AAmi insurance

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:18
ThreadID: 11438 Views:3802 Replies:8 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Anyone had dramas with AAMI for their 4wd insurance?? Like the rating one for life so may just change over. They tell me (in writting) that I'm covered pretty much everywere, just on in races, comps etc.

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Trev - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:20

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:20
We have been with AAMI for years, never had a problem and had a few claims. We live in the country and so get treated prety well.
AnswerID: 51293

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:31

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:31
Its the same as every insurance company.

Good and bad stories about them all...

Just gettin confirmation about what 'Competition" is, and coverage for "club events" is a bit of a grey area.

one bloke had his payment denyed due to being on a club trip that was broken in to 4 groups A-B-C-D, and each car was marked with what group you were in..

Somehow, it was considered competition, and not paid.

YMMV...
AnswerID: 51296

Follow Up By: Roachie - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:49

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:49
Hey Truckster,
Go back to Post 11425...there's a bloke looking for some info from you about your MT/Rs.......
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 313026

Follow Up By: Roachie - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:57

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:57
Trucky....
Now THAT was great service......

LOLOLOL

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 313028

Reply By: Richard - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:35

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:35
Heard they are OK and just about to try them out
AnswerID: 51297

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:50

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:50
Thanks all!!
AnswerID: 51304

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:57

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:57
Ray... we have been with AAMI for about 17 years.. are covered Rating One for Life.... all of the fourby's mods/extras etc are listed and we are covered for any gazetted road in Australia... no cover on competition tracks.... even if there's NO comp on at the time. ALthough I did get them to agree we could go to Landcruiser Park and use the tracks that AREN'T used for competition ;-) just not on a weekend that the Extreme Winch Challenge is on (Ok to spectate though!) Even the fridge is covered as long as it's chained to the cargo barrier!! (So it can't be nicked readily! It's a bloody big chain!)
I haven't had to make a claim yet.... (for years and years actually!) so I don't know how that side of it works!
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 51311

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:15

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 23:15
no cover on competition tracks.... even if there's NO comp on at the time.

so if your driving around Toolangi way, where they hold lots of comps and "stumble" onto a track your fubar?

Cause they held some out there, and what timeframe do they work on, a competition in the last 40 years or last 2years?
FollowupID: 313045

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:59

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:59
Hi Bruce,
Well.... in the conversation I had with them I raised Landcruiser Park as a place I might want to visit as it's only a few hours away. But they said because of the competition aspect, I would not be covered. I thought I probably wouldn't be anyway because as far as I know 'Cruiser is private property therefore isn't public gazetted roads. (I may stand corrected on that)
I would have to check with them regarding Toolangi, something I would do before heading down that way. I understood the timeframe to be an annual thing.... if 'Cruiser had no events this year and I went there early next, I would be covered... again I may stand corrected.
The one thing I have found with AAMI is that everytime I ring them up, I get sensible answers.... and they always encourage people to ring them with questions etc....
They ain't for everybody, but they suit me.

FollowupID: 313066

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:09

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:09
I'm with AAMI and have written confirmation that I am covered on a track that is/has been used as a competition track as long as I am not competing.

Ray, do a search on AAMI in the archives and you should find a thread where I posted AAMI's written responses to my questions.

One thing to note is that they only allow 3 mods (but many things we think of as mods, they consider "accessories").
FollowupID: 313082

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:17

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:17
Rohan,
That's very interesting. I will contact them to find out if I can do the same. Thank you for letting me know mate!
FollowupID: 313178

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 21:20

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 21:20
And the conflicting storys start...

Thats my point.. Not 2 people on the earth can get 2 same answers EVER.

How can it be? How the hell can we/consumer trying to do the right thing ever survive?

Did you see the story on Insurance companies tonight on tele? Pay rates same as 1980's and premiums at an all time high.. one blokes car had twisted chassis by 3-4inches!!! They handed it to the dude as REPAIRED..

