At least a balanced view on 4WD safety.

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:49
ThreadID: 11570 Views:2035 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
This was in today's Sydney Telegarph motoring section ...........

Sorting fact from fiction

*Officials believe the increase in 4WD fatalities reflect nothing more than their dramatically increased popularity and greater overall use.
* Crash test results are good for comparing one 4WD with another, but they do not tell the whole "crashworthiness" story.
* In car-versus-4wd crashes the car occupants are at a sustantial disadvantage because of the 4WD's greater mass and height.
* A 4WD's greatwer height makes it three to four times more likely then a car to roll over during a serious accident.
* Airbags in 4WD's and in cars have been shown to cut the risk of serious injury by about half.
* Driver impairment, either from alcohol or fatigue, is the single biggest causal factor in 4WD fatalities, accounting for 54% of deaths.
* Crash investigators say that the vehicle is a contributory factor in only 7% of 4WD fatal crashes.

** To access more info on road crash statistics : Australian Transport Safety Bureau : www.atsb.gov.au

Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:30

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:30
Hope the knockers get those facts shoved fair up their clackers.
AnswerID: 52070

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:39

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:39
They will totaly ignore them as usual. But it gives us ammo to fight back.
FollowupID: 313895

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:14

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:14
It is a balanced view, compared with today Herald Sun. I darn near choked on my snap crackle and pops, or MTW as one Callum is known to eat, FOUR (yes 4!) 50/50 comments bagging 4WD owners as morons who flout road rules and drive over medians and on the wrong side of the road in their road warrior "weapons of gross construction", I can't wait till the morrow when the next flood of anti4WD gobbledygook arrives for the easily lead to devour and spruik forth.

Bonz
I live to Serve
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 313903

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:27

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:27
Strange you should mention those tossers who drive over median strips. I've seen 2 in the last week whilst on the way to work in a total distance of about 6klms.
One did it to avoid a red light by going left and then straight over the strip, right, then left again to go in the direction he wanted.
The other past a set of lights in his haste to get to work( I suppose) and cut through in front of me to get into Bunnings carpark. He could have turned right at a set of lights couple of hundred metres back but that must be too easy.
I've been tempted a few times myself to do things I wouldn't normally. When faced by the enormous amount of lights in Perth metro area at every insignificant road junction, sometimes the frustration of driving here gets to me!
Try being a heavy vehicle driver and see what they have to put up with apart from pig drivers. They have to make very big journeys sometimes in order to turn right because there's very few roundabouts where they could turn to get to the road they want.
Gone off the track a bit there, but I reckon driver frustration leads some to do strange and at times dangerous things.
FollowupID: 313925

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:35

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 18:35
Seems this type of thing is not just in Melbourne. I have been tempted to drive over the median strip too (in the Patrol anyways). In the XR I just sit patiently and watch the other temperatures rise, and I dont mean the radiators. I sympathise with big rig drivers and I admit I have cut in front of a few in my time but that was a while ago, sooner or later one learns that the road is a place to care for yourself and for others, once I wouldnt relinquish a place in the traffic, now, well, who cares if you get there 2 mins later, even 5 eh?. Its a cliche to say ....at least you get there!..... But I always found that with all the rip tearing around you always waited for the meeting to start or for others get there or just got home earlier and sat on your bum for longer. Seems like I am an old Fart now, might have to share Lynda's blanket!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 313935

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 22:41

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 22:41
Hey Alan

"past a set of lights in his haste to get to work"

I can say that I am never in a hurry to get to work! Why would you be???

Steven
FollowupID: 313970

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 22:03

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 22:03
It was a pleasant surprise that article.

But it does drive a clear message, that ultimately it's the driver that is the problem and not the 4WD itself.

That would be true of any vehicle class, but as well all know 4WD's do need more care and attention to control.
AnswerID: 52141

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:46

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:46
From what I've seen Savvas, ALL vehicles should have more care and attention paid to the way they're driven. I'm not suprised in WA that people with no brains get licences, but I'm constantly suprised that they actually get to keep them!
But as the local Police seem to care about speeding only, I suppose it shouldn't be suprising.
Their own driving isn't up too much either, you should see some of their antics from the cab of a truck or bus!
I couldn't care less about the very intensive training they're supposed to undergo, a lot of them forget it as soon as they've got the pretty lights on top.
I dobbed in a copper motorcyclist some years back who'd been on the road for 3 weeks only, and he got taken off the road. If they've got the authority to hand out tickets they should be setting a good example as to how it should be done!
There I go, that bee in my bonnet is buzzing like mad again.
FollowupID: 314187

Sponsored Links