Access to Eliot falls

Further to recent threads, what is the experience in getting a hybrid camper, ie Topaz, AOR Eclipse into this camp. Seems crazy that these smaller dedicated crossovers are either not allowed in or Parks Q just make it hard to access. Do they actually throw you out if you go there in a "caravan"?

What type of rigs have people taken into this site recently? Note I was there in 1997 and was a wonderful spot and don't want to miss out this time. Our Eclipse is actually only 0.8 m longer than the previous Aussie Swag camper trailer and much shorter than when opened out.

Comments welcome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 00:46

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 00:46
Outback Epicurean

Like I mentioned in the other thread, we have a Conqueror UEV 490. It is described as a crossover although WA Police Licencing have no description for it and call it "unlisted". Some parks class it as a small caravan when they see it, but when we explain what it is they accept it as a Camper Trailer.

We had no problems getting it into Eliot Falls (2014) and the crossing was quite deep at the time. The trailer is 4.9 m (16ft) from draw bar to bumper and about 4inches wider than a Landcruiser and it sits at the same height as the box on the roofrack.

Some of the sites are quite tight if you have side awnings, but they are quite deep so will take a flip over floor. I normally have a look at other sites I case we go back and need to book a better on. Site 13 at Eliot is rather large. We had 2 trailers 4.9 m and 7 m with both side awnings out along with a Landcruiser and Patrol and still heaps of room for a free standing awning and shower/toilet tent. Site 15 would also accomodate both of us but it was deeper than it was wide so would require some manouvering to get everything in.

As mentioned in the other thread, there was a larger van in the tour operators area .

We had no problems in any of the the other parks in Queensland we stayed in with having the vans in there (or Australia for that matter).

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 549747

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 16:53

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 16:53
I was there 3 years ago and I think from the map on the site had site18.
It looks like the picture on the website.
I was able with great difficulty to reverse my Camp'o'matic Hard floor into the car parking area , as there is little space to go forward to get the angle correct.

The only down side to the exercise is that I constantly had people trying to take the rest of the campsite , where one would normally put a tent, but we had paid for.

We were loath to go for a swim in the late afternoon as we felt we would come back to find squatters.

The toilets were poorly maintained and the ladies was running a banker, and the "local" rangers didn't seem to give a rodents behind.

There are only a few camper trailer sites so good luck.

Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 549772

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:24

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:24
As mentioned, there are suitable camp sites at Elliot.

Make sure you make it shallow crossing proof. You will have to get through the crossing in the linked youtube video. The creek (between fruit bat and elliot) generally doesn't get below the height in the video.

Enjoy.

AnswerID: 549774

Reply By: Member - Tony F8 - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 18:16

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 18:16
You could always set up camp at Canal Creek, you should have no trouble getting the van up near the old linesman's hut, then backtrack into Elliott Falls. It's only a 15 min run and Canal is a nicer place to camp.
AnswerID: 549777

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 18:34

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 18:34
We pulled our caravan into the falls in 2006
Look at the rig photo
AnswerID: 549779

Sponsored Links