Whats in your offroad kit?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:17
ThreadID: 11689 Views:2325 Replies:14 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
So what's the thing that everyone has in their 4WD kit?
Compressor for tyres? Fridge?? GPS?? Winch??
What do you consider the most important thing that everyone should have when they go offroad in their 4WD?
Cheers,
Jono
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:38

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:38
Jono

One of each of the above, perhaps the GPS is optional, but I personally reckon they're a very handy little unit.

Rule No. 1 is to be self sufficient. Most ppl are happy to help you with your OWN gear. But if there's no one around you need to be able to get out on your pat.

Rule No. 2 ... see Rule No. 1

Recovery points front and rear, 1 but preferably 2 snatch straps, a bundle of rated shackles, tree protector strap, shovel. I also carry a short length of timber to join the straps, but that's not essential ... unless you're in the desert, just saves scratching around for a stick.

Old sack as a cable brake, good jack and base plates ... I go for a high lift, but some ppl don't like them. Leather gloves, axe/tomahawk and/or bush saw.

The list goes on and I've probably forgotten something ... and that's just the recovery gear part.

Bloody expensive pastime hey??

Cheers
AnswerID: 52606

Follow Up By: macca - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:12

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:12
I agree with you Rosco, but how in the hell do I convince the navigator the gps is not a toy. Maybe she might reckon she will be redundant if I get one. Oh well I'll keep hammering away at it
FollowupID: 314462

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:06

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:06
Macca ... tis easy mate.

Take her camping to the beach, come back to camp after dark and run up and down the beach overshooting the mark as you try to find your site.

Pinch of you know what with a GPS and camp entered as a waypoint.

Seeya
FollowupID: 314466

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:52

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:52
Jono....Click on my Rig Pic.....detailed list
AnswerID: 52608

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:12

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:12
Jono, reckon that Willem has the long list I have the shortlist on mine but a longer list of all my travelling inventory that we use if you need that.
AnswerID: 52609

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:22

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:22
Different depending on the type of trip IM doing..

Day trip, weekend, long weekend, night run etc...
AnswerID: 52610

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:08

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:08
Mate,
All that stuff is good to have (it must be cos I've got it all + more)........

But.......................

The most essential thing to have is a HUGE DOSE OF COMMON SENSE.

That way, it'll be unlikely you'll get yourself into the brown, yukky stuff (I'm not talking about mud either) in the 1st place. In my case, I often forget to pack the huge dose and that's why I have to carry the other "important" stuff. All my gear lives in the truck 24/7. Fridge is always on with some drinks in it. Straps, shackles, axe, lump of wood, gloves, overalls, large first aid kit, torch (dolphin re-chargeable) + 2 versa-lites etc all live in cargo drawer. Compressor is hardwired in the back and plumbed in for airlocker and horns.

Another item which I consider virtually mandatory (in a wagon) is a cargo barrier.

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 52614

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 23:05

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 23:05
Well done Roachie -
"The most essential thing to have is a HUGE DOSE OF COMMON SENSE"

You beat me to it - the more remote the area is, the bigger the 'dose'.

All the 'other' stuff is permanetly in the car so I can't forget it - and the camp gear frig etc is in one cupboard for the same reason.

One thing people seem to forget, or dont know how to use, is a tyre pressure guage - a bit more regular use would help save our tracks!
FollowupID: 314559

Reply By: Member - Andrew R (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:22

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:22
Jono,

Exploreoz have done some lists for these things. Click on Vehicle requirements then Recovery gear.

