do we need a winch & GPS

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 00:09
ThreadID: 11420 Views:2478 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
About to head off to places west.... plan to go to Camerons Corner then Birdsville and on to Alice Springs via the Frnech Line rd over the Simpson Desert. Hubby reckons we don't need a winch...I have a chance of getting a Tirfor handwinch for a good price. Has anyone crossed this track lately and should be have a winch & GPS (I know this is just a gadget luxury but would like to know if others consider it necessary) We are in a Hilux 2.6 diesel 4x4.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 01:15

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 01:15
I always find that if I don't take something that I considered..... I'll need it after all!
AnswerID: 51223

Follow Up By: David O - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:08

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:08
Royce,

That philosophy must make it awfully difficult to pack the car! :-)

David
FollowupID: 312959

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:45

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:45
Lorraine are you travelling on your own ? if so some sort of recovery winch is possibly needed . If your with a group a few snatch straps will get you out .

Have a good trip.
Eric
AnswerID: 51228

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:59

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:59
A gps is handy for being able to give an exact location should something go wrong, wether that be by long range comms (preferred) or by flagging down another vehicle and writing down the coordinates for them to arrange helop at the next town!! Far better than saying "126 kms after the big tree near the river".
AnswerID: 51229

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Victoria)) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:27

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:27
Lorraine, With a small amount of common sense you will do fine without all that stuff. If alone don't go anywhere off the beaten track where there's a chance of getting stuck. Do carry a snatch strap at all times so others can help if you do manage to bog and carry a long handled shovel so you can help yourself. Carry sufficient water and food for a few days delay.
AnswerID: 51234

Follow Up By: Lorraine - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:05

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:05
Thanks Ray,
Will pack accordingly.
Cheers
Lorraine
FollowupID: 313043

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 10:47

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 10:47
If your map reading skills are any good a GPS is really only novellty value. (ETA to the next town etc)
Winching in sand is hard work whether it be electric or Tirfor. Far better to travel with another car and use a couple of straps. Craig............
AnswerID: 51243

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:10

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:10
I agree with Crackles to a point.

I travel alone 99% of the time and have an electric winch and bullbag, Hi lift jack, bottle jack, puncture repair kit etc. I also have a GPS(a handy toy) but we crossed the Simpson in the days before the GPS became popular( a north south crossing 500km off road) and with good mapreading skills and the use of a sextant we completed our journey successfully.

Two weeks ago I met a couple in the middle of Little Desert NP, Victoria. We stopped for a natter and he asked me to explain how to work the GPS. It was as useful as a lump of wood in his hand.

Do your research, prepare your vehicle properly and don't take unnecessaary risks. Remember to carry enough water with you and try not to overload the vehicle.

A tirfor winch is a handy tool but you will have to be strong and very fit to use one.

Cheers
AnswerID: 51250

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 13:30

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 13:30
if he couldn't understand the readout on his GPS how good would his map reading skills be????

At least an idiot could read out a few numbers that someone smarter can understand as a position.

Fully agree with all of the rest of your comments.

Cheers
FollowupID: 312987

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 16:40

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 16:40
Lorraine ,I have carried a Turfor for a couple of years now and so far have not had to use it , but its there it doesnt take up that much room ,I also carry first aid box which hasnt been used but one day one of these items may save my life or someone elses .I dont know how many times on trips I have heard people" say bugger I wish I had packed ...this or that... its at home in the shed".
Just my 2 cents worth
AnswerID: 51263

Follow Up By: Lorraine - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:07

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:07
Thanks Peter,
will take all advice on board and see haow we go
Cheers
Lorraine
FollowupID: 313044

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:04

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:04
So where do you draw the line between too much gear and not enough?
It is a hard call!
Certainly if you travel alone caution is required - maybe take a bit more.
But no amount of gear will beat Murphy!!

I'll never forget the looks on the faces of the owners of 3 Troopies we met at Meeting Gorge, Rudal R NP - us in our old Subarus. Their cars were packed to the 'rafters' with gear and also full length roof racks. Maybe they were on a around the world trip? Their jaws hit the ground when they saw us in out little cars.
And another Toyo on the Talawana track who had just had to go to Newman from the CSR to have the chassis welded - overloaded.

We still carry all the right stuff, spares, 1st aid kits, frigs, sat phones, camp ovens, tents, even a few beers etc etc.

Cheers
FollowupID: 313123

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:56

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:56
If someone offered me a Tirfor at a realyy good price I'd get it, but I've never needed a winch yet.
On the other hand knowing where you are is more than just a safety issue - to me half the fun of the trip is looking at the maps and knowing where you are going. I look back on my preGPS trips and most of the time we where half lost and pressing on in hope.
So if I could afford one of the above it would be the GPS every time.
AnswerID: 51285

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:57

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 19:57
Lorraine, you do not need a winch or a GPS to travel thoseparticular roads - you certainly do not need them for the French Line - the road goes east-west or west-east directly. Camerons Corner to Birdsville is on well marked roads also. I travel the SD a lot - I don't have a winch. Should I go to the Gulf or Cape - yes, I would consider it. Should you get bogged in the SD - you HAVEN'T LET YOUR TYRES DOWN ENOUGH. (Sorry, I was shouting).
AnswerID: 51287

Follow Up By: Lorraine - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:04

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:04
Thanks Ruth, will take that all on board. At least I have a good air compressor! Have been to the Gulf and the Cape and managed to survive without a winch (although did have a small cheapie hand winch under the seat just in case, but never even looked like using it). Maybe we were just younger then and a little less cautious....;-))) Lorraine
FollowupID: 313042

Reply By: Davoe - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:05

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:05
While those that say you dont need a gps are quite right- people didnt stumblr round aimlessly before their invention they are a great gadget and have have more uses than making sure you are on track. I have a garmin etrex which has all the basic features and for the price they are these days the question is not why but why not- just the thing for the directionally challenged such as myself!
AnswerID: 51375

Sponsored Links