I know I know its been done a million times

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:14
ThreadID: 11583 Views:1401 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The time has come for a young at heart tour guide to put a dif lock into the rear of the old 60 1985 modle.
I have narowed it down to a detriot or a ARB air locker I am not a big fan of the air locker because I have to turn it on thats moving parts and cables and air hoses. The detriot just sits there and works. I dont need to think.
What are the pros and cons of either.

Many thanks
Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:20

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:20
With the Air locker at least you know it's working when you want it.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 52118

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:29

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:29
Eric,
After talking to you at the Sydney 4WD show, go for the one you don't have to think about.
Both are good, good and bad with both.
The detroit is realy an "unlocker". When driving the diff is locked all the time, it is only when you go around a corner that they work and unlock, allowing the wheels to go at diffrent speed and distance.
Good luck with your choice.
Wayne
AnswerID: 52119

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:37

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:37
Wayne im not sure how to take that first sentance LOL.
FollowupID: 313955

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:52

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 20:52
Eric,
Just don't think about it.
Wayne
FollowupID: 313957

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 21:17

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 21:17
Good day Eric,
Go the air locker, but don't use the ARB Compressor they fall apart on the corragations. Although the airlocker may have more moving part (maybe),they only move when you want them and not all the time when ever you go round a corner. Therefor having a lot less ware and tare
All the best to Janet and family

regards Big John.
AnswerID: 52134

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 07:00

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 07:00
How are you two nommies I hear your of with Peter again on a fishing trip.
Kaseys fine 13 going on 23 and im lucky KC knows every thing .
Coreys hes 9 years old now and hes lucky he got his farthers good looks.
As you said John dont get the ARB compressor it falls apart.
So when this happens no locker.

All the best
Eric and family
FollowupID: 314049

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 17:18

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 17:18
Ok , I dont think your correct on the detroit locker . The operation you explained is for a Lokka or Lock rite . The way i understand it , the Detroit will lock when it sences slip engadging the the pins , I was pretty sure this was the case when i drove my mates GU with rear detroit , I sh*t myself going around a bend when it kicked in on the black stuff , almost lost the ass end . they seam to work well in the mud ect . I have a LOkka on the rear of my 80 , very happy with it , works well on and off road , I do sometimes wish I could turn it off when I negotiate a tigh turn on bad angle . it sometimes drags you in the wrong dirrection . Air locker in the front is awsom , I only kick it in when needed . As to ARB compressor falling apart , this will happen if you dont rubber mount it , If you riggid mount it then you diserve what you get lol
AnswerID: 52201

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 18:38

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 18:38
Eric. Many find the Detroit locker a little unsettling especially on sweeping bitiumen bends under power as the diff can suddenly release and the car lurches. Also offroad it requires a different approach, sometimes needing to back off when turning to release the diff preasure. But don't let that put you off as they work very well, are a strong unit and you'll never be caught out fumbling for the compressor or locker switch. They just require a different driving approach. I went for the air locker myself mainly as I fitted two and I wouldn't ever fit a detroit, lockrite or slipper to the front as they seem to compromise the handling too much. Craig.....................
AnswerID: 52208

Sponsored Links