have fun

andrew
AnswerID: 52616

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:33

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:33
You must start with a Snatch Strap and two rated shackles. Then do a 4wd training course. These are run by state organisations eg VAFWDC in Victoria and you will learn the basics of four wheel driving. This will enable you to decide what you need to take. What you need depends on many things and you will learn that from a course and experience. Just by way of example, a compressor and a tyre gauge are essential for sand driving. Chunky mud tyres are not the best for a beach. A winch is very useful if you intend tackling mud. Leave your road tyres at home for that trip. You don't need a fridge for a day trip to the snow, but it's very useful for a trip across the Simpson Desert. Having said that friends travelled across the Simpson with us and didn't take a fridge and managed very well. Getting the idea? Learn about 4wding first then tailor what YOU want and need according to the trip. Mind you in a Jeep I think the two major issues are range and load space for long trips. I'd be looking at extending the fuel capacity to something like the 180l in a Prado as a minimum. Good luck and you'll enjoy it!
AnswerID: 52618

Reply By: Member - MightyQ - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:16

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:16
G'day jonojeepster, whether you've got it all, or not enough. You'll always want more. Pack for 'your' individual needs then add what you don't usually take.
AnswerID: 52640

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:17

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:17
Jono,

In my way of thinking, none of the items you mention are anywhere close to being at the top of the list.

Consider your typical off road trip and look at the potential consequences of the things that could go wrong. Then think about the things you will need to reduce or eliminate those consequences.

You will probably come up with one of the following at the top of the list:
First Aid Kit
Sufficient Water
Emergency Communications

All of the items you suggest will provide little help in a life-threatening situation. They will of course be of benefit for many of the more common situations you will find your self in, but given a risk based perspective, they are all “Nice-To-Haves”.

Food for thought.

Pluto
AnswerID: 52641

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 13:21

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 13:21
The question was what is the most important thing to have so I agree with you - a decent first aid kit should be a priority irrespective of whether it's a day trip or a year long one.
FollowupID: 314495

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 15:00

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 15:00
And a fire extinguisher or 2.......
FollowupID: 314501

Reply By: Member - Frank - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:28

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:28
There is no end to a list if you really want to be self suficiant have a semi following you but for all that the first thing to start with is a shovel, then pick out of all the lists what you need for your trip you may even leave so behind when with group as you can split the load between you, lastly the common sence peice should also start when packing, i carry far to much to my mind but on last trip used nearly all of it

frank
AnswerID: 52643

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 18:04

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 18:04
The most important things to have are:
4x4 training
A well maintained car
Company (someone to pull you out)
Sense of humour & lots of patience
& a pair of sunglasses as it's always late when you're going home & the suns bound to be in your face.
(notice the GPS didn't make the list) Cheers Craig.......................
AnswerID: 52682

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 18:18

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 18:18
Jono,
All of the above, and as Roachie said a Fire Extinguisher. If you have a fire in the vehicle all will be lost. The fire extinguisher should be close to the driver, on the floor near the seat, not in the back attached to the cargo barrier for all to see.

Wayne
AnswerID: 52687

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 20:59
Jono,

Water, matches, first aid kit and EPIRB........... then a bunch of other stuff depending on what I am doing.

Hugh
AnswerID: 52717

Follow Up By: jonojeepster - Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 13:43

Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 13:43
Thanks for the response. I guess it's pretty hard to name just one thing as they all could be needed at some time. The first aid kit seems to be a common but I guess if you don't get hurt you don't really need it ;) Water would be a given I guess.
Since the first aid kit seems pretty vital what would be considered a minimum for this? I know there are some cheap little ones available but they can be pretty slack ie. just a few band aids and panadol.
cheers,
jono
FollowupID: 314886

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 01:24

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 01:24
Jono,

I have a St John Ambulance "Off-road" first aid kit. Comes in a plastic carry case with handle, about the size of a small tool box. The kit is very comprehensive and from memory was not all that expensive. I haven't had to use it yet but it lives in the car. Have a simpler kit that my wife carries in her car.

I won't list all the bits but main things are: first aid books; vials of general wound irrigation fluid; vials eye irrigation fluid; thermal blanket; field dressings; triangular bandages; elastic bandages, crepe bandages, eye patches; sterile dressings; adhesive tape; scissors; tweezers; burns sheets; safety pins; pain relief tablets; disposable glove; antispetic cream; bandaids; stingoze; etc

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 53333

Sponsored Links