Comment: Satellite TV

Has anyone removed a Foxtel satellite dish from their house and used it in a caravan system? I have one on the roof from a previous tenant. It is about a year old. I thought I could make some legs, get the vast box and hook it all up. Anyone know if this will work?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:38

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:38
Possibly but you really need a dish about 800mm diameter to be sure of reception.
Depending on the LNB on it may have to change it as well
AnswerID: 551299

Follow Up By: DougE - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:57

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:57
Thanks TomH. Just googled LNB. I can get one for $37 delivered. The dish is only 750mm. Is it not worth pursuing at only 750mm?
FollowupID: 836783

Reply By: K&FT - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:50

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:50
G'day DougE

yes it will work in lots of places around Aus but not in the more remote areas where you really do need an 85cm dish. The bigger dishes are easier to aim and work better in rain.

If it is only a year old the LNB should be ok. You will also need a digital sat finder to aim the dish correctly. You can get ready made tripods and all the other gear from several reputable suppliers like satplus, satgear, vansat, accessantennas. I would advise you steer clear of Itechworld owing to poor reports from others.

hope that helps
frank
AnswerID: 551300

Follow Up By: Member - peter w2 (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:35

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:35
I got my vast from itechworld and no problems,if u want vast and foxtel i think you need the double lnb
FollowupID: 836824

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:52

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:52
Hi

No reason it would not work. Apparently against Foxtel policy but not sure its enforceable. I asked them about moving "top boxes" between houses (house and holiday house) and they didn't like the idea (i.e need a separate account), though doubt they have any real control over what registered box/antenna is connected at any particular location.

Some previous discussion HERE. If you do a search of the forum for "foxtel" you will get a few more old threads. Some rather strange posts from people suggesting you shouldn't be watching TV while on holidays/when retired..bit weird.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 551302

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 17:40

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 17:40
A friend connected his vast set top receiver to a foxtel disk on his house, worked well. Same satellite and LNB.

If you go up the centre of the country or the west coast, an 80 cm disk is best.

PS Don't worry about people saying you should not watch TV while travelling, they most likely do cross word puzzles or read a book, which they can do at home. Bottom line, you do what suites you, and no one else.
FollowupID: 836816

Reply By: craigandej - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 20:20

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 20:20
It will work. I took a Fox box from NSW to a remote community in the NT. I hooked the box to a dish I acquired, pointed it roughly the same direction as others nearby. The time and program times remained on NSW time though. Foxtel told me it wasn't possible, and I would need a new contract etc.

Cheers
Craig
AnswerID: 551356

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 23:32

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 23:32
I've had a Foxtel box in my caravan for 6 years - it's the "second" room. It's not what they want, but they know about it and haven't created a fuss.
I had an incident with my dish in Narrabri, and found an old Foxtel dish to use as a substitute until I got the LNB holder repaired on my main dish. It worked fine.
As indicated elsewhere, a larger diameter dish is preferable.

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 837017

Sponsored Links