innamincka common or cullyamurra?

Submitted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1149 Views:2547 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading west from sydney in July with 4 vehicles, 8 adults and 9 kids for a couple of weeks camping/touring.

When we get to innamincka we have a few days (3) scheduled there before moving on to coongie for a few.

Question: We are looking for opinions as to where we should camp particularly around innamincka. Some have said the town common is best because it is close to pub/supplies/side trips and others have said cullyamurra is quieter and better facilities/campsite.

Comments please.

cheers
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John R. - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
The info you have so far just about sums it up. The common is also free, Cullyamurra requires the desert parks pass. Cullyamurra is far and away the best place if you want a bit of quiet. If you've got three days, you can be self-sufficient, without needing the pub/supplies.
AnswerID: 3596

Reply By: Werner - Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 16, 2002 at 00:00
Hi John, you will need the Desert Parks pass to travel through the Innamincka Regional Reserve in any case, so that is not an issue. I have camped at both Minkie and Cullyamurra waterholes, each has it's own character. It's even better if you have a canoe or something similar (also very useful for Coongie - can't remember if you can hire them). I haven't camped in the Innamincka common so I can't help you there. The far northeast of SA is one of my favourite areas of the state. Hope this is of some help.
AnswerID: 3602

Reply By: Darian - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
Yep to all the above - canoes can be hired - bout $30 a day I think.
Downstream (Ski Beach area) or the King site area is good too - shallower water for the kids to play around (depending on conditions).
dp
AnswerID: 3607

Reply By: Mal Try - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

John, I camped on the common 3 weeks ago. It's advantages apart from those mentioned are that you can camp right on the water's edge and the kids can swim safely under supervision. At the moment it varies from 1 to 2 metres in depth and has a gravel bottom. You can also fish while sitting on your esky. However it is very difficult to get the hook out of a tortoise. there is also an honour system for payment of fees as they have provided toilets now. The showers and toilets up near the store and pub are keept very clean. Quietness depends on your neighbours. We had good neighbours and no problems. Also the money for the Common goes to the community to improve facilities and not the Government. Cullyamurra is worth a look but I will go back to the Common again. Have a great stay. Mal Try.
AnswerID: 3611

Follow Up By: Ditzy - Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 20, 2002 at 00:00
Oh Mal, you enver said anything about the tortoise!
FollowupID: 1531

Reply By: John - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

John,
Been there a couple of times now on club trips, always prefer the common
Enjoy
AnswerID: 3635

Reply By: John N - Sunday, May 19, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 19, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks All

SOunds like it is down to personal preference.... have a look and choose. Thanks for the info though.

John
AnswerID: 3651

Sponsored Links