Re handheld UHF radio

Q what handheld UHF radio has the longest range 1 -2 or 5 watts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 23:23

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 23:23
Hi Revs

If you are not sure how UHF radios work, then the higher the power, they better the range.

So from a small hand held radio, the 5 watt will win hands down for performance.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549942

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 23:25

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 23:25
Hi

5 watts..though at any one time other factors may play a part. .such as aerial and location. Anyway... Go 5..

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 549943

Follow Up By: REV'S - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 23:31

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 23:31
Thanks guys for confirming my thoughts cheers
FollowupID: 835333

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Mar 14, 2015 at 23:15

Saturday, Mar 14, 2015 at 23:15
The main thing that effects the range of portable radios is the antenna. Short dumpy ones will not be as effective as the longer ones. The other thing to remember is that they all have the same receiver sensitivity, again the antenna is the determining thing. It's no good having a powerful transmitter if you are not hearing the other party.

If you are after good range than select a transceiver that you can operate through an external antenna. Also purchase an external antenna with a magnetic base to suit. If you sit the antenna in the middle of the roof you will be able to transmit and receive further than an installed radio with a badly installed bumper bar antenna.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 549980

Sponsored Links