FollowupID: 313193

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 07:52

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 07:52
Bruce,
you have a very good point.... unfortunately it seems that's the way that insurance has become. It's up to each individual to "negotiate" the best deal for themselves. And who has time for that on a regular basis??? The thing that annoys me is that I have been with the one company for 18 years..... and I still have to prove to them that I'm "fair dinkum" and not one of the literally thousands who are out there trying to rip 'em off. Which is how it got outta hand in the first place!
An example.. although slightly off topic, a customer rang me recently to check his air con.... it's old and now inefficient due to the extremely hot summer we've had and needs replacing, so he buys a new one from the retailers and pays me to fit it. Then asks me to write a letter to the insurance company saying the old ones "death" was caused by storm damage! So he expects them to pay for his a/c being too old! I would have gladly written the letter if the damage had of been consistent with storm damage.... but his wasn't! So I didn't!
My point is the insurance companies have been hit so many times with fraudulent claims that they don't trust ANYONE! And although I don't condone it... I can see their point of view!
(they're still thieves though aren't they???)
FollowupID: 313262

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 20:49

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 20:49
Hey Brian,

firstly, wasnt having a go, been on phone to insurance companies for DAYS trying to get a price for a 1994 Mazda 626 V6 Hatch manual.. the best I got was $200 more than the patrol, and insured for $14k less.. I dont get the world...

I could NOT get a straight answer on the question:

"Is it a high risk car"
or
"Why is that price 100's more than my Patrol, or a mates $50,000 Cruiser"

I got all sorts of bull bleep and dribble that was almost as insulting as telling me the weather is fine.. Nothing AT ALL about the car.

They have been hit with fraud, thats the risk you take if your an insurance company.

You dont remember the Gov putting a cap on payouts (not car claims), cause the insurance companies ARE doing it tough REAL tough.. What $10 BILLION per 1/4 profit after tax? I mean I feel for them totally..
FollowupID: 313362

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 20:51

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 20:51
to add to that they said why not go Fire and Theft, but if it gets stolen, you will only get $5000.. (redbook is $10-14,000).. I dont believe it. I said to the rag, would you be happy with that? a $14000 car being stolen and being paid $5000 ?
FollowupID: 313364

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:05

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:05
Bruce,
No worries.... never thought you were having a go... and although I sympathise with them at the amount of fraud over the years, I agree, they're all thieves!!!

Another friend here had a work ute insured with NRMA... agreed value for the ute plus work tools etc... (he's a plasterer)

Ute gets knocked off... NRMA paid out;
Zilch for the tools
under 1/2 the agreed value for the ute
Deducted the GST .... even though he bought the ute prior to GST being implemented!!!!!!!!!!

I can't figure out how they make up their prices either mate, I pay for my father-in-laws Nissan Pulsar third party fire and theft housed in Sydney..... it's near as dammit the same as what I pay for my Patrol Comprehensive with all the goodies listed, and near the same as my "Misty Express" work van!!!!!

Buggered if I know!!!
:-)
FollowupID: 313370

Reply By: Trol - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:22

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:22
Hi Ray,

I do motor vehicle recoveries (you crash into an AAMI insured uninsured, and I'm the one they get to chase you) for AAMI and I can confirm that they are one of the better in the market.

Read the policy booklet thorougly first, and always call them if you doubt that a mod may not be roadworthy. Obviously it's different in every state but by calling you cover your heiny.

Secondly, always ask for their confirmation in writing that they accept your mods and have them listed on your policy in detail. AAMI's customer service is also fantastic.

Have fun!

Trol.
AnswerID: 51353

Follow Up By: myfourby - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:34

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:34
Hey Trol,
Just inquired with AAMI on insuring my fourby for a trip around Australia - they told me that their policy is to not cover such vehicles.

They said that the policy is determined by the postcode given to them - and if the vehilce is not going to be housed at that location for the majority of the time - they would reject a claim.

So when I asked - where do I get insurance for a "round australia trip" taking possibly 12 or so months - they refered me to their "sister" company "Just Car Insurance" who promptly rejected my request for insurance as soon as I told them I was travelling around Australia.

"Just Car Insurance" said that if I were to claim with normal insurnace based on postcode information - an investigation would be conducted - which would quickly determine that the car was spending exteneded periods away from the postcode address I had given them - and the claim would be rejected! - is this true??

Help - where do I get insurance for a "Round Australia Trip?"
FollowupID: 313093

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 13:46

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 13:46
why tell them it's for 'around Australia'. Just insure the vehicle at your home address, and if you happen to have an accident near Broome, you'll still be covered...
FollowupID: 313101

Follow Up By: myfourby - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:33

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:33
I know what you're saying - but - according to "Just Car Insurance" - if the accident happens out of the state - an investigation will take place - they will find out I havent been living at home - and the car has not been where I said it was.. (ie. at he nomiated postcode) and they will turn down the claim.

