Snorkel on Gibb River Rd

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 18:48
ThreadID: 117011 Views:5272 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day this is my first go so sorry if any mistakes.

Wanting to travel Gibb River Rd around July from Derby to Darwin and haven't got a snorkel fitted.
Have a landcruiser 200 series turbo diesel towing a Lotus Trooper 19ft. Do you consider it necessary to fit a snorkel?

Cheers,

Trusty56
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 18:56

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 18:56
Plenty of people travel that route without a snorkel, so not essential. At that time of year you should not experience water crossings deep enough to be a problem, unless you are heading up to the Mitchell Plateau or other side tracks.
But the other great benefit of a snorkel is a bit of clear air away from the dust, and for that reason alone I wouldn't be without one.
Enjoy the Gibb, and take enough time to enjoy plenty of detours - it's a great trip!!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 549726

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 18:57

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 18:57
Hello

Discussed the other day HERE. Have a read.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 549727

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 19:01

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 19:01
G'day Trusty56,

If you type "snorkel" into the thread find box at the LH top of the forum page it will bring up a few hundred posts asking that same question.

Thread number 111322 by Ian A7 asked that same question for the same trip about a week a go and got a heap of replies.

Personally I did that trip about 6 months ago and while I do have a snorkel fitted, and knowing what I do now, I would have one fitted to help with the dust more so than any water crossings.

I am sure you will enjoy the journey. Just take your time and lower tyre pressures and speeds.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 549729

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 19:09

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 19:09
At that time of the year, a snorkel shouldn't be a necessary requirement Trusty.
The Pentacost River crossing should still be low and water intrusion is one of the main reasons why I fitted one as soon as I could.

Think this way:-
You have an expensive investment in a quality vehicle and a snorkel will not only protect your vehicle from water ingestion, resulting in possible destruction of your engine, but also the cleaner air from the snorkel intake at or above roof level will result in less wear and tear of that engine over a prolonged period of time. This is much better than the standard location of the air intake under the front mudguard, which is only protected by a (plastic?) shroud.

A snorkel was one of the first additions I made to my diesel vehicle and they are not all that expensive to buy and have fitted, if you don't wish to attempt it yourself.
Have a look at the Safari, or Airtek brands which may be much cheaper than an OEM Toyota option.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549731

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 19:59

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 19:59
As mentioned, the Pentecost crossing might come up to your hub centres, but that is probably it.....and you'll be marvelling at the view of the impressive Cockburn Range anyway, so the water will hardly be on your mind :-). Re snorkels......also as mentioned, hell of a good idea to improve the cleanliness of the engine's air supply anyway - but particularly in the case of the 200 (reports suggest). Some owners have related instances of damage caused by dust - apparently, the dust has been getting past the air cleaner element in a number of cases. Being Mr Cautious (overly so, it is alleged) I'll be getting an Airtec* snorkel fitted before I do any decent gravel road travel in my new 200.
*Comment here and there suggests some owners have been unhappy with their Safari's - a good snorkel, but on the 200, it seems they can produce unacceptable noise levels. I had an Airtec on my 100 and that was a winner.
AnswerID: 549734

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 08:28

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 08:28
No definitely not required for that trip especially that time of year
AnswerID: 549750

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 09:17

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 09:17
I had my Patrol for 16 yrs an thought about a snorkel but never fitted one ,
did lots of water crossings ,never had an issue . You have to clean your air filter more often but , it travelled CSR, Cape York , Kimberely , Simpson .
no big deal really
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 549753

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:01

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:01
One of the benefits of a snorkel is that you can fit a precleaner like the spinner type or as in my case Unifilter filter "socks" that fit down the snorkel entry pipe.

You get 4 in a set and oil and change them every few days on dirt roads.

In this way I did over 1000K of dirt on the GRR and did not have to change my main filter until I got home to Sydney after a full lap in my D2. I fact I only recently felt it was dirty enough to change.

If you are towing a big van and have any regard for it I would imagine you will be often passed by cowboys in an impenetrable cloud of dust and stones as I was and I was doing 80Kmh at times, only towing my camper trailer.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 549773

Sponsored Links