Hot Shower Units

Submitted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1145 Views:5595 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at purchasing a hot shower system. I am particularly interested in the Primus Gas Shower. I saw it advertised in the latest catalogue of Camping World. The unit is very small and fits straight on top of the gas cylinder with one hose with an inline pump run by "D" cell batteries to the water supply and the other for the shower. Unfortuantly, Camping World can no longer supply it. Has anyone had any experience with this type of system, do you know where it is available, and the cost. How does it compare to the in-motor heat exchange types?

The only other supplier I have found is in USA, His Travel Shower unit is identical.http://www.zodi.com/welcome.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
The primus unit is the zodi unit. I emailed Zodi some time back and they told then that primus would start importing them soon. Maybe try contacting primus directly.

One downside of the zodi unit is that you cannot let it run out of water or you'll burn it out. I also believe that you can't turn the water flow off so lather up

There is a freestanding unit made in Cairns, but a friend of mine who bought one was alarmed at how much gas it used. They are around the $500 mark. It uses an aluminium coil instead of copper. Can't remember the name of the maker, but Pickers Camping and Canvas in Cairns stocks them.
AnswerID: 3597

Reply By: Mark - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
Michael,
I was looking at the various options in camping showers but could not make my mind up whether to go with a heat exchange type or gas bottle.
As I needed something in the meantime I bought a cheap "Turbo shower" from Dick Smiths ($30) well I must say I was quite impressed for the price and it really has worked really well. You simply heat water on the gas stove or over the fire and fill a bucket when the desired temp is reached, drop in the pump into the bucket and plug the long power cord into the ciq lighter and switch it on. It was almost as powerful as the shower at home and we got 2 showers out of one bucket. Not sure how long the thing will last but for the 6 or 7 camping trips a year we do it is more than adequate.
AnswerID: 3599

Follow Up By: Maree - Sunday, May 19, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 19, 2002 at 00:00
Michael - this is very old and out-of-date but Mark's right. Some ofthe guys in this forum suggested this type of battery run shower to me when I was buying. Just came back from a trip in National Parks in South Aus where there was only cold showers in late Autumn and the shower worked brilliantly. I'm almost inclined to use it all the time even when I'm at a place with facilities but that would was the batteries. One bucket was plenty for 2 reasonably long showers. I got mine from K-mart for $30. It comes in a small plastic suitcase with everying you need. Highly recommended.

Maree
FollowupID: 1500

Follow Up By: Michael Sheehan - Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00
After reading the responses and considering the cost difference and limitations of the gas system ( Not being able to turn the water off while the gas is on) I have convinced my wife to try the $30.00 option. I purchased the Turbo Shower today.
FollowupID: 1533

Reply By: royce - Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00
Just finished a trip into Wannangatta Homestead in Gippsland High country. Took a battery operated shower, which I operated from a jump start battery. Worked so well that twenty people used it from the horse riding group, daily for ten days straight. It's still going strong. I got it from Super Cheap Auto and had to tape it up a bit to stop leaks at the start. cya
AnswerID: 3694

Reply By: Rod Blackwell - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Enquired at K-Mart, Brookvale (Sydney) about these $30 12v showers, they knew nothing about them. Was wondering if anyone in Sydney would know of a K-Mart, or any other place that may sell them ?
Thanks.
AnswerID: 3784

Follow Up By: Michael Sheehan - Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00
I bought my 'Turbo Shower' from Jay Car for $28.00. Dick Smith have the exact same unit listed on their website http://au.store.yahoo.com/dse-au/ Have only tried it out at home in the driveway so far, but it sure seems to do the job, comes complete with all the hooks mountings and carrybag, no extras to buy.
FollowupID: 1608

Reply By: Nigel - Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00
if you use the turbo shower enough to wear it out, you could consider making your own setup. I bought a Shurflow pressure pump from Whitworths (approx $160) and a shower head with a lever on that you press to allow the water to flow. This setup is more expensive, but as we go camping 1-2 times a month, we get our moneys worth. The main benefits are that the pump can be setup on the bullbar close to the vehicle battery (no expensive D cells) and only a hose needs to be run to the shower as the pump will turn on and off as needed by the shower head because of the pressure switch in the pump (unless you run out of waterthen the pump will keep running till you turn the main switch off - but it's safe to run the pumps dry). We also use the pump to draw water directly from a creek to fill the 20 litre bucket for shower water (saves using our drinking water and save hurting the back carry a bucket full of water). We fill the 20 bucket in the morning and leave it in the sun with the lid on. If it's not warm enough for a shower we boil 2-4 litres of water on the campfire or gas stove and that's always warm enough then.
AnswerID: 3810

Reply By: Rob - Sunday, May 26, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 26, 2002 at 00:00
Make one
http://www.blazinobsession.com/shower.html

AnswerID: 3833

Sponsored Links