After Uluru what next??????

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 22:38
ThreadID: 11611 Views:2260 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Well ....We finally have made our mind up and after many letters to the forum and lots of responces to our inquirys and taken alot of advice from those experienced 4wdrivers....we have come up with this...Before i mention the so call BIG trip lol...I just want to thank you all for steering me in the right direction...There's has been to much rain to worry about the gibb river and the Tanami trek has its problems as well at the moment so we will be giving it a miss...Where heading off good friday for 2 weeks...From Perth to laverton then down the highway to warbuton accross to docker river then onto Uluru...Ive Been through there a few years ago in a blink of an eye and my mate has not so besides devils marbles i was wondering what esle there is to see or is there any side trips you can suggest please...We want to go back the same way if possible or close to it...Looking at the map and bloody hell i have brought 6 maps and im totally confused now he he ....So again i call upon you experienced 4wd people who may have done this and know of some sites to visit in and around Uluru....Please bare in mind im not an experienced 4wd person at all...Though im keen to learn ....

Another thing i have the permits i need for travelling through those areas as well , I have a large long range tank as well as 6 x 20l gerrys and 100 litres of water...
I'm just starting to get my 4wd into shape and ready for the Gibb river in June /July so if anyones heading that way then i would love to tag along for the experience please other wise i would not tackle it on my own...I can tell you all this , the cost of things for your 4wd is very very expensive hey...Im all new to this and i must say i'm having a ball...Not been on the beach with my baby yet either ...Im just not comfortable about the thought of getting bogged...Sounds silly i know but im sure you all have been there when you started out...Anyways my mate an i are quite excited about heading accross to Uluru and it cant come quick enough as for Gibb river well that cant come quick enoug either...On that note thankyou all again and looking forward to your comments...

Regards Phil

P.S.Any other suggetsions for equipment for the 4wd you think i would need for the Gibb River trip please let me know so i can save some pennies to get the gear...it all helps....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 22:47

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 22:47
Hi Phil

Why dont you have a go at climbing Mt. Conner? It's not too far to the east of Uluru. Don't be put off at the sight of it from the highway. If you approach it from the south it portrays a much easier climb. I climbed it from the south in '97. It wont add too much to the kilometre count either. You can see both the Olgas and Uluru from the top.

Equinox
AnswerID: 52231

Follow Up By: Member - Phil F (WA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 22:55

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 22:55
Thanks Equinox....I'm making notes of all that respond to my enquiry so we can make plans for each day of what to do...Sounds great better take the digi camera with us on that one...The views would be breath taking.

Cheers Phil
FollowupID: 314040

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 08:12

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 08:12
We got very excited about Mt Conner on our first trip outback. Like many we thought it was Eyres Rock [called that then]. Camped near to Mt Conner on another trip. Actually in the middle of a track because the spinefex was so dense. So.... tell me more about climbing it. Have you done it? It's not restricted? Cheers Royce
FollowupID: 314056

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:54

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:54
I think that you will find that there is locked gates now , stoping entry to Mt Conner . Thay do toures out from the roadhouse and helly flight,s from Eyres Rock .
FollowupID: 314084

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 23:40

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 23:40
Phil..Geez you can carry a lot of fuel...must be a thirsty truck.

You mention the Devils Marbles again....they are almost 900km from Uluru!

Kings Canyon is very nice and a good walk. Take the Mereenie Loop Road back to Alice Springs and have a look at Gosse Bluff, drop in to Palm Valley, swim in the waterholes of the Western Macdonnell Ranges along the way. On the way home to Perth get a permit for the Gunbarrel to Wiluna and then back to the Big Smoke.

You can do the Gibb River Road in an ordinary 2wd car. It is just another outback road with stones, ridges, creek and river crossings and plenty of CORRUGATIONS!!!

Have fun
AnswerID: 52233

Follow Up By: Member - Phil F (WA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 00:35

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 00:35
G'day Willem...Geez mate...i must have a thing about theses bloody Devils marbles...I'll be dreaming about them soon...hehe...Thanks buddy im making notes on what to see...have to fit it all in now....

Cheers Phil
FollowupID: 314043

Reply By: Ian Bee - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 08:52

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 08:52
What problems does the Tanami have?

Cheers

Ian
AnswerID: 52255

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 09:09

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 09:09
G'day Ian,
The Tanami will be a bit of a mess for a while due to the above average wet season. So far, here in Darwin, we are around 300mm above average and it's not over yet.

Diesel 1
FollowupID: 314058

Follow Up By: Pyalong - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:54

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:54
G'day Diesel,
Is the tanami generally ok around the end of june?.

Cheers,
Mick.
FollowupID: 314282

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:25

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:25
G'day Mick,
The NT end of the track is generally maintained more regularly than the WA end due to the volume of traffic to and from the mines and would definitely be ok by the end of June. The WA end is a bit of an unknown factor due to all the other roads that need to be graded after the wet.

From what I have heard, the track has copped a lot of damage this wet season and I would assume that both the NT & WA would give it a priority rating for maintenance. Generally though, it is ok by the end of June.

Diesel 1
FollowupID: 314336

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:11

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:11
Some Suggestions Kings Canyon , Haasts Bluff, red bank , glen Helen, ormiston, serpintine gorges, standley chasm,, wallace rock hole, fing georg , boggy hole, hermannsburg, the list goes on. You can do that in a loop & head home the same way. With 270 ltr tank I dont think you will need the jerry's. I know you have 6 maps but if you haven't got Hema's Central Aust map get it as it shows all that & more.
AnswerID: 52274

Follow Up By: Member - Phil F (WA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 14:17

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 14:17
Sounds like we have a busy time ahead of us Bob and Lex...Thankyou so much for all that ...Looks like another ,map is about to join the others he he ...Well i better start making plans on what to see soon....Again thanks for all that...I will take some photos and and share with you on our return...

Regards Phil WA
FollowupID: 314093

Reply By: Member - Robyn - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 22:28

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 22:28
Phil,
My hubby and I have done that trip (great central road) and learned heaps in the process. I have some advice for you but will take up too much space here. Just to say that fuel is easy to come by (3 well stocked roadhouses en route) and I think you're carrying too much in your gerry cans. You probably only need 50 l water. Go to Giles Met station at Warakurna Roadhouse and to Lasseter's cave about 40 Kms on NT side of Docker river. Note that there is a different time zone (Central Western Time) starting at Cosmo Newberry (I think) and extending through to Warakurna Roadhouse. It's 45 mins behind central time so be careful that you don't get caught out in your fuel stops. Do not camp out along the side of the road.

Send me an email if you like and I'll expand on this reply.
AnswerID: 52510

Sponsored Links