Rudall river to nifty mine to carrawine george

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 15:52
ThreadID: 11603 Views:2840 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I had info on this track but have lost it somewhere .The track I am refering to takes off from between Moses chair & christmas pool then heads west by north to Nifty mine then to Woody Woody mine . Seem to recall there being claypans on track that may be of a concern in June .Also have any of you heard of or have any info on Jinawarra & Billy Dunns caves which are also supposedly in this vicinity . Hoping there may be one of you great people out there can help .
Thanking you in anticipation .
Cheers Dingdong .
Whiskey 746
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 18:02

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 18:02
Dindong,
You may find something in "Trip Planning - Digital Mapping Data" on the menu above.
Only for down loading to OziExplorer or some other digital mapping software

Hope that helps
Cheers
AnswerID: 52206

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 19:35

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 19:35
as I type th surrounding area of Crawine etc will be being hammered by Cyclone Fay so I would definitely check conditions after this weekend as it was a Cat 4 cyclone. Should be okay by June but might be a little rough in places.
I hope to be out there in early May and can update then perhaps
AnswerID: 52211

Reply By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 21:44

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 21:44
Year Coops , give us an update fi you could please . Be there early June myself , i hope .
AnswerID: 52222

Reply By: joc45 - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 00:28

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 00:28
Hi Dingdong,
Supposed to have put this together for Michelle and David, but still dithering...
Have got some waypoints and track files for this route - drop me a line on:
gerron at bigpond dot net dot au
Don't know about the caves you mention. Last June, there were a couple of sticky spots on the claypans not far after the turnoff from the Rudall-Telfer road, but no probs, really. Reckon that it might be a bit different this year, tho, after Faye.
Gerry
AnswerID: 52235

Follow Up By: dingdong - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 14:11

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 14:11
Hi Gerry & others
Thanks for info we'll be leaving Geraldton May 31 meeting 3 other grey nomad couples in Meeka .I saw in Coates tour brochure Billy Dunns cave & Jinnawara cave supposed to be good art work but not been able to find location. Still working on it .
Cheers guys dingdong
Whiskey 746
FollowupID: 314090

Reply By: mac1 - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 19:59

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 19:59
Track from Moses Chair to Woodie Woodie-Niffty Road,
Turn west off Rudal river Telfer road just south of Moses Chair (about 3 to 5 km) about 10 km track veers south west for approx 15 km then north west thru Throssel Ra. (old survey camp on hill to north) about 45km to Lookout Rks. The section from Throssel Ra to Lookout Rks runs between sand ridges, quite a good road 7 years ago, Lookout Rks. Is in a north south aligned range of hills that you drive thru a gap. Once thru the gap you come to a “T” junction. This is the abandoned No.1 Rabbit Proof Fence. Follow it north for about 15 to 20 km. Where it veers westerly and meets the Woodiewoodie-Niffty Road, follow North westerly to Carawine Gorge.
Note that the Area between Moses Chair and a bit west of Throssel Ra. Has survey track leading of in all directions you need the one that runs between the sand dunes.
AnswerID: 52316

Follow Up By: joc45 - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:59

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:59
We took a track about 8km north of Moses Chair on the Telfer track, which is signposted "Nifty 69km". It more or less goes NW for about 25km to a road junction, then north, worms around a bit thru the Great Sandy, in between very long dunes. On the way, there is a lake, marked on the 250k as "old lake bed" which actually contained fresh water, albeit muddy (we were expecting a salt lake). As you get further west, the road gets better, till you get onto mining roads, but the main track gets you to Nifty, no probs. From there, to Woody Woody is a highway (literally)
Maps: 250k Rudall, Patterson and Nullagine
Gerry
FollowupID: 314124

Sponsored Links