottle. Not hard, just need time and patience.

You take care old mate..cheers Angelo
FollowupID: 312964

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:59

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:59
Willem, I have mine in the tool box under the side of the tray which I had set aside for my recovery gear. At least it is an airy spot there and accessible from the tent on the side and before I slide out the fridge andstove for my cuppa or a meal. It does seem a waste of that box some times.
FollowupID: 312983

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:44

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:44
Ah Angelo, behind the wheel arch, if you have the room of cause. In a paint tin, HOWZAT Willem.

Baz.
FollowupID: 313002

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:56

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:56
I also went sat evening tried parking nearly wiped out roof of 4x4 in the first car park then took a half hour to find a car park I would fit in then walked and got lost and got asked by some street kid if I had 2 bucks and said I did.
Then finnaly got to the show.
In my oppinion there wasnt any thing new or realy interesting other than having a chin wag with wayne from great divide tours.

all the best
Eric
AnswerID: 51279

Follow Up By: Member - Bernard - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 19:36

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 19:36
Eric -- Agree with you on the parking problem at Darling Harbour. Roof/air ducts/piping much too low for any reasonable sized fourby -- so why hold the show there in the first place? Nearest reasonable parking is the multi-story one behind the Entertainment Centre. Guess Darling Harbour is another example of Government stupidity, lack of planning, and lack of foresight.

Bernard
FollowupID: 314749

Reply By: Hatcher - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:02

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:02
I usually wait until September for the Penrith 4WD show. Same show as Sydney, although slightly smaller as it doesn't have too much of the tourist information stands, but all the accessory mobs are there and the best part is, no entry or parking fees!

But I must say, it’s all getting a bit boring now. Better to go to your local 4WD store. Same stuff, more convenient, less people.
AnswerID: 51431

Sponsored Links