Dunno - am I just being paranoid.. - or should I be worried?
FollowupID: 313130

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:53

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:53
I would ring around insurance companies and ask what there policy is for interstate accidents - don't mention 'around Australia'...
FollowupID: 313136

Follow Up By: Trol - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:13

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:13
Hi Ray,

Well, I just spoke to someone I deal with everyday and she has informed me that 12 months is unacceptable and you were informed correctly in regards to the need to a fixed address. The reasoning behind this is that you run a much higher risk of being involved in a collision and therefore AAMI must undertake their own risk assessment.

I was informed however that 3-6 months would most likely be acceptable. 3 months most definitely and 6 months, if you were to stop somewhere for 2 or 3 months you could setup a temp policy covering you from that address for that period of time. Maybe 3, 3 month trips might be in order so you can be assured that you will be covered...

Cheers

Trol
FollowupID: 313140

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:04

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:04
Work it out, if your on the road for 12 mths, theres a wee bit more chance than someone who goes out for 4 weekends a yr...
FollowupID: 313369

Follow Up By: myfourby - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 17:27

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 17:27
Hey Trol,

I just enquired with RACV - asked them exactly the same questions (told them I was travelling OZ for upto 12 months) - and they didn't have a problem with it.

They couldn't care less where the car is used or stored with in Australia - doesn't matter how long I travel for. The only requirement they had was that I had to have a permanent mailing address so that they could send their bills to me!! - They said - (and I quote) "How are we going to know where the car is used/stored for any period of time????" - I replied - (and I quote) "Good point!"

I can now holiday with piece of mind! :)

-myfourby
FollowupID: 314632

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 23:41

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 23:41
Come on Dave get back to work you little bitch.. I know your in holiday mode, and have been, but ya still got a few weeks of work left..

NOW GET TO IT.. Make me a coffee???
FollowupID: 314681

Follow Up By: Trol - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 07:51

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 07:51
Howdy myfourby,

Good stuff mate. Now you have piece of mind. Just make sure RACV agree to all mods you may have and have your car assessed at one of their many assessing centres and have their agreement in writing concerning your trip (by the way, I'm very jealous your going on such a long trip!!!) if you feel that their evaluation on your vehicle is a little low. They sometimes cannot, without seeing the condition of a vehicle understand just how good a condition it is or just how low the k's are.

Cheers

Trol.
FollowupID: 314691

Reply By: Davoe - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:22

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:22
Off the subject a bit I bought a l/c campervan to replace my ageing Nissan campervan. I phoned up vacc to get 3rd party and was told they dont do campervans so I told them I alredy had a campervan insured with them. They replied that I obviosly hadnt been forhcoming with my application and my insurence on the Nissan was void-------- Until I pointed out that as requested I had sent them photos (all 4 sides ) of the van and it was obviosly a camper. I got an uh well its covered but we wont renew the insurance. BTW I wrote off my camry insured with same and they were great
AnswerID: 51416

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:27

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:27
Mate of mine has similar with a Bike. Insured the moto-bike for 3rf party proprty as they were the cheapest. Every time he rings them up about something the first line person says "we don't insure motor-bikes" so he quotes his policy number. They've told him for 2 years they won't renew it but keep on sending renewals, so he just doesn't talk to them anymore!

Having said that I went with AAMI as they were the cheapest and seem to offer a good policy.
FollowupID: 313488

Reply By: Member - Harris J (NSW) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:59

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:59
Ray,

I have a Patrol Insured with AAMI, my policy covers anywhere not just known tracks,
I am covered for 12 trips a year & if it is an extended 4WD trip They need notification. I also have accessories to the value of $15,000 covered.
Have been with them for about 8 years , had one accident [Not my fault] and to date they have been good

Have a Good One
AnswerID: 51430

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:02

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:02
"AAMI, my policy covers anywhere not just known tracks,"

How come there are so many different stories? Thats the bit that worries me.

Some are covered anywhere, some are covered on "KNOWN" tracks, some are covered on Mars etc etc...

FollowupID: 313367

Follow Up By: Seto - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 22:37

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 22:37
I also just got a quote off AAMI and when asked whether the vehicle would be covered for offroad use they advised that it would be covered anywhere at all in Australia including beaches.

David
FollowupID: 313417

Sponsored Links